Mothering Forum banner

Struggling with getting enough calories

Tags
vegetarian
819 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mumkimum 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm having some major problems keeping my weight up since having DD and am really having a hard time figuring out how to get enough calories in during the day. I'm a vegetarian but do not eat a lot of dairy, my usual day goes something like this:

- breakfast 1 bowl of whole grain oatmeal made with raw milk, 1 banana

- lunch 1/2 avocado, wholegrain pasta or quinoa with veggies

- dinner usually an assortment of vegetables with either wholegrain rice, pasta, or quinoa and tofu.

In between meals I usually graze on nuts and seeds and generally have some wholegrain bread with peanut butter sometime during the day or after dinner.

I know I probably need to add a lot more nuts to my diet, the problem is that these meals really, really fill me up when I eat them and I find myself really struggling to get enough in. During the day I find it really difficult to find suitable snacks that are easy to make yet suitably calorie packed. The thought of making a smoothie during the day just makes my head spin- no way do I have time to do that with DD. DD is 10 months old but we are doing BLW so still breastfeeds a lot during the day. We also have a 7 month old puppy, so I get a huge amount of exercise walking him and running around with DD.

Any suggestions on how to boost my calorie intake?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sub full-fat coconut milk for some of your other milk, during the day (like in your oatmeal or in cooking your grains). Add flaxseed oil (or other vegetarian omega oil) on top of your food or in juice (good on salads or mixed grain-type dishes).

You can make a large batch of smoothies, and freeze them (using individual yogurt cups, plastic cups) - then take it out and keep on the counter until it thaws enough to drink.

Some kind of 'healthyish'' cookie or muffin (extras can get frozen so they're always available).

Simple coconut milk sauces for your foods (I make one we like that's simply the coconut milk simmered with ginger & garlic, then strained and pureed with steamed sweet potato. It's awesome with rice or with pastas). You can also add the coconut milk or nut milk-type purees into soups for easy-to-eat extra calories & nutrition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.