Super Veggie Lentil Taco "Meat" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found this recipe a couple weeks ago and have already cooked it twice, the kids and husband love it and it just ROCKS!! We've used it for tacos, nachos, Daiyadillas ;) it would work on any mexican style dish. Enjoy!

http://www.ordinaryvegetarian.com/2011/01/super-veggie-lentil-taco-meat.html

#2 of 16 Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yummmm...That looks good. Thanks for posting.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 16 Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 PM

sounds great!  we make something we call "awesome sauce" - it's a blend of cooked lentils and spaghetti sauce, spinach, garlic and walnuts, and it is really good over pasta or even as a chip dip.  the lentils give it a very meaty flavor, so I can imagine they'd be great to use as a meat substitute for taco filling.  thanks for sharing!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#4 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM

Hi there, avowed meat-eater here, however, I come from a family that was flexitarian before we knew there was a word for such a thing.  So - I used to feel like I knew my way around lentils, but then I went to that recipe...  brown lentils?  Ummmmm...  is there another name for those things?  Are they what would also be called the french lentils?

I'm feeling stupid.  And hungry.  smile.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#5 of 16 Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

That recipe looks like a great change from our plain beans...which we're actually having tonight orngtongue.gif

Re: brown lentils:

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-brown-gre-111139

I always use the red ones, but they fall apart easily, so I think I will try those brown ones, too!

MrsGregory likes this.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#6 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Oh yeah!  I have black lentils and channa in the house right now, and I frequently get the red (nummers - second the falling apart though, might as well just mash 'em) and the french lentils (which are amazing with vinegar!), but I had never, ever noticed a brown lentil.  Back to the health bins at my local Sprouts! 

eat.gif

#7 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 AM

I'm so glad you posted this, I've been needing some new recipes. Looks delicious!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#8 of 16 Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM

Yum, that sounds great! I'll have to try that! I love.gif lentils!!! Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

sounds great!  we make something we call "awesome sauce" - it's a blend of cooked lentils and spaghetti sauce, spinach, garlic and walnuts, and it is really good over pasta or even as a chip dip.  the lentils give it a very meaty flavor, so I can imagine they'd be great to use as a meat substitute for taco filling.  thanks for sharing!

Ohh.. this sounds great too! I'll have to try that! Thanks!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#9 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM

I finally found some brown lentils at an Indian food store so I'm making this soon. I don't have any smoked paprika so hopefully it still turns out okay. :)

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#10 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 AM

Um, YUM! Thanks for the link!

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, working mama treehugger.gif to DD shamrocksmile.gif (10/2010) and wife to a wonderful, opinionated DH Cuss.gif. We loveteapot2.GIF knit.gifreading.gif  trekkie.gif and ourdog2.gif.

#11 of 16 Old 06-23-2012, 08:00 PM

I made this tonight and it was really tasty!

#12 of 16 Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Looks so good! There is also a recipe out there somewhere for "Sloppy" lentils-I have one from a crockpot cookbook and it is SO good!  Don't have time to post it now, but if it can't be found on google let me know and I will put it up :)

Thanks for sharing!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#13 of 16 Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 AM

Meh.  I still can't find "brown lentils" - unless they're the ones just labeled "Lentils" at the local HEB.  I'm trying this recipe this week with a mix of de Puy and red lentils. 

I expect it will be very nom nom nom.

#14 of 16 Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtfulmamma View Post

I found this recipe a couple weeks ago and have already cooked it twice, the kids and husband love it and it just ROCKS!! We've used it for tacos, nachos, Daiyadillas ;) it would work on any mexican style dish. Enjoy!

http://www.ordinaryvegetarian.com/2011/01/super-veggie-lentil-taco-meat.html

OK, I finally tried this today and it is AWESOME!!!!  Mine didn't look "crumbly" at the end, but dang it was so good.  I also didn't use the cayenne (I didn't have any on hand and I don't care for super spicy).  Now I just need to find a good sub for sour cream.  I love putting sour cream on my tacos.  

I am willing to bet that this "meat" freezes well so I will be making a batch up just for the freezer!  Thanks again!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#15 of 16 Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 AM

It is pretty awesome. 

I went "off-road" with the recipe a fair amount - I changed the ratios and the method.  I used all red lentils.  It was good enough that the Mr. agreed it was pretty tasty - and he's not really a lentil kind of guy.

Specifically, I upped the carrot and mushroom content.  I put the onions, celery and carrots in at the start, and cooked them well, then added the pepper and 'shrooms.  I added less garlic, and then added more spices and toasted them.  I also added the tomato paste and toasted it before adding the bay and homemade veggie stock.

What came out of my pot would absolutely freeze well.  Too bad we're finishing it ASAP.  Even the baby liked it, and she tends to turn her nose up at spicy.  She must get enough heat from my breast milk.  Heh.

#16 of 16 Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM

Wow thanks for the recipe thoughtfulmamma! My family also loved it. They are requesting I make it again tonight hah :)

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page