Hemp milk or.... for 12 month old (instead of cow's milk)??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is almost 11 months and I'm still breastfeeding, but would like to introduce something else after she turns one.  I know the typical choice is whole cow's milk, but she had a dairy sensitivity when she was 2-5ish months old, and my son had a dairy sensitivity that developed before his 2nd birthday (which he has since outgrown)... so I'd kind of like to try something else.

I've heard recommendations for hemp milk but then some people say it doesn't have enough fat or other nutrients, etc. etc.

Without buying Nutramigen or Alimentum (the "hypoallergenic" formulas by Enfamil and Similac), what is a good option for baby milk (besides breast milk obviously LOL)?

Thanks!!

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#2 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 PM

As long as you are still breastfeeding, she doesn't really need anything else. Hemp milk would be a good choice in recipes if you want to avoid animal milk and soy. Personally, we use soy milk, it is a bit less expensive and higher in protein, and we prefer the taste.

#3 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 AM

I think hemp milk would be a great choice, it has more fat and nutrients than most other non-cow milks and doesn't have the allergenic problems of nut milks or soy.  As long as it isn't her main source of calories.  I've found the TEMPT brand to be the only one that tastes good. I buy the unsweetened version. 

I would highly encourage you to keep BFing as well. :)

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Both of my kids went on hemp milk at a year. They still breastfed until past 2.5, but they got hemp milk in a sippy when with a care giver like my husband or a babysitter. I like the fat profile, and that it wasn't an animal milk. They got the plain version- which has a lot less sugar. My 5 year old won't touch it these days, but my 3 year old still loves it. 

#5 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

Hemp milk definitely.

Babies shouldn't be introduced to nuts until they are 2. so no almond milk

No one should even touch soy unless its organic, and even then it is heated at such high temperatures that all the nutrition is gone

Animal milk has too many hormones, additives and chemicals and is hard to digest.

Hemp milk has:

• 900mg Omega-3 Fatty Acid
  • 2800mg Omega-6 Fatty Acid
  • All 10 Essential Amino Acids
  • 4 grams of Digestible Protein
  • 46% of RDA of Calcium
  • 0% Cholesterol
  • Potassium
  • Phosphorous
  • Riboflavin
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin E
  • Vitamin B12
  • Folic Acid
  • Vitamin D
  • Magnesium
  • Iron
  • Zinc

Calcium is synthetically added to most milks so do lots of research when you are feeding your babies. Breast Feeding is the best way to go, use a pump and freeze your milk.

* If your doing research and you come across a website that states and animal milk has natural calcium, stop reading a find a new site.

#6 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 04:19 PM

If you are BFing you don't need to introduce any kind of "milk" at a year. You can if you want to, but you don't have to.

joy.giflurk.gif

#7 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Um, water?

Once we wean from our mothers, we do not need to be drinking milk of any sort.  Better to eat whole foods and drink water.

That said, we use almond milk or flax milk.  Dh prefers flax, the kids and I prefer almond.  I like soy milk, but I don't like to eat unfermented soy, so we don't generally use it.  I think almond milk has a nice, neutral flavor.  Whatever you choose, I recommend you choose one that is unsweetened...these products are an easy way to get sugar into your child's diet without realizing it.

We mostly use milk substitute on cereal, but I do let the kids have a glass of it if they want (a habit they've learned from daycare since no adults around here drink milk by the glass).

#8 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM

we were recommended to use hemp milk, closest to cow milk in terms of benefits, most iron or almond milk, but I only use that since my son was allergy tested. hemp milk has great fats, good calcium, protein, carbs, etc. soy is slightly better but Im not sure about that much soy, also my son cant seem to tolerate, which is just as well.

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page