Having skin problems, affecting self-esteem, please help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-24-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To make a long story short, I was a raw vegan for 4 years. Actually pretty much a fruitarian. Got pregnant, severe morning sickness and aversions, only wanted potatoes. Got cravings for meat, gave in for a month during my second trimester, free range meat, but stopped by 3rd trimester.

Had the baby, went back to raw vegan, but after a month, unable to sustain it...sooo hungry and needing cooked starches again. Went cooked vegan, but started to feel increasingly unwell, started eating local free range ggs and felt better. Now high-raw vegetarian, but only eat eggs every once in awhile and cheese only rarely. I'm also gluten free and eat no processed foods. Drink loads of water.

But my skin is awful since I stopped being raw vegan. greensad.gif Soo red, blotchy and broken out frequently. I don't know what to do as I don't feel good on an all-raw or vegan diet anymore.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to find my way with food while breastfeeding my son and it's hard to know what to eat. I'm also 20+ pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight and can't seem to lose it no matter what I eat or how much I exercise. (Currently 140)

I'm 4 months post partum.
#2 of 10 Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 PM

Not food related, but have you tried the oil cleasing method? http://www.crunchybetty.com/nitty-gritty-on-the-oil-cleansing-method I use coconut oil for moisturizer and topical for breakouts.

After pregnancy, my body - pretty much everything - was different. My skin, hair. . . I pretty much had to rethink every product that had ever worked for me and find something new. It also was the transition from youth to "aging" skin for me.

FitMOmmyOf2 likes this.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#3 of 10 Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Maybe it's not necessarily directly connected to your diet, but instead to your hormones. You are no longer pregnant and you are breastfeeding. It's a whole new set of hormones for your skin to get used to. 

My skin got red and blotchy for awhile after being pregnant too.  It was itchy and red and dry and oily at the same time.  I think my body took a little while to adjust to the non-pregnancy levels of hormones.  What helped me was finding a moisturizer that didn't make my face sting and break out.  It does have coconut oil in it - also some beeswax, grapeseed oil, and not much else.  If I put it on my face twice each day, it really helped.  Also, wearing a hat when out in the sun has been very helpful. 

#4 of 10 Old 06-24-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:

After pregnancy, my body - pretty much everything - was different. My skin, hair. . . I pretty much had to rethink every product that had ever worked for me and find something new. It also was the transition from youth to "aging" skin for me.

I absolutely agree! It's been a big factor for me too; after the 2nd child even more so than after the 1st, but still!

Are you taking any supplements at all?

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#5 of 10 Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM

I was having the same issues and I found that my vegan and gluten free diet really helped! I highly recommend it! 

#6 of 10 Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM

My skin was always pretty bad--everyone in part of my family has rosacea and bad acne--but after I kept getting comments from strangers ("what's wrong with your face? are you okay?") I finally found this product and it has totally changed my skin. I was never even able to wash my face with water or any product without having crazy breakouts and blotchiness and rashes. My face was crusty and inflamed. Really, I looked like the victim of some rare disease and was shocked to have dermatologists confirm it to be rosacea. I always suspected/feared I had some major nutritional issue and had tried all kinds of things, but this is just a topical product and it practically "cured" me. There are two names for it: Rosacea-Ltd IV  and Acne-Ltd III, I tried it after reading a lot of reviews of it on rosacea forums--none were ever negative, but for some people it didn't completely "fix" their skin. There is a money back guarantee for 120 days--the downside is that it costs $98. But it lasts for about a year (for me, longer.)

The routine is this:

Drink tons of water.

Wash face with mild cleanser each morning and evening.

Use one drop of jojoba oil to moisturize face.

Immediately swipe on am or pm mineral bar.

Hope this helps you (or maybe someone else)! I know how miserable having major skin problems can be!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#7 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all, I really hope I can find a solution. 

#8 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 12:40 PM

You might want to cut out cheese. My mom has really bad acne and she swears that she breaks out when she eats cheese and chocolate.  I have some acne and have started to notice real change in my complexion since I've started Dr Fuhrman's eat to live diet.  You might want to give it a try.  It's not as restrictive as raw vegan--you can still eat animal foods in small quantities on the diet, the main thing is that 90% of food has to come from beans, nuts, veggies and fruits.

Good luck to you

#9 of 10 Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM

I have had Bad skin problems after each baby ( my skin is radiant during pregnancy).  Recently I read the Adrenal System & Liver/Kidneys are overtaxed by pregnancy/breastfeeding hormones.  I suggest digestive enzymes/probiotics and some baby safe cleanseing herbs both internally and topically.  Tumeric, Yellow Dock, Dandelion & Milk Thistle are good internally.  I make tea for my face when it breaks out and use compresses...Comfrey, Calendula, Burdock & Oregon Grape.  Feel free to email me if you want more details...mountainmommy707@yahoo.com

#10 of 10 Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A zinc picolinate supplement really helps.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page