Camping food- GF and vegan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-28-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I thought folks might be interested in our menu plan for a 4 night camping trip. We're camping with a GF vegetarian family, and 2 omni ones.

We're going to try to keep the campsite completely gluten free. I'm marking the places where omnivores will likely want to BTO meat or dairy with an asterix.

The one thing I'm sort of undecided on is the 'bacon' on the last day. I don't think there is a commercial variety that is GF, so I am planning on making my own, I'm not sure if I should prep ahead and marinate in the cooler for almost a week, cook fresh, cook ahead and just reheat, or prep the marinade and slice the tofu and start it the night before. Any thoughts?

Monday dinner:
Hot dogs*, baked beans, vegetable crudite, cashew ranch dip, smores (Tofu pups are GF and vegan, I'm not sure what the safe graham cracker brand is, we're getting one package of dandies for the vegetarians, and regular marshamallows for the rest)

Tuesday breakfast:
Oatmeal with topping bar: raisins, cranberries, fresh fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, maple syrup, brown sugar, soy/cow milk*

Tuesday lunch:
Veggies and dips, nachos w/ beans and cheese sauce* (Nacheez brand is GF and vegan)

Tuesday dinner:
Spaghetti Marinara and green beans w/ toasted almonds, baguettes, hand cranked coconut milk ice cream

Wednesday breakfast:
Cheesy sausage biscuits*, orange juice

Wednesday lunch:
Salad bar*

Wednesday Dinner:
Taco bar: beans, rice, taco meat* (I was planning to make a lentil nut version for the vegetarians), salsa, avocado, Mexican lime coleslaw, cheese, crunchy and soft corn shells, solar oven cookies!

Thursday breakfast:
Skillet hash with soyrizo crumbles (eggs?*)

Thursday lunch:
solar oven BYO mini english muffin pizzas*

Thursday dinner:
Amy's chili cooked with brown minute rice, veggies and dip, banana boats (*?)

Friday breakfast:
Buckwheat pancakes with bacon* and maple syrup

katieraenall likes this.
#2 of 4 Old 07-29-2012, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Wow, you are one organized camper!! Everything sounds delicious!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 10:13 AM

This sounds really yummy!  What kind of solar oven did you use?  This week I made some energy balls in my food processor I thought would be a good camping snack. Cashews/dates/hemp seeds/cocoa powder, all processed and packed into little truffle sized balls.

katieraenall likes this.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#4 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

I just have a very cut rate model that uses a plastic oven bag and a cardboard reflector. We wound up doing the cookies in foil in the fire, but the pizzas were great.

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page