delete - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

d

#2 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My smoothies have almond milk, raw honey, freshly ground flax, banana, mango, blueberry, and spinach. Right at the end I add chia seed. For the kids I add coconut butter and almond butter (I don't add them to mine because I'm watching calories.) I also add about 40% rice milk 60% almond milk to the kids smoothie. When it's all almond milk my son says it tickles his tongue, which he doesn't like. That's one of the things I do like about my smoothies.

I don't know anything about the powders you asked about. 

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing!!  I also heard something once that said that when you use a blender that the heat that it creates can destroy some of the nutrients in what your blending?  Is that true?

#4 of 26 Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Thanks for sharing!!  I also heard something once that said that when you use a blender that the heat that it creates can destroy some of the nutrients in what your blending?  Is that true?

I know vitamix and blendtech heat food really hot (you can make soup in them.) I would suspect the food loses as much nutrition as it does from normal cooking. My $40 blender doesn't get food that hot. My smoothies are still cold when I drink them.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 26 Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM

I would totally recommend Dr. Schultze's SuperFood Powder.  I am like a walking commercial for him after trying his stuff over the last few months.  =)

#6 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

d

#7 of 26 Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 AM

FWIW, Dr. Schultze does say all his things are either wild-harvested, or are totally organic (and also not ETO-sprayed, like a lot of "organic" herbs are). It has somewhat of a taste in a smoothie, but not too much~ definitely nothing a bit of raw honey or stevia won't take care of. =) Here is a link: https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php/Organic-Wild-Harvested-Herbs.html I do hope you find something you like!
#8 of 26 Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbing Rose View Post

FWIW, Dr. Schultze does say all his things are either wild-harvested, or are totally organic (and also not ETO-sprayed, like a lot of "organic" herbs are). It has somewhat of a taste in a smoothie, but not too much~ definitely nothing a bit of raw honey or stevia won't take care of. =) Here is a link: https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php/Organic-Wild-Harvested-Herbs.html I do hope you find something you like!

I love Dr Schulze's products.  They are the best!  In my opinion his poducts are so much more potent than anything you would buy at the HFS. I've been using his products for about 7 yrs and I can say I have never been disappointed.  .  DS is 5 and he actually likes the superfood just as is.  Been giving it to him on and off  since he was around 2 or so.    I used to mix it in some carrot juice for him but now I buy some pure blueberry juice and mix the superfood in that.  I just mix it in some water and drink it like that.

I've started making a smoothie for DS :

Juice of 1 fresh orange (or almond milk or combo 1/2 juice 1/2 almond milk)

1/2 banana

few pineaple chunks

1 teaspoon hempseed

1 teaspoon Flaxseed

5 almonds (got the idea from Dr Schulze's website)

probiotic powder

camu camu powder 1/4 teasp

teaspoon of coconut oil

Handful of spinach

Could swap out the pineapple for blueberry and add in a few teaspoons of yogurt.  I like coconut and don't have issues w using soy.

I use a vitamix so the almonds are totally smooth. 

Just FYI to previous post you have to blend a long time to heat up in the vitamix. 

#9 of 26 Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

d
#10 of 26 Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 AM

Here is the link for his website.  Its not cheap but I go on the auto ship for a few months and then cancel.  Its cheaper that way.

https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php/?c=1

#11 of 26 Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM

I wish I knew of a place to get them for less!  I buy right from him sometimes, and there are HFS in our area that sell his stuff too.

We are on a tight budget right now, but I think they are very worth it.  They *saved* me this pregnancy, not getting m/s, etc.  I don't know if I could function otherwise! 

You might also want to check out his Intestinal Formula #1s, or even just order his Vitality Pack.  His stuff has totally turned our health around- that and the keifer smoothies!  =)

#12 of 26 Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

d

#13 of 26 Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Banned

I would get the maca and hemp protein powders.

We also put Vega (vegan protein drink) http://myvega.com/, chlorella (pure algae powder), bananas, frozen berries and coconut water in our smoothies. Just make sure when your drinking a fruit smoothie to drink it on an empty stomach and make sure you don't eat anything else for 2 hours after or else the fruit will ferment in your stomach and you wont get the proper nutrients from your shake.

#14 of 26 Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM

I don't know why I didn't think to say this before, but Dr. Schulze has deals and specials.

Right now, he is having free shipping.  Lots of times, I have seen 10% off things I put in my cart, and he also has a lot of buy-two-get-one-free.  We get his paper newsletter in the mailbox and it has a lot of discounts in it.

He also has a special you can join if you want the SuperFood every month, for free shipping.

Those are worth checking out.

We make sure we get our smoothies in by making it our official breakfast food!  =)

It is my absolute favorite thing I have all day.  I think i could live on them.

We also 'have to' make them, because of the kefir cultures... we have to make more kefir milk, so the cultures don't die, so 'have to' use up the kefir milk we have.  It's good motivation for us anyway!  =P  Plus, my 12-year-old loves do it entirely by himself, while I watch.  Can't beat that!

#15 of 26 Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

d

#16 of 26 Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM

I totally understand!  I remember those days. 

(Honestly, I also remember eating chocolate cake for breakfast sometimes then too- cause it only took one hand. upsidedown.gif)

If it helps, we use frozen fruit that's already cut up, from the freezer section at the store.  We get berry mixes, and strawberries, so all we really have to do is peel the bananas and scoop in the raw honey and Superfood.  We don't cut anything up, unless we're putting fresh beet in it.... but we recently got a Vitamix, and that can handle a lot.

Maybe you could wear her on your back?  I used to put mine in the Ergo in order to cook and things, but now I have older ones to hold the baby while I do that.

I am started to appreciate my older ones even more.  You will be there before you know it- it goes by in a flash.

#17 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM

No, I wouldn't add any superfood powder things to a smoothie. Why waste your money? If you want to boost the nutrition add some spinach or kale to the fruit (spinach has a milder flavor and blends better than harder greens). If you want fat, add nuts. I never cut anything up for my smoothies, just peel the bananas. If I'm having a strawberry smoothie, I just dump the strawberries in whole. The leaves just provide some extra greens. I also like to use frozen fruit. Either bought frozen, or cut up and frozen by me. Then the pineapple or mangos or whatever is all ready for meal time. 

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#18 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 AM

Superfood powders are a total gimmick, nothing is easier or trumps whole fresh unprocessed fruits and veggies. Juicing is fine if you want a liquid meal but nothing wrong with eating fruit out of hand or big green salads either. You don't have to do much to make quality fresh ripe produce taste good. Your body can only absorb so many nutrients at a time and only in the amounts it needs, so all that expensive superfood stuff is money literally being flushed down the toilet! It's pretty comical to hear an advertisement say something like, 1 tbsp of my pineapple powder is like eating one whole pineapple! I always think I'd rather get to eat the pineapple....
#19 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 AM

Also, to add, juicing does remove a significant portion of the fiber in food. Fiber aids in digestion and absorption of nutrients, so maybe adding superfood powder is necessary to make up for loss in digestion efficiency when fruit and veggies are eaten in whole form... Just a thought...
#20 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 AM

The OP was asking what she could add to boost the nurtrition of her smoothies and juices.  Smoothies generally use the entire fruit or veggie so the fiber is still there.  Juicing of course does not but delivers the nutrients quicker.  That is why its a great idea to do both!!  I'm sure some superfood powders are a gimmick but if you read the ingredients of Dr Schulze's superfood it is far from a gimmick.  I'm sure you have read the benefits of the top 8 ingredients?   Just google them.    I juice and do smoothies everyday but still use the superfood some days. 

Spirulina

Blue green Algae

Chlorella

Barley Grass

Wheat Grass

Purple dulse seaweed

Acerola Cherry

Rose hips

Palm fruit

Lemon & Orange peel

Beet root

Spinach Leaf

Base of Dr Schulze's Non Fermentable Saccharomyces Yeast

#21 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Juicing does not deliver the nutrients quicker, juice digests quicker, meaning it runs through your colon faster giving the microvill less time to absorb nutrients, so it likely contributes to a decrease in nutrient uptake. Nature is very smart to incorporate some insoluble fiber in all plant foods, removing it has no benefits. And again, no matter what the ingredients are, "superfoods" are credited for their potency, their ability to "boost" the nutritional value of food preparations, my argument is that your body was not designed to utilize nutrients in the proportions present in superfood concoctions and will inevitably eliminate the excess, so essentially it is a waste to consume "nutritionally potent" superfoods. A few bananas and a mango or two in the blender, with enough water to liquefy is simple and perfect, providing sox. 700 cal, 10 g protein and meeting or exceeding rdi for over half vitamins and minerals, and that is just breakfast!
#22 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 AM

The benefits of juicing are well known. Juicing pioneers such as Norman Walker, Max Gerson etc etc have proven this.    As I said if you read up on spirulina, chlorella etc the benefits are obvious.  The nutrients from a banana and mango are different than the nutrients in Chlorella and spirulina.  I try to get all the nutrients from food  too but for some people its not always possible.  

#23 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 PM

What nutrients do you think are different or superior? Spirulina is high in iron but not necessarily an absorbable form, both substances have no definitive scientific evidence supporting their benefits as dietary supplements. Their is significant evidence demonstrating contamination of some of these supplements, like spirulina, and no production regulations for the industry, so basically you are just taking the seller's word for it.

I am not making a personal attack on you or anyone else. My mother has been a health/superfood/herbal supplement lover since I can remember and is actually in worse health than many others her age with a less healthy lifestyle. Her liver is in bad shape as well, which I suspect can at least be partially attributed to the supplementation for years on end...

Also, I am certainly not saying juicing is bad, just saying it requires more effort and is not as good as eating the whole food for multiple reasons. The pioneers you mention acknowledge that raw whole veggies and fruit are ideal. Personally I find juicing very inconvenient and time consuming.
#24 of 26 Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Maybe different things just work for different people.

I will say again, that since taking Dr. Schultz SuperFoods, and using some of his others things, this is the first pregnancy I have had without morning sickness, exhaustion, etc.  It is like night and day.

Even my DH wants to take them, and before he was not into this kind of thing, but he sees the difference too.

#25 of 26 Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelarose1 View Post

Also, I am certainly not saying juicing is bad, just saying it requires more effort and is not as good as eating the whole food for multiple reasons. The pioneers you mention acknowledge that raw whole veggies and fruit are ideal. Personally I find juicing very inconvenient and time consuming.

Honestly, I think it's a matter of opinion.

I know others (even IRL) who say juicing cured their cancer, and believe it is the healthiest thing available.

I think juicing is great and am not going to argue with people who cure cancer.  =)

I don't think it's worth debating here (for me anyway), as long as people are doing what's right for them.

#26 of 26 Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,I think it is great to hear different viewpoints on any health topics.  I like to be as informed as I can be, and exploring different sides of an issue is how I like to do it!  :)

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page