What's for dinner? Late spring into summer! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 146 Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This past week we've done a shepards pie and a homemade pizza. Tonight I think will be homemade crackers,white bean dip,falafel and cut veggies.

I really need to go shopping tomorrow

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#122 of 146 Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Tuesday night was quinoa with tomatoes, cucumbers, and baby spinach.  I dressed it with red wine vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice.  Served with whole grain crostini topped with blue cheese and a drizzle of honey (for the adults); plain for DS.

Last night was sun-dried tomato pesto tossed with pasta.  Although delicious, it looked kind of sad on its own.  I offered to make another side, but neither DH nor DS cared.  Less work for me and less clean-up for DH!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#123 of 146 Old 08-16-2012, 04:57 PM

Tonight was smoked split pea soup from Appetite for Reduction (it was good, but I feel like there was some spice it needed...not sure what tho') and bruschetta (chopped up kalamata olives, tomatoes from our garden, basil from our garden and garlic w/ balsamic) on some olive rolls.  I also made a frittata for breakfast this am with potatoes/squash/peppers and eggs from our CSA.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#124 of 146 Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Been experimenting with my new pressure cooker.  Its awesome.  Here are a few of the things I have made. 

Black Beans and Brown Rice bowls-Do the chipotle thing at home.  Layer of rice and black beans.  Top it w vegan sour cream,avocado, corn, onion, chopped cilantro.  Hot sauce for me. Love making beans in 8 miinutes.  Browm rice turns out great in the pressure cooker too.

Split pea soup,black bean soup, Lentil soup-  The split pea soup was great.  What I love about the pressure cooker  is that you can make a soup that tastes like it been simmered for a long time.  It cooked in aboiut 9 minutes!

Then I just let it sit  for 10 minutes and it tasted like I reheated it the next day. So good.

White beans w rosemary-  My son just loves this with some parmesan and olive oil.

Vegan loaf from the magical loaf studio.  Cooked lentils in the pressure cooker for this.  Done in 9 minutes.  Had the vegan loaf w mashed potatoes and garlic green beans.

Then on th raw side.  Have been making:

Zuchinin pasta w fresh basil pesto or a raw vegan tomato sauce,  Even DS who hates zucchini makes his own pasta and eats it w either sauce.  This sauce is so easy its crazy and so delicous. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu-uepHrUt4

Vegan ranch dressing made from cashews.  I have been making this alot serving w cut up veggies or lettuce. 

Vegan raw brownies-  These I bought but its amazing how a small little bite can satisfy a sweet tooth.

#125 of 146 Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM

My DD loves making and eating zucchini noodles too - and would never touch a zuc otherwise! I should make some!

Tonight we had baked chickpea cutlets with white gravy and cauliflower. I'm trying to fill my freezer for after baby so I doubled the batch of cutlets.

Tomorrow will be split pea soup - also making a double batch to freeze some. 

Wed will be sweet potato, corn and I'll probably make beans or some sort - maybe I'll try in my pressure cooker. :-)

Thurs will be veggie meatloaf and broccoli. 

Not sure beyond that...

Anyone have any recipe that you know freeze really well?? Most of the freezer threads on the due date club boards are very meat based. I'll probably do a lentil soup and a lasagna but I'm a bit lost beyond that.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#126 of 146 Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM

Last night was breakfast for dinner!  Frittatta with tomatoes, spinach, and cheddar.  Served with whole grain english muffins.  Quick and easy for a Monday night!

I never made it to the grocery store this weekend (soccer tournament) so we might be eating some random meals from the fridge / pantry.  

Vegan Princess:  Just some things off the top of my head are soups and veggie chili.  Or you could do batches of marinara sauce and pesto to serve over pasta or quinoa or polenta.  Make brown rice and black beans and freeze separately for rice bowls.  Not too exciting, but certainly satisfying.  yummy.gif

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#127 of 146 Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM

Kate: Does rice freeze and unfreeze well? Do you know if quinoa does? Thanks!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#128 of 146 Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM

Honestly, I've never frozen rice, but I feel like I've read of other people doing it!  It may not be perfect, but at least quicker than doing it from scratch.  smile.gif

#129 of 146 Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Stuff that may be a good bet for the freezer:

Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna

Bean/Cheese burritos (make and package so that you can throw them in the oven to heat up individually perhaps)

The chewy granola bars from smittenkitchen.com freeze well and are AWESOME postpartum

Bags of frozen fruit and spinach/kale for quick green smoothies (you could stock up on the shelf stable almond or coconut milk so that you have it on hand when you need something quick)

If you have a trader joes nearby (or even if you just check out their website) you can probably get a sense of what might freeze well based on what they offer in their frozen meal section.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#130 of 146 Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post

Kate: Does rice freeze and unfreeze well? Do you know if quinoa does? Thanks!

Cindy

I've frozen quinoa before and it was perfect.  I really want to cook up some things like quinoa and differernt beans and freeze them.  So that I always have them on hand. 

I'm tryimg to eliminate all canned beans.

#131 of 146 Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 PM

I've never really done my own beans but I really ought to! It really freaks me out how the beans foam up when I rinse them from the can - even if they're organic! Especially since you liked them so much from the pressure cooker!

Thanks for the tips guys!

Cindy

#132 of 146 Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Tried red lentil soup with lemon for dinner tonight.  Very good - one of my favorite soups now.  It's the toasted almond slivers that really make it special.  

#133 of 146 Old 08-25-2012, 04:12 AM

I freeze rice quite often when I have leftovers. I throw it into soup,burritoes and make fried rice with it after. I actually have a huge container of fried rice in the freezer right now.

I keep forgetting about magic loaf studio!!!

My ds won't eat zukes but dd loves them. Maybe as a pasta he'd attempt them.

This week's been a blur. We've done falafel & hummus,fried rice,miso glazed tofu and eggplant,dumplings,spring rolls,chickpea potato curry,sauteed red chard.

Tonight I was going to make pasta w zuke in it but I may attempt the zuke as pasta and hope for the best winky.gif

We're also making my bff chocolate mars cupcakes for my bff's dirty 30 tomorrow. I've never attempted them and have no idea if they'll be edible but she's a choco-holic and loves mars bars

#134 of 146 Old 08-25-2012, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I like to freeze a lot of crockpot-ready meals.  So many crockpot soups and stews require you to do a bunch of pre-cooking of onions and carrot and such before adding the main liquid ingredients.  So I'll do all that, then cool the results and transfer to a freezer bags instead of the crockpot.  It's easy to do very large batches this way, and I can get food ready for as many as three or even six meals (depending on how much needs to be precooked and can fit in one pan) in not much longer than it would take to do one. Then the night before I want to cook it, I take it out of the fridge to thaw (not sure if this is absolutely necessary) and plop it in the crockpot in the morning along with whatever broth/water/can of tomatoes is called for.  

One of my favourite recipes to do this with is the African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew from Vegan Planet, which someone copied partway down the page here: http://www.foresthostel.com/kitchen/recipes.  I chop ingredients for six times the recipe at once, then cook the onions, etc. in two batches.  Once I've added the spices, I cool slightly and divide in three then and put in freezer bags, then add the cubed sweet potato directly to the bag and mix it there, then do the same to the second half of the pre-cooked ingredients.  This recipe was meant for stove, which needs a bit more liquid than crockpot, so I reduce the broth to one cup when I add it morning of cooking.  Sooo fast to get dinner for six nights (plus a lot of leftovers - it is a pretty large recipe) basically ready.  

#135 of 146 Old 08-25-2012, 11:13 AM

I'm enjoying random CSA recipe planning.  Last night I made a potato/green bean salad that we enjoyed.  For lunch today I threw garlic, red onion, garlic, pattypan squash, spanish peppers, cherry tomatoes and avocado (!) in the skillet for a saute and then dumped the whole mess over some brown rice noodles.  A dash of pepper flakes and lemon juice and some pesto that we made last month (from the freezer) jazzed it all up.  I loved the lightly cooked avocado's addition to the bowl and the lemon juice tied it all together.  

#136 of 146 Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 AM

So I tried the zuke noodles and it didn't work irked.gif The boy just hates zuke and eggplant..sigh

Last night we went to a bbq and had grilled veggies and veggie burgers. This week is a clear the freezer so I can make room for preping meals for back to school...fun eyesroll.gif

#137 of 146 Old 08-27-2012, 06:15 AM

Tonight will be quinoa with corn/beans/cilantro and avocado.

#138 of 146 Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 AM

Monday night was gorgonzola and broccoli mac.  DS, who supposedly doesn't like bleu cheese, devoured it. 

Last night we ate out for a school function...veggie burritos.

Tonight will be some kind of pasta salad with tomatoes and fresh mozz.  Some of the tomatoes from our garden are shriveling so we need to use them!

#139 of 146 Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM

My son and I have been obsessively eating toasted tomato sandwiches with grapeseed oil mayo.  My friend has been sharing her CSA tomatoes with me, they are sooo yummy!  Tonight we're going to have rice spaghetti (Trader Joe's) with homemade marinara sauce I'm going to make in my Vitamix.  It's a new recipe so I'm hoping it will taste yummy.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#140 of 146 Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM

We've had a quinoa bowl kick going after the success of the southwest inspired bowl (fresh tomatillo salsa, poured over it all, really sealed the deal). So last night, ginger/garlic roasted chickpeas (I used coconut oil as the oil for the pan) and steamed broccoli over quinoa with a sauce I made up (the juice of two oranges, 3 T of tamari, and a T of ginger (reduced the sauce in the pan I'd roasted the chickpeas in)).  Today I made a red lentil/red sauce over rice noodles.  Tonight will be sandwiches (DW works late on Wednesdays).  

#141 of 146 Old 08-29-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyMamaofDaisy View Post

My son and I have been obsessively eating toasted tomato sandwiches with grapeseed oil mayo.  My friend has been sharing her CSA tomatoes with me, they are sooo yummy! 

I've been having toasted tomato sandwiches for breakfast about every three days to use up our tomatoes!   They're also delicious on whole grain english muffins and some sharp cheddar; then broiled in the oven.  yummy.gif

#142 of 146 Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM

Thank you for all the freezer tips! I wish food sounded good to me these days but nothing does, feels like the first tri again.

Tonight is sautéed zucchini, mushrooms and yellow pepper over rice. Going to try white beans in the pressure cooker and freeze a bunch.

Cindy

#143 of 146 Old 08-29-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post

Anyone have any recipe that you know freeze really well?? Most of the freezer threads on the due date club boards are very meat based. I'll probably do a lentil soup and a lasagna but I'm a bit lost beyond that.

baked goods

filling for stuffed peppers

I make seasoned beans in the crockpot and freeze half to pull out and use for burgers/patties/beanloaves, quesadillas/burritos, hummus, or to add to green or grain salads

curries. Just make rice the day of.

There's a chickpea casserole up thread, it would freeze well, just undercook the rice a little.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#144 of 146 Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM

I made a crockpot lentil stew, froze some. A prepared kale salad - kale, carrots, shallot ( i used garlic and onion). Make a dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, salt. Pour onto kale at least 30 minutes before to soften. This is really good, been eating it all week.

Lots of light lunches of crudites with a parsley, garlic, greek yogurt dressing/dip I've been making. Usually with a piece of fruit too.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#145 of 146 Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerMother View Post

I made a crockpot lentil stew, froze some. A prepared kale salad - kale, carrots, shallot ( i used garlic and onion). Make a dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, salt. Pour onto kale at least 30 minutes before to soften. This is really good, been eating it all week.

Lots of light lunches of crudites with a parsley, garlic, greek yogurt dressing/dip I've been making. Usually with a piece of fruit too.

I am so going to make kale salad tomorrow now! YUM!

Tonight I made a green bean, mitaki mushroom, and shallot stirfry with garlic sauce and sesame oil and ginger noodles. I skipped hte tofu I would usually add to the stirfry. I always include a major protien source in my meals (tofu, seitan, tempeh, beans, or faux meat) but I am getting tired of feeling like everything needs some kind of meat substitute. We eat way more faux meat that we should and I want to scale back. My kids are not interested in beans other than refried beans in a burrito or taco and they don't like tempeh so it gets tough and frozen chick'n pattie or soy sausages are so easy and yummy tasting.

I did make seitan 'nuggets' yesterday and 2 of the 3 boys liked them. We had them with corn on the cob and melon.

The night before I made the famous Veganomicon Chickpea cutlets with boiled potatoes and sauteed cabbage and onion.

I think before that we had rotini pasta with broccoli and Quorn nuggets.

See every single meal has a meat sub of some sort. It is fine, DH is an athlete and my boys all seem to be going through a growth spurt so we need to make sure they are all getting enough protien but I am tired of the 'meat model' at every dinner. I think I complained about this last time I posted. Obviously I am still struggling...lol

Other than that I have been on a cream cheese, alfalfa sprout, tomato, and onion sandwich kick. I have had 4 in the the last 2 days. Today needed to use up a big bag of eggplant a friend gave us to I made some ratatouille and quinoa to eat for lunches as well as some roasted eggplant hummus.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#146 of 146 Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post

Tried red lentil soup with lemon for dinner tonight.  Very good - one of my favorite soups now.  It's the toasted almond slivers that really make it special.  

We had this for dinner last night...it was delicious!  Thank you for posting.  smile.gif

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page