Protein and Fats (Raw/Vegan/Organic) for Toddler (16 months) with no Breastmilk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 16 month old daughter has been eating raw/vegan (mostly) since 8 months. When she was 12 months my breastmilk dried up due to being 20 weeks pregnant and the milk turning to colostrum which she did not like.

When I first got pregnant back in December 2011, she was 8 months old and my milk even started adjusting that point to where I would be feeding her every hour and then decided to start adding some green smoothies with kale,banana, almond milk, and carrot 9 ounces 3 times a day, into her diet along with breastfeeding every 4-5hours.

Again, once she turned 12 months, my milk turned to colostrum and she no longer wanted to breastfeed. The naturopath doctor I saw said that this is fine and that I should just continue the green smoothies and make sure I focus on feeding her as much protein and fats as possible. So, that is what I have been doing and she has been doing pretty well now even at 16 months although I'm a little concerned about her size and weight.

We saw the Pediatrician for her 15 month check-up and was told that shes in the 5th percentile for weight at only 18 pounds. And since her 13 month check-up, she had only gained 1lb. The doctor said she was growing though as far as height and her head. Her height is 29 1/2 inches. So she is petite, and growing slowly. I've read in relation to babies/toddlers/children who eat raw foods primarily that they will grow slower than others their age, but I'm just a little concerned as I want to make sure I'm doing that right thing with her diet.

I want to be as raw as possible but am willing to do some vegan (cooked) items as well. My daughter doesn't seem to have any specific allergies thus far and I'm trying to stay clear of dairy products, peanuts, and some gluten (sprouted grain bread like ezekiel bread is okay and my daughter seems to like it). 

Any suggestions to fatten up and grow my baby would be appreciated! Thank you!

Ezekiel bread and homemade bread

French Toast (yes, I do have organic chickens on my property :) ...an exception to my vegan rule as I'm so desperate to find things she'll eat).

Almond butter

Coconut Milk (put into smoothie)

Almond Milk (Put into smoothie)

Kale Smoothies

Banana

Avocado (some...baby does not like it much and so I try to put in smoothie)

Oat Groats (put into smoothie)

Grapes

Raisens

Panda Puff Cereal (last resort)

Other fruits like Mango, Watermelon, Apples, Oranges...

Corn

Chickpea cooked(not regularly...baby doesn't really like them)

Split peas cooked (I've put this in smoothie)

flax seed & flax seed oil

Olive Oil

Coconut Oil

Chia Seeds (smoothie)

Cucumber

Snap peas (not alot)

Carrot (juiced or smoothie)

*Her main source of protein is the almond milk and the fats come from either the coconut milk, avocado, banana, or flax seed oil. Her main diet is smoothies but I need some advice on other foods she will be interested in eating outside the smoothie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 AM

i am not certain.  i am subbing to the thread because i am very interested on what advice mamas have.  Sheepish.gif

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#3 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 PM

I have a 22 month old and we eat a similar diet but include eggs from our chickens as well. My daughter is also a smoothie addict. You are doing so much already, it's hard to think of more things. A few more things you could try are:

• adding spirullina to smoothies (this really helped my daughter put on weight, it has a lot of digestible protein),
  • adding hemp seed to smoothies
  • tahini (my daughter will eat it off a spoon like candy and you can make it cery easily at home)
  • sprouted and dehydrated nuts (my daughter especially loves cashews and pistachios)
  • home grown sprouts (she will just eat these plain but you could also add them to smoothies)
  • raw granola made with sprouted and dehydrated buckwheat
  • raw crackers

Tags
Vegan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page