What are your jiffy-quick go-to meals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2012, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi Mamas! I realize this may be an old topic and I have already searched around a bit but I figured I'd ask anew:

We are in the middle of buying a house and about to move. It is a very fast-paced and stressful time. I have a LOT on my plate right now (no pun intended, hehe) and find I just do not have time to prepare the healthy veg meals I usually do, nor to do any extensive grocery shopping. So I'd like some suggestions on super-quick healthy vegetarian meals (we are not vegan). Here is a list of what I usually do but is getting boring:

~ simple salad

~ just buy any one or two veggies (carrots, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans are regulars) and steam them up then serve with with butter, Parmesan, nori flakes, etc.

~ when I don't even have time for chopping and steaming I just use frozen of any of those veggies

~ my son (just turned 2) loves plain pasta so I try to have that around and serve it, he even likes it cold which makes my life easier!

~ smoked tofu in slices or added to the veggies

~ open up a can of beans and add to whatever (DS also loves beans!)

All of these are incredibly simple, which is ok and I realize for so little time you can only get simple....but I am hoping to get a few ideas about combinations and things to mix together for a really quick meal.

When I was pregnant, in preparation for the birth I made a ton of frozen meals and that was great to have in those first weeks. I wish I had thought of that in preparation for this move but alas I only have a few homemade things left in the freezer!

We live in Germany and around here convenience food isn't as big (which is mostly a good thing!), which means that besides the frozen veggies I usually don't have much option for frozen or pre-prepared meals. Times like this I very much miss the deli and frozen aisles of Whole Foods, lol!

Thanks for all who can take the time to reply!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
A favourite quick pasta meal here is chopped fresh tomatoes and onions sautéed together, with some garlic of you like. Toss through hot pasta and add chopped fetta and some grated parmesan. An alternative is to replace the tomatoes with steamed broccoli or brocollini. You can add toasted flaked almonds to this one but you don't need to. We also sometimes roast tomatoes or capsicum instead of frying them. Takes longer but you can walk away and leave it while it cooks.

Baked potatoes topped with butter grated cheese and bought coleslaw or tomato pasta sauce.

Scrambled eggs on toast or baked beans on toast. You could also sauté a few veggies like onions or capsicum then add the beaten eggs on top for a sort of scrambled egg hash or deconstructed omelet.

They're our main ones I think :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 06-14-2012, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's never a bad idea to have a stock of easy-to-put together meals. Our meal plan is usually off one/two nights a week because I'm tired, DS is unusually grumpy/active/hungry. I try to give myself at least an hour to cook every night, but if I need something quickly, these are some of our favorites:

-burritos (I usually have cooked beans in the fridge but if not, a can of black beans or refried beans, veggies, salsa, etc.)

-mini sprouted pizzas - we use sprouted english muffins and top with whatever we have on hand - tomatoes, spinach, peppers, a little bit of cheese. 

-random "buffet" - I'll put out bits of different veggies, blocks of cheese, crackers, fruits, etc and we'll just snack on them

-stir fry - comes together quickly and we can, again, use whatever veggies we have on hand or need to be used. often, we make coconut curries that take a bit more time but are still relatively quick to make

Is using a crockpot an option for you?  You may also have luck tossing together something in the morning when you have a few minutes and letting it cook on low so that you can eat whenever you're ready. Honestly, the crockpot saves us at least once a week. :)

Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks for the ideas so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfulmama View Post

-random "buffet" - I'll put out bits of different veggies, blocks of cheese, crackers, fruits, etc and we'll just snack on them

Is using a crockpot an option for you?  You may also have luck tossing together something in the morning when you have a few minutes and letting it cook on low so that you can eat whenever you're ready. Honestly, the crockpot saves us at least once a week. :)

We seem to live off of random buffets! I love putting the different things in a muffin tin (a la Muffin Tin Mom)

I have wanted to get a crockpot for ages now but don't have one yet.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 AM

I usually throw together some sauteed vegetables and have already pre-cooked quinoa because it lasts and all you have to do is take it out of the fridge heat it up and throw the vegetables in. Then you can add things like chick peas and avocado depending on what vegetables you use. I love it!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM

CROCK POT. Live it love it wont go without it.

I've got a 5 year old,3 year old and a 7month old. Ds has school karate ect. Dd can't be left alone for a minute or she destroys my house..as in draws on walls and flushes things down the toilet. Dd 2 is on the boob...ALL THE TIME. Dh works odd hours and weere trying to sell our house. If I didn't have a slow cooker I doubt we'd eat.

Quick meals for us

Pasta w chickpeas,canned tomatoes and herbs from the garden

Brown rice and lentils thrown in the rice cooker together w spices. Side of steamed veg

Salad

Hummus/crackers/veggies

Rice noodles,spices,chopped veggies

Miso soup

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 06-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Lentils and carmelized onions with a dollop of greek yogurt. I like this plain or with quinoa or rice.

Before I was gf, I made this at least once a week. Toast walnuts (I only did this sometimes, often I added raw nuts at end) While you are cooking rotini type pasta, heat a large skillet over med-high heat. LIttle oil in pan, garlic, stirring constantly for one minute. Add broccoli florets. Add 1/8 cup pasta water. Cook 2-4 minutes. Add frozen edamame. Add another 1/8 cup pasta water. Cook 4-6 minutes. Add fresh herbs - I used thyme most, also parsley, marjoram, basil. Add 1/4 c parmesan and 1/4 cup oil. Salt and Pepper. Adjust oil to your liking. Pass with additional parmesan.

We do the random buffet every day for lunch. Seeds, fruit, veg sticks, nut crackers, hummus.

For the kids, when I have leftovers I know they won't eat,

-pizza on bread

-smoothies with hidden veg

-fried rice - leftover rice and veg, one fried egg, tamari.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerMother View Post

-fried rice - leftover rice and veg, one fried egg, tamari.

Do you add any spices to this? 

Whenever I make fried rice it lacks flavor.  I made it yesterday using brown rice (cooked in veggie broth), peas, carrots, a little pineapple, a little toasted sesame oil and tamari...it was bland; missing something. 

This is what I threw together tonight and it turned out pretty good (but we were all exhausted and hot after a day of camp so possibly anything would have tasted good to us!)

cold brown rice that was left over in the fridge

salsa

diced red cabbage

fresh cilantro

cubed avocado

mixed it all together and ate it cold.  It was refreshing and crunchy with a bit of a kick from the cilantro and salsa.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Pasta is my typical go to for quick meals. I always have spaghetti sauce and soy sausages ready for spaghetti.

Also cashew basil lemon pesto is yummy. Throw in a blender 3-4 cloves of garlic,4 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tsp mustartd powder (optional), 1 cup water, 3/4 tsp salt, 2 tablespoon olive oil, 2/3 cup cashews, and 3 cups fresh basil. Blend til smooth. Save some of hte pasta cooking water to thin out the sauce if you need as it can get really thick. I like this on rotini or some other hearty shaped noodle. Often I will top this with some cherry or grape tomatoes too.

Another good one I just thought of is a non authentic mu-shu vegetables. I sautee shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, thinly sliced onion and sometimes finely chopped broc and mushrooms . Then crumble a block of firm tofu. Make a sauce of hoisin, sesame oil, Braggs, ginger powder and garlic powder. Pour the sauce over it all, mix, and sautee till heated through. I generally just serve this with brown rice (make ahead and keep in the freezer) or noodles with a little sesame oil, Braggs, honey, and ginger. YUM! I think I will make this tomorrow!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

Whenever I make fried rice it lacks flavor.  I made it yesterday using brown rice (cooked in veggie broth), peas, carrots, a little pineapple, a little toasted sesame oil and tamari...it was bland; missing something. 

I'm always unsure about spicing fried rice too, so the last time I made it, I pulled out the Flavour Bible. It suggested anise and cinnamon. I was a little sceptical, but it was really good. I like ginger in mine too.

For greater things are yet to come...

Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

This is what I threw together tonight and it turned out pretty good (but we were all exhausted and hot after a day of camp so possibly anything would have tasted good to us!)

cold brown rice that was left over in the fridge

salsa

diced red cabbage

fresh cilantro

cubed avocado

mixed it all together and ate it cold.  It was refreshing and crunchy with a bit of a kick from the cilantro and salsa.

I saute some minced garlic and ginger 30 seconds before adding rice. I think The Farm cookbok suggests S& P, I skip salt since I'm using tamari or Bragg's but do add black pepper.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 PM

On really crazy nights I mix brown rice (I always try to have a bunch premade in the fridge or freezer) with a jar of salsa and a can of drained black beans.  top with shreded cheese.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigellas View Post

On really crazy nights I mix brown rice (I always try to have a bunch premade in the fridge or freezer) with a jar of salsa and a can of drained black beans.  top with shreded cheese.

Yup! Or slap some refried beans on a tostada & call it dinner! winky.gif We make that at home, but have also made it at rest stops & hotels while traveling. Technically it does not even have to be heated, although it's better that way. Top with anything you want/have - lettuce, cheese, sour cream, salsa, etc.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 07-04-2012, 09:24 AM

I make fried rice a lot.  I just throw in olive oil, rice, garlic, some Bragg's aminos and whatever frozen veggie I have (peas, carrots, corn, spinach, asparagas, broccoli, etc.)  I like the idea of having batches of rice frozen and ready to go!  I think I'm going to have to stock my freezer with some. eat.gif

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

Tags
Vegetarian
User Tag List