I'm looking for some easy Indian inspired currry sauce recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've only been to an Indian restaurant once and I loved it!  I love how veggies dominate their recipes.  We don't eat fake meat at our house and we rarely eat fake cheese and I've been in search of more veggie based recipes and Indian seems like a good fit.  We're also trying to reduce our grain intake.  The trouble is that whenever I look up Indian recipes they always call for spices I'm not familiar with.  I know I could get them at an Indian grocery store but I try to buy organic, non-irradiated spices so I'm pretty much limited to what I can get from the Frontier co-op.  If I could get a few basic curry sauce ideas that would be great. I'm not necessarily looking for authentic Indian recipes because to be honest I wouldn't be able to tell the difference!  I figure I can make some kind of veggie, chickpea or quinoa based meatball to go in the sauce.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#2 of 6 Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I have tried a bunch of curry recipes from this blog and they have all been easy and yummy:

http://www.fortheloveoffoodblog.com/p/recipes.html

Most of them include lentils or chickpeas to "bulk" up the curry.  I haven't bought any special spices except garam masala, which I found local and organic at Whole Foods. 

HTH!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#3 of 6 Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This site is great:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

All veg recipes. All the ones I have tried so far have been popular w/ my family.

I mostly use Indian spice blends bought from the Indian grocery store, but these recipes are good and pretty easy. Note: she is Jain, so does not use onion or garlic, but you can add them if you like.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#4 of 6 Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 AM

Veganomicon has several very good almost-indian recipes that are a bit simplified (I think mostly of the tamarind lentils and samosa stuffed potatoes).  

I've also made this Nigella Lawson curry which was very good (the mustard powder isn't authentic, and a bit strong (ie. the kids didn't care for it) - the recipe would be just fine without it if you don't care for that either).

Several recipes we like and cook often that use fewer spices than others are from our Madhur Jaffery cookbooks: cauliflower with fennel and mustard seeds, lentils with spinach and ginger, gujarati green beans).  I've found her cookbooks very approachable and good (dh & I 'taught' ourselves to cook indian food by going through the whole of a few of her books, so we do the complicated recipes too and have accumulated a lot of the unusual ingredients by now).  But she has really delicious recipes, and I believe has 1-2 'easy/fast indian' types of cookbooks that would be very, very good and I would highly recommend.

#5 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Whole foods should have most of the spices in organic version. You Tube has some good videos for Indian foods but you'll need to know names or type, 'Chick Peas, Indian style,' maybe.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#6 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 PM

http://vegweb.com/recipes/delicious-pakistani-dhal

This is one of my favorite indian recipes. 

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page