do you supplement with D3? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi...

I'm wondering if everyone out there supplements with D3, and if so, how much?  My toddler (about to turn 3) gets 1000 IUs a day, as suggested by his homeopath.  Some in my life have a very strong, albeit, rather uneducated opinion, that this is far too much and could lead to toxicity.  I have seen studies quoted that say toxicity is rare unless you're supplementing over 50,000 IU's for an adult.  Any thoughts about this?  I live in New England, so we get precious little sun for a good chunk of the year, and from what I've read, the 1000 units is safe and necessary, but I will definitely cut back if there is evidence against it.  Thanks in advance!

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

We do! DD is 10 mos, has been getting 800-1000IU daily from birth at the recommendation of her pedi who is the least hollistic person I deal with!  We're in CT so same issue with not always alot of sun but we def get out as much as we can.  Between that, daily probiotics, and the Vit C she gets fairly regularly she's one healthy baby!  I'd add happy to that but as I type she's now screaming from her bed as we enter another phase of teething :-P Time to go cuddle! 

PS there's someone on the I'm not vaccinating threads who posts a TON of links about Vit D and the benefits of it for just about everything, I believe he's LouisW (or something along those lines)

Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much for responding!  I think I just needed to know that I wasn't alone/crazy ;)  That's a hoot about your pedi, I'm glad we've been supplementing so much now.  The homeopath/pediatrician who originally made the recommendation moved to Ohio, and I have yet to find a new doctor for my kids :/  

Good luck with the teething...we're in the same boat over here!

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along

Tags
Vegan
User Tag List