Can my ex take me to court because I feed our son a vegan diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#2 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My experience with the court system is a lot depends on who has the nastiest attorney.

That said, I doubt that much would come of this for a couple reasons.

A lot of stuff like this is considered lifestyle choices and the courts won't touch them.

If you have 50% visitation, that means 50% of the time your son is eating whatever his dad thinks is healthy. Nutrition is not an hour by hour thing, it is an overall picture. That means your son is eating meat, potato chips, and sodas, or whatever your ex considers to be healthy. Assuming those nutrients were essential for growth, he is getting them while he's with his dad.

You may want to talk to your pediatrician. If your pediatrician has no issues with the diet (especially since your ex is feeding him other stuff,) then there's very little support for any concerns. Especially if your child is growing on a normal curve, is active, and doing well with milestones/learning.

You could ask your pediatrician to do some bloodwork. When we had to put our vegetarian 3 year old on a dairy free diet, I was concerned about B12. Even though she eats eggs, I didn't know if that would be enough. We had bloodwork done on her and our (then) 5 year old (who did do dairy.) The pediatrician's office called to tell us to stop giving our kids B12 supplements because their levels were so high. Ummm...no supplements besides fortified rice milk.

Maybe read: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Vegan-Eating/dp/1592579787/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330495069&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Vegan-Complete-Adopting-Plant-Based/dp/1570671036/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330494446&sr=8-2

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 AM

I agree with speaking to your pediatrician and getting medical documentation on your side. As long as your son is healthy, getting the right amount of nutrients and developing normally, I don't see this as something that would cause you to lose your share of custody.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#4 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Sure, he could take you to court. One can file for just about anything.

I third the bloodwork documentation. And I would also document your child's meals on a daily basis. You might also consider documenting the studied and proven health benefits of each food that you feed. Consider developing a written a plan on how you intend to meet his dietary needs through careful meal planning and balanced nutrition via each of the foods you incorporate into his diet.

This way, should your ex choose to file, you will be coming armed with loads of data that has been compiled over time. You look educated, organized, and well-researched. Your ex looks paranoid. :-)

#5 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was just doing a search on the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. http://www.ajcn.org/ I searched "vegetarian" and there are about 1200 studies. Amongst the first ten that came up were a couple on vegetarian/vegan kids. Guess what, says they're healthy. 

So, medical science is on your side.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 8 Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM

The American Dietetic Association says vegan diets are perfectly fine. Pretty sure they are THE authority on nutrition as far as courts are concerned. Blood work and a written diet plan could only help, as others have mentioned. Unless your child is unhealthy or looks incredibly malnourished you have science on your side. 

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#7 of 8 Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM

I don't have any advice but ((hugs))). I really hope everything works out for you & your son.

#8 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 AM

i hope he's laughed out of court.

dr joel fuhrman wrote disease proof your kids ... it has lots of good kid specific info :)

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page