New Vegetarians/Vegans - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 05-01-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is another great site... lots of info for new and transitioning vegans/vegetarians...

EatVeg

Good luck and if u want any specific info dont hesitate to ask

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#32 of 38 Old 05-01-2004, 08:42 PM

Hi ! I have been a ovo-veg for 8 years now. My kids too (8 and 3) and my husband ( when at home)

**I too have had it up to here with the carnivore/herbivore debate.
And I thought the only thing worse than a smoker was a ex-smoker **
The negative stories coming from ex-veggie leave many questions.
But for 2 out of (100?) veggies to say they have health problems is to me, to be expected. What is the rate of health issues among the meat eaters? Bottom line, yes you may have health issues if you eat.

Pre packaged foods are a nice transitional item, and somewhat of a great mama-on the go item to have in the freezer. Think of it as any other junk food- in moderation.

I definitely got the most out of having Vegetarian Times and Veggie Life magazines laying around for a few years. Now, I have a great collection of cook books ( Moosewood is my new fave). But I also have fallen back in love with traditional cook books and magazines and adapt recipies. it is fun being a kitchen witch
#33 of 38 Old 05-01-2004, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysMama
**I too have had it up to here with the carnivore/herbivore debate. And I thought the only thing worse than a smoker was a ex-smoker **The negative stories coming from ex-veggie leave many questions. But for 2 out of (100?) veggies to say they have health problems is to me, to be expected. What is the rate of health issues among the meat eaters? Bottom line, yes you may have health issues if you eat.

Pre packaged foods are a nice transitional item, and somewhat of a great mama-on the go item to have in the freezer. Think of it as any other junk food- in moderation.

I definitely got the most out of having Vegetarian Times and Veggie Life magazines laying around for a few years. Now, I have a great collection of cook books ( Moosewood is my new fave). But I also have fallen back in love with traditional cook books and magazines and adapt recipies. it is fun being a kitchen witch

I wish i had vegetarian times and veggie life where i am

Oh well... you took my words right out of my mouth...

Yes i do eat prepackaged food but i want to try more natural foods.. once i find some good vegetarian natural foods cookbooks... i have a ton of books i need to go through still... i have probably about 15 from the library now..

im jus a reading fool... :LOL I saw the moosewood books at the library but they are huge... so i was kinda scared off.. but i might jus have to check them out.. u are another person who recommends them.. i must be missing something...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#34 of 38 Old 05-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Red

Ok, I'm not veg, though I have been in the past. My sister is a strict vegan. I often read vegan threadds to find a new recipe to cook for her whenen I visit her, or to learn health tips for her. I have a few questions. (And I wanted you to know up front that I'm not veg so that there would be no misunderstandings later.)

I read that someone said to soak your beans annd whole grains over night? Does that mean no 'quick-method' (boil 2 minutes, soak 2 hours). Does that include brown rice? Does it get mushy? DO you still cook it as long? And will someone please explain clearly, why?

A great resource for veg info is http://www.vegsource.com I've spent a lot of time there and am known as a regular on the parenting and women's issues boards. It's a very safe place. Everyone is welcome, is their motto, but there's very little baloney. (sorry, no pun intended. once I wrote it it was to silly to erase!)

And will someone please explain to me WHY every time anyone says they are vegetarian, do people feel they have to come along and tell them these stories of illnesses caused by eating veggies? What the heck is the point? It's not like you're saying, "Everyone must do this." Just that YOU do it and have a question or like it or whatever. It's so weird.

I know women who were unsuccessful breastfeeders, but I don't feel like I have to tell every breastfeeding mother I meet, Oh-oh, this might not work! Or if someone says they drink coffee every day, everyone doesn t jump in with possible side effects.

And I would absolutely think you deserve your own forum! These threads prove it.
#35 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia80
I saw the moosewood books at the library but they are huge... so i was kinda scared off
my sister gave me The Moosewood Restaurant Cooks At Home and I love it. I finally found a peaunt sauce I can do perfectly, and other little things. I find this particular one to be easy to read, and simple recipies.
#36 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.. i jus put a hold on it at the library... they probably think im nuts... im always in the library and have about 30 books out at one time... :LOL

#37 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 11:42 PM
pln

Hi there!

I'm a l-o veg (for 20 years) mom of a 7-month-old and I have found it extremely easy to be a veg. I have no health problems and my baby was 8
lb at birth.

I will say that I eat yogurt everyday with wheat germ, flaxmeal, almonds
and walnuts, in order to insure that my body is getting the B vitamins and
EFA's that I need. I have never had a problem (and never had a cavity).

My kiddo has no teeth yet so I'll wait to make any conclusions about his
proclivity for tooth decay. LOL

Another good magazine that is not TOTALLY veg but is "mostly" veg
is Eating Well magazine. THey focus on fruits, veggies, and whole grains,
with the occasional meat/fish recipe that you can easily change to be
veg. It's beautifully written, backed up with footnotes (important for an
evidence freak like me) and the recipes are excellent. Did I mention the
photos? Yummy...

Some other books I cook from frequently are:
Didi Emmons' books (Vegetarian Planet and Entertaining for a Veggie Planet)
Anything by Deborah Madison or Annie Somerville
World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey
The Splendid Grain (not totally veg but the ultimate sourcebook about
whole grains)
Pasta Verde by Judith Barrett (lots of ideas with veggies and pasta)
Healthy Kitchen by ANdrew WEil & ROsie Daley
Of course, anything by Moosewood/Mollie Katzen

I have friends who swear by Laurel's Kitchen, Horn of the Moon, and
CHristina Pirello's books, although I have to admit that I am not a fan--
the food is not described very well and many of their recipes have not
worked for me. IMHO only.

If you're looking for a good, science-based ref book about health
in general, I would suggest Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy by Walter Willett.
ALthough it is not strictly speaking a "veg" book, it gives quite a bit
of data that you could use to create the optimum veg (or otherwise)
diet for your family. I have found it indispensable.

Have fun!

Priya :-)
#38 of 38 Old 05-03-2004, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

: bump

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page