Veg*n Roll Call ... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post

Hi, I'm Sara, 32, and feeling really overwhelmed about what to eat!  I was a vegetarian for a long time then attempted to eat WAPF.  I just felt icky eating all that animal food so I recently went back to being a vegetarian.  I'm also attempting to cut out milk products and eggs.  Both of my kids have food allergies - wheat, milk, eggs, and peanuts.  I can make vegan meals and I can make GF meals but to combine the two is really overwhelming me!  We don't care much for the GF substitues although we have a really good GF bread that we order from FL and it's vegan.  I also try to avoid processed soy so that rules out all the tofu meals.  I'm been perusing some of the GF, soy free vegan blogs for inspiration. 

I am having similar frustrations.  I have been l/o veggie for over twenty years and my children are l/o.  Although I have no true allergies, recently I had food intolerance testing and have been trying to stay away from the severely intolerant items (gluten, dairy, peanuts, corn and oregano).  It has been really difficult.  I cannot even imagine eliminating the moderate intolerances which are such a big part of my daily diet.  I feel much better when I avoid those foods.  When I give up and just eat what I've made for the family (often includes gluten or dairy) my stomach issues return and I feel crummy.

Which GF bread do you like?  Is there a GF, and corn free, tortilla you like?  (I do not eat much bread but we eat a lot of tortillas.)

#32 of 43 Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Schar makes an edible GF vegan bread, but I don't know if it is also corn and/or soy free. Bread is tricky and expensive, we often eat sandwiches made with GF waffles instead, since they are easier to find or make at home.

We're not GF, but my daughter's best friend is very sensitive to cross contamination, so we eat GF a lot.  Trying to avoid corn and/or soy too would be hard. Some of our favorite dishes are GF pasta with carmelized onions, roasted, steamed or grilled veggies and a cashew creme sauce; tacos; enchiladas with sweet potatoes, black beans and mole sauce; stirfries with rice and tofu or GF tempeh; curried pumpkin or cauliflower with red lentils and coconut milk over rice or quinoa; and BYO salad rolls - greens, herbs, tofu, sauces, shredded veggies in rice paper wrappers. 

#33 of 43 Old 07-25-2012, 05:20 PM

Hi Vegan mamas!

I'm 32 year vegan in So Cal. My husband and kids are not but they do eat vegan meals about 5 days a week because they eat what I cook. :P I went vegan a year ago (but in the past had been vegetarian on and off for years.) I've lost 32 pounds and hit my goal weight, my hair and nails are growing amazingly fast, and I feel so much better. I watched Forks Over Knives last year and went cold turkey. ;) I have not been sick once since starting and the whole year prior I was sick constantly.

What is everyone doing for dinner tonight?

I am doing udon noodles, with broccoli, mushrooms, cashews, liquid aminos, a bit of coconut oil, and some nutritional yeast.

Desiree

#34 of 43 Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

I am having similar frustrations.  I have been l/o veggie for over twenty years and my children are l/o.  Although I have no true allergies, recently I had food intolerance testing and have been trying to stay away from the severely intolerant items (gluten, dairy, peanuts, corn and oregano).  It has been really difficult.  I cannot even imagine eliminating the moderate intolerances which are such a big part of my daily diet.  I feel much better when I avoid those foods.  When I give up and just eat what I've made for the family (often includes gluten or dairy) my stomach issues return and I feel crummy.

Which GF bread do you like?  Is there a GF, and corn free, tortilla you like?  (I do not eat much bread but we eat a lot of tortillas.)

I get the millet/rice sourdough bread from Sami's Bakery.  We order about 30 loaves at a time and freeze them.  It's almost as good as "real" bread.  I try to avoid the starch based GF foods because those are really tough on the digestive system.  I get the kids the GF tortillas from Trader Joe's sometimes but they fall apart easily and I don't like the way they taste.  I think they have starches in them though.  Sami's Bakery has some lavash bread that's really good.  I may get some of that for wraps for the kids for school lunches. 

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#35 of 43 Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM

The corn would be hard, I like the ezekial sprouted corn tortillas (or the Sonoma organic ones, non GMO.)  I don't eat soy though so I do find it difficult sometimes to use vegan recipe books, etc. How about this recipe for tortillas? No corn and GF: http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2012/05/10-days-of-gluten-free-whole-wheat-flour-tortillas.html

I'm going to try this tonight, it's soy-free vegan mac n cheese, you could make it GF too if you used brown rice or quinoa pasta instead? Going to add some veggies, I think the kids will like it...

http://happyherbivore.com/2009/06/soy-free-mac-n-cheese/

Desiree

#36 of 43 Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 PM

I've been vegan for I don't know how long, sometime in the 90s... Both of my kids are vegan and I'm single but my ex did convert to being vegan towards the end of our relationship. We mostly eat organic and local and I am pretty raw. I've been totally raw for about two weeks now (except for the occasional pasturized juice or coconut water) My kids are not raw though, my dd's favorite dish is mac and cheese which I make with organic buckwheat pasta and nutritional yeast.

Oh wait I'm not a vegan, I'm a beegan I will add local raw honey to my tea in the spring when I get allergies:)

I really want to get into raw kid friendly meals since I mostly eat smoothies and salads which my kids can't tolerate everyday, I guess they need more variety than me! I usually eat raw over the summers then default to cooked foods in the fall...

be good family...

#37 of 43 Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 PM

Hi, I'm a new vegan. Few days back I got a link titled "7 Pillars To Starting A Vegetarian Lifestyle" http://www.slideshare.net/vikbal78/7-pillarsvegetarian-lifestyle. It encouraged me to be a vegan. Though, I am only 32 years old. I do not know it is early or late to be a vegan but I am happy to be a vegan and enjoying vegetables. Now I invite others through this forum to be Vegan for happy and healthy life.

#38 of 43 Old 07-28-2012, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I hope it's OK for me to post here - I love the veg*n board.

Our family is a mix - my daughter is pescatarian (which means 99% l/o vegetarian, since we rarely eat fish), three of us are omni (I used to be l/o vegetarian), but lately we have been applying the principles of Eat to Live, so have been upping the intake of greens, beans, veggies (which everyone loves anyway), green smoothies, etc. We have switched to soy/almond milk from dairy milk and from white rice to brown - there are some great Japanese brown rices that don't taste as "brown" as regular brown rice, which we don't love - white pasta to Barilla Plus (I guess it still has white flour in it, but more protein?) DH also recently developed lactose intolerance, so with one veg and one non-dairy (goat OK) in the family, often it's just easier to cook veg or vegan. In a regular week our dinners might be pasta in various variations, black bean tacos (s. cream and cheese on the side), Thai curry with tofu, chickpea curry, miso soup, etc. This summer I've rarely had meat in my cart. So, I guess you could say we are mostly vegetarian at this point (not having a moral objection to eating meat, I don't have a problem with this "label" although I do realize that those who don't eat meat for ethical reasons would).

In any case, I like to visit here to find new ways to eat beans (!) other than the black bean taco rut and to find quick/easy veggie recipes.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#39 of 43 Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 AM

Hi Ragana! I’ve got some good news for you - Barilla PLUS is made me lentils, egg whites and chickpeas; all of these ingredients contain good proteins, making it a great way to sneak some extra nutritional value into your family’s diet. It also has 44 percent more protein and almost twice as much fiber than traditional pasta!  Be sure to check out the PLUS website for some tasty and healthy meals that your entire family will love. http://www.barillaus.com/aggregator/ricetta/1301?page=1

Enjoy your meal bouncy.gif

#40 of 43 Old 08-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

OK, now I'm sorry I posted the name of a specific brand - I'm not savvy enough to know that people from companies spam forums like this!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#41 of 43 Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

You know, that stuff would be great, if it weren't for the (factory farmed no less) eggs...

#42 of 43 Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

HI there... it's been a while since i've been on the forums!   i have a mixed family.  I'm vegan, and my 3 children (11yrs, 9yrs, 4.5yrs) are vegan, with my son also being gluten free.  My hubby is a meat eater, but eats mostly vegan at home. he's also gluten free.   so nice to see some gluten free vegans on the forums!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#43 of 43 Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been MIA for a while but always love coming back, especially to this board!

I'm a 36 y.o. SAHM to 2 kids (10.5 and 7) as well as to 2 cats and happily married to a US Navy man. I've been vegetarian for over 6 years and then finally made the switch over to be vegan 1.5 years ago. My DD became vegetarian ~1 year ago and my DS and DH are omnis, though DH thankfully eats all of my vegan food and we no longer have real milk or eggs in the house. Due to DS having extreme texture issues with food and vomitting pretty quickly, his food range is pretty limited. *sigh* He basically loves the 'white' food group, i.e. pasta, yogurt, cheese, bread.. but at least loves a decent variety of fruit. (Not so much veggies.. greensad.gif ) He does eat the occasional kosher hot dog (he doesn't like the vegetarian/vegan kind..) or salami, but that's pretty much it for meat. He doesn't like eggs either..

DD is a bit better with eating more of my food but to be honest most of the time I cook 2 different meals for dinner; vegan for DH & I, vegetarian/omni for the DC's... I seriously envy every family who's 100% strictly vegan! Not sure if we'll ever get there or stay a mixed family..

We're currently stationed in Sicily, Italy (no, it's not as great as one thinks, quite the contrary!..) since almost 4.5 years now, but will return to the US in 4 months and finally settle down in PA! I can't wait!!! joy.gif(Being vegan here in Sicily isn't always the easiest, at least not if you'd like to try things like vegan options for coffee creamer, cream cheese etc. I'm usually more for strict plant based food but it would be nice to have an option at least instead of only depending on veggies, fruit, beans and if lucky some tofu and soy milk!.. So yeah, I'm looking forward to return to the US for many reasons! winky.gif

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page