Picky eaters too risk to be vegan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just started eating more plant based diet. We are still eating eggs but I'm not sure if I can quit eggs. I'm worried about my kids who are picky eaters, and especially don't like any beans or legumes or nuts. They do drink store bought soy or almond milk if I make smoothie. And one of them eats cooked edame beans sometimes. 

All they eat is the followings:

Brown rice cooked with white, barley, some lentils and quinoa. 

Kimchi

Miso soup in limited quantity

Nori

limited amount of veggies: raw carrots and cucumber

edame beans in limited quantity

Tofu

some soy/almond milk

lots of fruits

It there enough protein in their diet? They do take multivitamin. 

I can see that vegans eating a variety of foods can thrive but what about these picky eaters who don't eat enough of beans and nuts? I'm wondering if I should continue with eggs and put back cheese in their diet. Recipes with cheese are so kids friendly too. Thank you so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I am far from vegan, but I had a few thoughts.  shy.gif

Could you do bean purees and dip pita chips/carrots/cucumber slices/celery sticks?  I've done white bean puree with roasted garlic, pureed edamame, and traditional hummus with pureed chickpeas.  I also just recently saw a recipe for sweet potato hummus which looks delicious!  What about pureed black beans (you could probably puree some avocado in there as well for healthy fats) and spread on tortillas.  Will they do salsa?  Tons of good veggies and my kids will devour any kind of salsa!

Will they do nut butters instead of plain nuts?  Spread on breads, crackers, and baked goods (or incorporate into the baked goods).  Maybe add to smoothies as well?  Then it's like a milkshake with soy or almond milk.  yummy.gif

DS has always been a huge fan of marinara sauce and pasta.  There are a million pasta shapes so it can be fun; add various veggies to the sauce and puree if necessary (or you could puree some white beans and mix into the sauce for more protein). 

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#3 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 AM

My kids are picky too and we are vegetarian. Well, DS2 isn't quite as picky and will eat beans and tofu, but I worry about DS1's protein intake. Nut butters are a great idea. Honestly from your list I wouldn't be too worried. We do eat dairy and eggs and it's an important nutrition source for them. I'm personally dairy-free so I don't cook with it, but they have access to dairy milk, yogurt and cheese sticks and would miss them if they disappeared from the house.

Whereas I can understand wanting to move your family toward a vegan diet, I also think there's time to do it slowly, especially since most likely as they age they'll get less picky. We only do organic or non-hormone dairy and organic or at least humane eggs, which makes me feel better.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#4 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. How do you make kids friendly bean dip? Mine don't seem to like strong garlic taste. Also if the colour is black or brown, they won't likely eat it. But they did eat hummus tortilla rolls today!

I think the trick is to keep offering healthy foods in different ways. I cooked minestrone soup with tons of veggies. They only picked out pasta but I guess some nutrients from the veggies were in the soup they ate with pasta.  

H

#5 of 5 Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 AM

i am going to be a first-time mama and i am vegan, but i nanny two boys-3 &6- who i feed every other day. they love nutritional yeast because of the earthy/cheesy flavor. maybe mix cooked edamame & lentils with nooch for a bean dip high in b12, protein, iron & calcium? carrots blended in there would be yummy, too.

the boys really love udon noodles with hot & sour, boy choy & sesame seeds. they also like to put a vegan aoli on lentil or chickpea burgers that i make. i mix in ground hibiscus with tomato powder into vegenaise and they just love it.

just some ideas!

i'm doing veganmofo (vegan month of food) this month, and the boys i nanny have a large influence on it, as does my meat-eating fiance.

stillheart.gif

kelly beth, hubby & beautiful baby girl (02-18-13) stillheart.gif

Tags
Vegan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page