Forum Jump: 

#1 of 146 Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So this week ...

Curried cauliflower and red lentils

Black bean tacos

Pasta with broccoli, asparagus, spinach, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, avocado and carmelized onions

Whatever I can rustle up at my friend's house when I go over there - something gluten free and vegan.

Barbecued tempeh, roasted asparagus and drop biscuits

Tofu 'fish sticks', sweet potater tots, asparagus

Then I'm off to survive a weekend at a Science Fiction convention, where I will eat such models of healthy meals as canned chili, veggie dogs, tacos made with beans from a can, and fast food baked potatoes topped with store-bought hummus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 146 Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM

Tonight is onion rings, roasted asparagus and leftover pasta. Coconut cream pie for dessert.

I haven't planned anything for this week...but off the top of my head from what I can remember in my freezer..

Samosas and curry
Soup and bread or biscuits
Stir fry and sprouted rice
Baked burritos

I think I will have to go shopping at that point. Glad to see you are still around Catnip! I am a mod on a different veg forum and I always ask people to change meaty posts or delete them altogether.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#3 of 146 Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 AM

I'm trying to limit the amount we're spending on groceries and trying out new recipes/twists on things we usually have so I've been throwing a lot of stuff together. I also avoid gluten as much as possible and we don't do dairy. Here's what we've been eating and will be eating this week

-Tofu pb stirfry w coconut rice

-Avocado/pesto non-cream gluten-free pasta w garlic peas...turned out amazing

-Sweet potato falafel w veggie fried rice and "pickle" salad...dh tosses cabbage w corriander seeds,cumin,garlic,diced carrots,peppers and pickles and throws in pickle juice. The kids LOVE it

-Twice baked potatoes(baking a bunch in the slow cooker) with baked tofu and sauteed mushrooms and green bean mix

-Pb sweet potato soup prob w homemade gluten free bread sticks

-Twice baked potatoes topped with black beans/diced tomatoes/olives ect

-Mujadarrah in the rice cooker w steamed broc and some raw veggies

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#4 of 146 Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 PM

mmm, those all sound delicious!

This week:

~vegetable barley soup w/ sourdough bread

~veggie sushi rolls-recently tried making it myself & now I'm obsessed!

~sauteed tempeh & broccolini with herbs, tossed with quinoa shell pasta and a homemade creamy miso sauce

~veggie stir fry with brown rice & garbanzo beans

#5 of 146 Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Sunday I made a spinach and mushroom lasagna.  I actually used half spinach and half swiss chard for the greens.  Also, made a double batch of Tofu ricotta. Used the recipes from the Veganomican cookbook.  It turned out delicous.  Ds and I had it for 3 nights in a row.  I think I could live off it.  Anyways, made sage field roast sausages, sweet potatoes, broccoli and brown beans tongiht.  Banana ice cream in the vitamix for dessert.   Last night went out and had a black bean burger w creamy guacamole relish.  It was good.  Trying to get inspired for the rest of the week but I'm feeling really lazy.

#6 of 146 Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 PM

Love Field Roast Sausages! Taking some up camping this weekend. :)

#7 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM

Can I get the recipe for tofu fish sticks, spinach and mushroom lasagna and do you do anything special w/the green bean and mushrooms? I desperatly need to meal plan and I'm getting a few groceries tomorrow. We're not vegetarian but due to allergies I make a lot of vegan baked goods. I'm not so good at meatless dinners though. We're wheat free/gluten free.

#8 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 04:49 PM

The green bean mushroom sautee I do has a mix of onion garlic green beans mushrooms tossed w sesame oil,cumin corriander seeds,garlic powder and braggs. Simple and yum

#9 of 146 Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 PM

Last night: spinach fettucini with a pea puree (peas pureed with roasted garlic, a bit of olive oil, lemon juice and tarragon--oh, and the broth from cooking the peas)

Tonight was a vegetarian tater tot casserole (a special treat for DW)--the filling was parsnip/carrot/celery/peas/corn/pinto beans w/ a msg free cream of mushroom soup I found at our health food store, some milk, a dash of pickapeppa sauce, tomato paste, nutritional yeast and quinoa (and, of course, the tater tot layer on top)!  It was delicious ;) and served with ketchup.  

Tomorrow: quesadillas with mushrooms/spinach and beans

Sunday: party at our house soooo, salads, hummus, crackers/chip/pretzel sort of things, cheese, fruit, veggies

Monday: veggie burgers (possibly the black bean ones from veganomicon)

Tuesday: I'll figure out what leftovers from the party need to turn into

Brees-mom the spinach mushroom lasagna recipe that's referred to is from veganomicon, if you google veganomicon lasagna you'll probably find it online (and it is delicious--it's a great cookbook, so I do recommend buying it)

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#10 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM

I am in serious need of inspiration. DH started a job about 3 months ago and I am still not used to him working late. This means I have to make dinner for the boys and I at dinner time and have a plate set aside for DH when he gets home about 3 hours later. My boys are quite picky and don't like most dinners. I don't like cooking and have not been real intersted in food lately due to stress, so this all make dinner planning very difficult.

Last night we had tofu scramble, roasted green beans and sprouted toast.

Sat and Sunday we are having dinners with extended family, probably beans and rice both nights.

For next week all I can come up with is:
salad
vegan alfredo with broccoli
bean and ground seitan/soy tacos

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#11 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

-Sweet potato falafel w veggie fried rice and "pickle" salad...dh tosses cabbage w corriander seeds,cumin,garlic,diced carrots,peppers and pickles and throws in pickle juice. The kids LOVE it

-Twice baked potatoes(baking a bunch in the slow cooker) with baked tofu and sauteed mushrooms and green bean mix

Care to share these recipes?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#12 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:

The green bean mushroom sautee I do has a mix of onion garlic green beans mushrooms tossed w sesame oil,cumin corriander seeds,garlic powder and braggs. Simple and yum

Oh that sounds tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin'&hopin' View Post

Last night: spinach fettucini with a pea puree (peas pureed with roasted garlic, a bit of olive oil, lemon juice and tarragon--oh, and the broth from cooking the peas)

Tonight was a vegetarian tater tot casserole (a special treat for DW)--the filling was parsnip/carrot/celery/peas/corn/pinto beans w/ a msg free cream of mushroom soup I found at our health food store, some milk, a dash of pickapeppa sauce, tomato paste, nutritional yeast and quinoa (and, of course, the tater tot layer on top)!  It was delicious ;) and served with ketchup.  

Tomorrow: quesadillas with mushrooms/spinach and beans

Sunday: party at our house soooo, salads, hummus, crackers/chip/pretzel sort of things, cheese, fruit, veggies

Monday: veggie burgers (possibly the black bean ones from veganomicon)

Tuesday: I'll figure out what leftovers from the party need to turn into

Brees-mom the spinach mushroom lasagna recipe that's referred to is from veganomicon, if you google veganomicon lasagna you'll probably find it online (and it is delicious--it's a great cookbook, so I do recommend buying it)

Spinach fettuchini sounds so good! I wonder if a broccoli puree would work? My daughter is allergic to peas (and most everything under the sun). I'll be sure to search for the lasagna recipe, thanks!

I LOVE tator tot casserole. I meant to get some potatoes today so that I could make my own tator tots but I forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

I am in serious need of inspiration. DH started a job about 3 months ago and I am still not used to him working late. This means I have to make dinner for the boys and I at dinner time and have a plate set aside for DH when he gets home about 3 hours later. My boys are quite picky and don't like most dinners. I don't like cooking and have not been real intersted in food lately due to stress, so this all make dinner planning very difficult.

Last night we had tofu scramble, roasted green beans and sprouted toast.

Sat and Sunday we are having dinners with extended family, probably beans and rice both nights.

For next week all I can come up with is:
salad
vegan alfredo with broccoli
bean and ground seitan/soy tacos

How do you make the vegan alfredo? I'm guessing with vegan parmesan cheese and Tofutti cream cheese? Sorry to hear that you're stressed. hug2.gif

I found organic leeks today at Kroger but didn't get any. I also found radishes. Anyone have any recipes for either? Simple is best.

#13 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brees_Mama View Post

How do you make the vegan alfredo? I'm guessing with vegan parmesan cheese and Tofutti cream cheese? Sorry to hear that you're stressed. hug2.gif

Thanks, it will get better someday redface.gif I make the vegan alfredo with either cashews (and water) or silken tofu as a base. Blend it with nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder and onion powder, thinning with water or non dairy milk as needed. Quick and easy!

#14 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 08:07 PM

well pooey. I cant do nutritional yeast. My youngest has a yeast allergy and nut allergies. AHHHHHH!

And you're welcome :)

#15 of 146 Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 PM

Tonight we were supposed to have lentil soup. I got eight pounds of organic heirloom tomatoes for two dollars at our local produce store! Yay us! They were mushy but I made soup with them so it didn't matter. However, I threw all the ingredients in the crockpot and it seriously just, just finished at ten at night.

So, I quickly made snobby joes for my toddler girl, my third grader and me. My dh works most nights but I imagine he'll have some tomorrow. It was a big hit.

And now we have lentil soup for lunch and dinner for the next three days. Luckily, everyone loves it and will be happy about that.

I think that later in the week I'll make sauteed kale with chick peas and then possibly a veggie version of this taco soup the girls and I love.

:Mama to 2 :
#16 of 146 Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 AM

The tofu & pb stirfry is just a reg tofu sauce. Pb pureed w garlic,ginger,sesame,lime,cayenne and a touch of coconut milk and water to blend it out. Coconut rice is just rice cooked w some coconut milk powder and peas

Sweet potato falafel recipe was just cooked sweet potato,herbs and chickpea flour blended and fried...soooo good online has a ton of recipes

Twice baked potatoes are easy. I baked a bunch in the slowcooker then cool and cut them in half,scoop out the filling and mash with herbs and spices then put back into the skin and put under the broiler until browned and a touch crispy. Baked tofu was just tofu marinated in braggs,onion,garlic,ginger and sesame then baked.

#17 of 146 Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM

This week

Kidney bean/veggie shepards pie w salad

Baked beans w bubble and squeak

Lemon tofu in the slow cooker w fried rice and broc

Repeat of the avocado pasta...kids REALLY want it

Brown rice cooked in apple juice w spices and chickpeas and carrots,peppers, green onions,apricots and raisins

I've also just finished baking a batch of gluten free vegan brownies. I'm also roasting chickpeas for snacks this week.

#18 of 146 Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post

Tonight we were supposed to have lentil soup. I got eight pounds of organic heirloom tomatoes for two dollars at our local produce store! Yay us! They were mushy but I made soup with them so it didn't matter. However, I threw all the ingredients in the crockpot and it seriously just, just finished at ten at night.

So, I quickly made snobby joes for my toddler girl, my third grader and me. My dh works most nights but I imagine he'll have some tomorrow. It was a big hit.

And now we have lentil soup for lunch and dinner for the next three days. Luckily, everyone loves it and will be happy about that.

I think that later in the week I'll make sauteed kale with chick peas and then possibly a veggie version of this taco soup the girls and I love.

Wow, great deal!!

#19 of 146 Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:

The tofu & pb stirfry is just a reg tofu sauce. Pb pureed w garlic,ginger,sesame,lime,cayenne and a touch of coconut milk and water to blend it out. Coconut rice is just rice cooked w some coconut milk powder and peas

Sweet potato falafel recipe was just cooked sweet potato,herbs and chickpea flour blended and fried...soooo good online has a ton of recipes

Twice baked potatoes are easy. I baked a bunch in the slowcooker then cool and cut them in half,scoop out the filling and mash with herbs and spices then put back into the skin and put under the broiler until browned and a touch crispy. Baked tofu was just tofu marinated in braggs,onion,garlic,ginger and sesame then baked.

Interesting!

I've never tried falafel. Your potatoes sound really good!

#20 of 146 Old 06-02-2012, 10:47 AM

This week I'm REALLY trying not to shop for anything...and if I do just a few fresh things for the kids. I'm also lucky since I have my mil next door I can steal things lol

don't have a real meal plan sorted yet but a few ideas

Last night was Chickpea noodle soup(It was super icky and blah out...the soup was perfect)

Tonight is a black bean rice corn olive casserole. Im using up a teeny bit of frozen tomatoes/frozen refried beans and I have a container of avocado hummus frozen that im going to toss some in as well. Using up leftover rice from a lunch a few days ago. Really wish I had some daiya greensad.gif

Other meal ideas

Hummus pasta(have frozen spicy hummus im going to thin it out to lessen the heat for the kidlets) w veggies

BBQ chickpeas(stealing some bbq sauce frm my mil...I wouldn't buy bbq sauce I'd never use it. I'm just really curious about the recipe lol) and roasted cauliflower

Frozen soup and homemade bread

veggie dogs/macaroni salad and sweet potato fries

Coconut rice and pigeon peas.

#21 of 146 Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 PM

Started planning for this coming week but I am not getting very far.

We have the VERY rare dinner out (DH has Tuesday off and it is kid's eat free night at a family fav); roasted/grilled portabello, zuch, and eggplant sandwiches with fruit; vegan Pad see-ew; spaghetti with breaded eggplant and soysage; and something with green beans and potatoes, probably seitan.

#22 of 146 Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Ok, some ideas please.

1) What is sweet potato falafel? Yum!

2) Why do my falafels and black bean burgers keep disintegrating in the oil when I fry them?!

(I am GF with Celiac but I do use GF flour as a binder...is this not the right thing to do?)

3) In recipes that call for seitan, can I substitute tofu or tempeh? (cannot do seitan) I have just taken Veganomicon and Vegan With a Vengeance out of the library and want to do some of the recipes but a lot of them that look appealing to me use seitan, for example the chickpea cutlets as well as some of the asian marinade type things).

4)I can't remember my last question. redface.gif I'm sure it will come back to me.

ETA: Remembered. Ok: Does anyone have an awesome vegan chopped liver recipe? I know that sounds odd but it was one of my absolute favorite things when I ate meat and I kind of miss it. I used to make a passable one with hard boiled eggs but I am phasing out eggs and dairy (eggs are the last to go, truth be told...I"m having a hard time with that) and would like a vegan go-to recipe. Thanks!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#23 of 146 Old 06-03-2012, 06:58 AM

Sweet potato recipe..tho I didn't follow it exactly. And I did fry not bake. My guess is the batter is too runny

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/baked-sweet-potato-falafel-recipe.html

#24 of 146 Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 AM

I went over my amount that I intended on spending at the grocery store but I got a ton of stuff on sale. Only spent $20.00 so I'm still happy. Dh laughed and said "Just think. We'd have bought 1 strip steak for that much" lol.

Last night I made the hummus pasta. Turned out really really good for a throw together meal. I suggest it for anyone who has some hummus that needs to be eaten up quickly.

#25 of 146 Old 06-05-2012, 04:15 AM

Last night I made tomato curry brown rice with mushrooms and peas.  It was AWESOME.  So, in brief--cooked onion, garlic, ginger with 1 1/2 tsp of curry powder.  Added diced tomatoes and mushrooms then broth and brown rice (so basically cooked the brown rice by package directions using broth and with veggies/spices in the mix).  Once the rice was cooked I stirred in about a cup and a half of frozen peas.  Served with greek yogurt.  I think it would also have been good with chickpeas in it and with cilantro on top.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#26 of 146 Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM

Teeeheeee 2whistle.gif

I made the vegan eggplant rollatini recipe from Veganomicon, using the tofu/cashew ricotta recipe. Dh (who thinks he hates tofu) LOVED it and said, "what did you put in this cheese? It's fantastic!" 

yummy.gif

It was, indeed, scrumptious. I made it gluten free (used those asian sesame rice crackers as the crumb coating and whizzed them in the cuisinart). I served it with whole wheat spaghetti (for the rest of the gang) and gf corn pasta (for me) and a big green salad. Totally worth the patchke (fussiness). Out. Of. This. World. 

I took that book out of the library but now I think I am going to buy it on amazon. Any other good vegan cookbook recs?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#27 of 146 Old 06-06-2012, 06:12 PM

Doing an Asian peanut slaw and grilled portabellas tonight. Still hoping for Vegan pad se-ew tomorrow. Need to use up more broccoli and green beans over the weekend but I have no idea what to do with them.

#28 of 146 Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 AM

Last night I did the bbq chickpeas and had it with an "english breakfast". Popovers,eggs,fruit,beans,potatoes. Kids love breakfast for dinner

Tonight I think I'm doing a toss together pasta w canned tomatoes,veggies and herbs from the garden

Maciasci-I'm dying to grill some mushrooms!!! I think this weekend it needs to happen! I do a green bean sautee w onions,garlic,cumin soy and water that everyone seems to like around here. I roasted broccoli a few weeks ago...I enjoyed it the rest of the house didn't...tho they love roasted cauliflowerheadscratch.gif

#29 of 146 Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Any other good vegan cookbook recs?

I really enjoy any by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I'm a sucker for photograph-laden cookbooks plus every recipe I've tried has been fantastic!

#30 of 146 Old 06-10-2012, 11:26 AM

Kids went away for the weekend so last night dh and I went grocery shopping for the week

We had a frozen thin crust pizza and salad for dinner(cheap date nightwinky.gif)

Tonight were having some veggie kabobs I had frozen with some taziki we got on sale,rice,artichokes and salad

Plans for this week include

Honey baked lentils w rice and broccoli

Potato,cauliflower,chickpea curry

Baked beans

And whatever the kids bring home from their aunts house

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page