Gluten/Corn free Non-Dairy Milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are there any? We are mostly vegan, strictly gf, and just discovered a corn allergy, oh and DH can't tolerate carrageenan.... Are there any milks out there for us? I'm not crazy about the idea of making our own. We have used raw milk in the past and I wouldn't mind too much going back to that, but I would really like to stay vegan:(

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Banned

There is almond milk, hemp milk, and rice milk. We always buy Yu brown rice milk.

#3 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 02:34 PM

I think that most non-dairy milks are gluten and corn-free, it's the carageenan that is harder to avoid.

#4 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

To get gf, cane sugar free, dairy free, and carageenan free, I buy:

I buy Whole Foods brand organic unsweetened almond milk or Silk brand unsweetened almond milk. Also Trader Joe's has an unsweetened almond milk in its refrigerator case, but it has vanilla in it. I also buy Costco brand rice milk. Rice Dream is also carageenan free as is Trader Joe's brand rice milk.

Trader Joe's soy milk fits the above. I haven't tried hemp milk so I don't know if any brands would work.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM

Soy Delicious makes an allergen free coconut milk, and I think TJ's has started carrying one as well.  Also, Pacific brand carries a vegan oat milk which has no corn or wheat, if you can tolerate oats. They also make a gluten free hazelnut milk!

#6 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

If you are extremely sensitive to gluten be careful with Rice Dream. It is processed with barley, with minute traces left and despite being labeled gluten free has still made some people sick.

#7 of 19 Old 04-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The unsweetened coconut milk from So Delicious contains caregeenan. 

Food Blogger | Wife | Adoptive Dog Parent

Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Soy-free, Corn-free, Oat-free, Teff-free, Hemp-free

#8 of 19 Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM

MandyDugas, most brands of non-dairy milk (almond, hemp, and rice) contain corn derivatives. Canned coconut milk might work, but it does contain guar gum. I think there are corn-free hemp milks, but it contains carageenan. Mittsy stated they are sensitive to gluten, corn, and carageenan.

From my personal experience, I think the best way to go dairy-free, corn-free, and carageenan-free is to make your own milk (i.e., almond). I've tried to make rice milk, but it's too chalky and hard to strain. 

Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Soy-free, Corn-free, Oat-free, Teff-free, Hemp-free

#9 of 19 Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

To get gf, cane sugar free, dairy free, and carageenan free, I buy:

I buy Whole Foods brand organic unsweetened almond milk or Silk brand unsweetened almond milk. Also Trader Joe's has an unsweetened almond milk in its refrigerator case, but it has vanilla in it. I also buy Costco brand rice milk. Rice Dream is also carageenan free as is Trader Joe's brand rice milk.

Trader Joe's soy milk fits the above. I haven't tried hemp milk so I don't know if any brands would work.

SundayCrepes, do you know if those milks contain xanthan gum? That is a corn derivative. 

#10 of 19 Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 PM

We've stopped rice products because of the arsenic and lead. I have the Whole Foods unsweetened almond milk in the house and it does not contain xantham. By an odd chance I have Trader Joe's soymilk. It only has water and soybeans. 

MamaCB likes this.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#11 of 19 Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 PM

SundayCrepes, arsenic & lead in rice products?! Tell me more.

I don't have a Whole Foods nearby, but it's worth checking it out. What are the ingredients? I actually make almond milk at home; it's pretty easy.

Unfortunately, soy milk is no longer an option for me as I'm intolerant to it. But, thanks for sharing the ingredients list. That's good to know.

#12 of 19 Old 05-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Just google rice and arsenic and rice and lead. US rice has high arsenic levels, imported rice has lead.

I don't have a carton of almond milk right now. It's fortified with vitamins. I don't make my own because it would be more expensive.

#13 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Just google rice and arsenic and rice and lead. US rice has high arsenic levels, imported rice has lead.

I don't have a carton of almond milk right now. It's fortified with vitamins. I don't make my own because it would be more expensive.

Imported rice such as the Tilda brand that we Brits of Europe consume does NOT contain lead.

#14 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 07:56 AM

The last time I was reserching this, I read that every brand of imported rice that was tested had lead. This was in the US. I don't know about other countries. 

#15 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Okay, fair enough though we have to be vigilant with all foodstuffs, but importantly we must trust our brands be it 'supermarket own-brand', or internationally recognised brands of high repute.

Branding as we know is a massive big business in the consumer market, only we must make choices based on being very thorough in researching any possible health threat. Regarding Tilda, bought by the US giant Hain Celestial, last year made an important declaration that all their rice products were free of lead and contaminants. But unsatisfied, I went and did my own research which actually proved that Tilda rice was okay.

Lesser known imported rice can contain less basmati than stated on the packet. Some producers may say "100%" basmati when really they contained regular rice, even pudding rice - and that is fraudulent practice.

#16 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Maybe make your own almond milk?? I like homemade milk better than store bought stuff, but DD seems to think otherwise. 

Silk almond milk original

INGREDIENTS: Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum.

VITAMINS & MINERALS: Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2.

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#17 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 04:53 AM

How to make almond milk: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-almond-milk-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-189996

But how much of this almond milk would you need to consume in an average week? And how much is the retail cost of almonds? I googled the price of 'almonds US' and was surprised to see how pricey they are. Unless you could justify buying wholesale, that is. Therefore store-bought stuff might work out cheaper. 

#18 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 12:41 PM

Yes, I priced it, homemade is just too expensive. The one time I tried to make it my kids didn't like it, though I could figure that out. The silk ingredients listed are for the regular almond milk. I have to buy the unsweetened. That doesn't have cane sugar. I opt for the whole foods brand as it's organic and not that much more expensive.

#19 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittsy View Post

Are there any? We are mostly vegan, strictly gf, and just discovered a corn allergy, oh and DH can't tolerate carrageenan.... Are there any milks out there for us? I'm not crazy about the idea of making our own. We have used raw milk in the past and I wouldn't mind too much going back to that, but I would really like to stay vegan:(

Have you tried silk coconut milk? That I believe contains more calcium than standard dairy milk. It might be a good alternative for you. :)

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page