Anyone make their own veggie burgers? Will you share your recipe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm looking to start making my own veggie burgers. My dd loves the frozen ones but I don't love all the extra stuff that's in them. They are just so processed not to mention expensive. 

So any good and easy recipes out there? I'm especially looking for ones without soy. I'm not at all against soy but I do try to limit how much we use.

Also, a lot of the recipes I've found have been overly complicated with too many ingredients. Something simple would be great. 

thanks.gif

mama to three little ladies
#2 of 3 Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

These are very garden-burger like vegan veggie burgers.

1/2 cup thick rolled oats (first step is putting this in a bowl with 1/2 cup water)

1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, shredded or finely chopped
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
black pepper
oil to saute

1 tbs soy sauce (you could easily leave this out, add some salt and a bit of water
Dash vegan worchestershie sauce or pickapeppa sauce
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbs flax meal
1/4 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (I use pecans, almonds and cashews)

1/2 cup wheat gluten
1/4-1/2 cup more water

Preheat oven to 350.
Put the oats on to soak, then saute the veggies in olive oil. Add to bowl with oats, and add other ingredients up to the nuts and mix. Sprinkle gluten over the top, and add 1/4 cup water, then mix in the gluten. Knead this mixture for about 3 minutes, adding more water if it seems too dry. Use an ice cream disher to drop mixure onto a parchment or silpat covered cookie sheet, and flatten each patty. Bake 25-30 minutes, until firm.
I get about 12 small burgers from this, I use 2 in my sandwich, the LO eats hers torn in pieces and dipped in ketchup with the bread seperate, DH has 2 patties and 2 buns. If you freeze them, they can be reheated in the oven wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes. (I put on oven fries at 400, set the timer for 15 minutes, then stir the fries, throw the foil wrapped patties in with them and cook it all for another 15).

#3 of 3 Old 03-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's a link to my black bean burger recipe -- I put it online because it's so good I wanted to share.  :)  We've developed it over much trial and error and we love the burgers we get from it.  The recipe makes a LOT, so we usually make the whole batch and freeze more than 2/3 of the burgers in freezer bags for later.  We do use some soy in ours but you could leave it out without much trouble.  

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!

Tags
Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page