I need snack ideas to keep my growing boys full. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am finding myself constatly telling my boys to get out of the fridge lately. I added up my grocery spending for June and wanted to cry. My spending 2 years ago (when I first started really paying attention) was about $450 a month and it has slowly crept higher and higher, but this last month was $800!!!

I know some of it is because summer fruit is more expensive and that is what they eat the most. Plus I try to buy as much organic as I can since most summer fruits are on the dirty list but I am finding myself buying the conventional berries more and more. I think I am going to just stop buying berries and stick with cheaper melons and such.

But I need other ideas besides fruit that will keep them full. The older 2 are rather picky so that makes it tricky but I am open to all suggestions. 1 of them is bound to like it right? Quick and easy (and cheap) are prefered since I don't like to cook. However, I will happily put more effort into something if it will save me some money and they like it.

Oh yeah, and if I can't cook it in my toaster over it isn't going to happen anytime soon. (I can use an 8x8 pan in the toaster) It is just too dang hot and we've already gotten our 1st $100 electric bill of the summer and it is only going to get worse until about October. So I am running the air as little as possible.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#2 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Not sure if you are vegan or veg, but if you are not vegan, cheese chunks have a lot of staying power. I don't think fruit sticks around too long because it is quickly digested. Boys do eat a lot! I have one and I do routinely spend that much on groceries each month. Sorry, not very helpful!

#3 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Would they be willing to add peanut butter to apples or to celery (if no allergy)?  The pb really seems to make it more filling to us!  Or, buy little whole grain tortillas and make small pizzas in that toaster oven.  Cheep, quick, and depending on toppings can be healthy and filling.  Also, how is their water intake?  I know that in the hot months, I feel more hungry if I am dehydrated.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 AM

Snacks with fruits ideas (that might use just a bit less fruit than they're using up now, or other forms that might save money):

Fruit quesadillas: tortilla with cream cheese (or tofutti cream cheese), berries, cinnamon sugar - I toast this & spread a bit of jam on top

Frozen berries (can pour a bit of milk/soymilk over for an almost-like ice cream treat, since the milk will freeze a bit) - might be cheaper than fresh, even getting organic sometimes, and they'll take longer to eat up usually.

Fruit tabouleh - soak bulgur wheat with equal amount juice overnight (or part juice/part water), add chopped fruits/berries to this, a bit of lemon juice and honey, and even better some chopped mint.  You can do the same thing with couscous - but that would need boiling water 

Applesauce (refreshing especially if kept cold)

Yogurt or coconut milk + fruit popsicles (the yogurt/coconut milk will make it a lot more filling)

Iced fruity herb teas - even make a whole pitcher with wedges of some stone fruit/citrus in it

Other snack ideas:

Chips & salsa - or chopped avocado with drizzle of olive oil, cumin, cayenne, salt & pepper

Toaster oven pizzas with jarred sauce on pita bread or english muffins, random chopped veggies (broccoli & black olive especially yummy), cheese

Toaster oven quesadillas with black beans, or avocado, or artichoke hearts and other ingredients - all fattier/more protein and therefore more filling

Hash brown patties - I'll even do a 'bigger snack' of eggs & potatoes sometimes around here in the middle of the afternoon if everyone seems unusually hungry, I think you can do the hash browns in a toaster oven too

Homemade yogurt dips - I use some of the various penzey dip spice combos with equal parts yogurt & sour cream, and then will put it out all week with all kinds of different veggies.  People here eat lots of cucumber.  Blanched green beans are also a surprise hit, and lightly cooked broccoli too.  I'll also have pretzel sticks out with the dip.  

#5 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Some great ideas, thank you so much.

I've also made some peanutbutter balls yesterday. I didn't measure but I mixed pb, powdered milk, honey, and whet germ. Then rolled into little balls. I might roll some in coconut for DS1. These seem to be going over fairly well.

Today I found an wonderful looking recipe for flourless zucchini brownies. They do have 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of honey but there is also 1 cup of almond butter and 1 1/2 cups of grated zucchini. A little more sugar than I'd like but they don't eat zucchini otherwise so it might be a good compromise for an ocassional snack. 

I am also going to make up some coconut milk, banana and pineapple popsicles today. I might sneak a bit of yogurt in as well for protein.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#6 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM

I also say WATER!!! I even notice when I up the water I prob consume 300calories a day less...easily. Then boredom is my second thing. I know boys eat a lot I get it BUT they also get bored easily and don't drink anything if you don't push it.

Popcorn

Pb sandwiches

hummus and carrot sticks

vegetable juice

smoothies

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#7 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

I also say WATER!!! I even notice when I up the water I prob consume 300calories a day less...easily. Then boredom is my second thing. I know boys eat a lot I get it BUT they also get bored easily and don't drink anything if you don't push it.

This is very true and I am going to try to encourage more 'fun' waters with a touch of fruit juice or mint etc...

I forgot we also tried chia pudding a couple days ago too. Coconut milk with chia seeds, blueberries, strawberries (or other fruit) and a little shredded coconut. Leave it to sit for a few hours or overnight and sweeten lightly.

I just need to remember to keep up with these wonderful ideas rather than make them once or twice and forget about them.

#8 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Some snack recipes I have planned for this week include nutritional yeast coated kale chips and some little truffle things made from cocoa, cashews and dates.  Yesterday I made some vanilla cinnamon vegan tapioca pudding and it was so delicious.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You mentioned zucchini brownies - we tried one of the black bean brownie recipes floating around the Internet & they were pretty good.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page