Yummy salads that keep well (and how to store them) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I need some ideas. 

At the moment, I usually just chuck some baby spinach, tomato, maybe some avo and shallots on my plate each night.  But, I'd like to have some go-to salad in the fridge to just serve as a side with dinner every night. The problem is, every time I make up a big one, it doesn't seem to last long before going yucky, and then it is just a waste.

I'm not sure if I could be storing it better?  I normally just whack it in a tupperware container.

Does anyone else do this - what types of salads do you make, and what do you use to store them?  Not necessarily "garden" salad - anything!

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#2 of 5 Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My sweetie stores salads for his lunch throughout the week.  He usually uses romaine lettuce, chopped onion, red pepper, cherry tomatoes and puts in pepperoncini before eating.  I think chopped tomatoes, avocados and olives can make a salad get kind of weird when stored. 

Some fruit salads seem to do well with storage.  Pineapple, oranges, grapefruits and melons seem to store well mixed up.  Apples, pears and berries mush out.

#3 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

This one will last for at least a few days

1 capsicum, sliced

2 zucchini, sliced

1 large onion, cut into wedges

a couple of handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped

(you can use other veges too. Mushrooms would probably be good. Roast pumpkin and sweet potato is delicious. Some toasted nuts are also nice - pecans, pine nuts or almonds are my favourites)

1/2 cup dried cous cous

olive oil

lime juice or balsamic vinegar

salt and pepper

Toss all veges except spinach in oil, salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking tray and bake at 200C for 20-30 minutes until the edges are starting to caramelise. Cook the cous cous according to the directions on the packet. 

Make a dressing with olive oil, salt and pepper, lime juice/vinegar. Put veges, spinach, cous cous and dressing in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Serve warm or cold. You could also toss some halved cherry tomatoes through as well but I wouldn't store it with the tomatoes added.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Great question.  I love salads that can sit in the fridge.

This one has been a big hit:

http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2011/05/recipe-for-vegan-broccoli-salad-with-spicy-sesame-peanut-dressing.html

Here's another broccoli salad that my husband and I love, though what I love about it (the garlic!) makes it a mixed success at parties:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/broccoli-with-garlic-and-soy-sauce-recipe3/index.html

Here are some salads that are mostly make-ahead.  I've only tried the rice one, which is simple and good:

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/salads.html

This is delicious:

http://www.honeywhatscooking.com/2010/05/healthy-avocado-black-bean-salad-before.html

I also do massaged kale salads, though I'm still searching for the absolutely perfect recipe.  I made a very simple one and packed it alongside the rice salad for one road trip, and it was a great combination.

#5 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 PM

The most delicious Kale Salad ever!  Keeps really well and seems to get better over time!

Dressing:

¼ c apple cider vinegar.

½ c olive oil

2 tsps honey or agave

½ tsp salt

½ tsp  pepper

½ tsp dried oregano

Shake well and pour over kale. Add dried cranberries and toasted walnuts.  You can also add feta if you do cheese.

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page