What's for dinner? Fall to winter thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 103 Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been sick for a week, so we've been subsisting on takeout. Tonight I managed to cook edamame, broccoli, and quinoa and make a tahini sauce to eat with it. It was really good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 103 Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 PM

Well, I just bought my second pressure cooker.  I love my first one so much but I really wanted the smaller one so when I do beans and rice, etc etc I can cook them both at the same time.  Here are some of the things I've made these past few weeks:

Mushroom Bourguignon w german egg noodles from the Smitten Kitchen. Love this mushroom recipe.  Yum!

Baked Tofu w roasted broccoli and brown rice.  

Brown Lentil and veggie soup made in 7 min in the pressure cooker.

White beans w garlic and rosemary,sweet potato fries, broccoli.  Beans also made in 7 minutes.

Raw zucchini Pasta w tomato sauce.  For my husband I add a baked Gardein Chikn cutlet.

Black beans,Garlic cilantro brown rice, avocado, corn, vegan sour cream.  I found a recipe for Chipotle's black beans  online which is really good.

Sauteed swiss chard in EVOO, garlic tossed w whole wheat pasta.  Then grated in lots of toasted almonds

Vegan Loaf from the create your own loaf site. Served w mashed potatoes and green beans.

Pasta Fagioli(veg)- Tried a recipe by Mario Batali from the Chew.  This turned out awesome.   I made my kidney beans in the pressure cooker of course.  Used broken up lasagna noodles as the pasta. 

Chickpea curry 

If anyone has any pressure cooker recipes please post.  

Thanks

#33 of 103 Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

I've been sick for a week, so we've been subsisting on takeout. Tonight I managed to cook edamame, broccoli, and quinoa and make a tahini sauce to eat with it. It was really good.

Did  you do your quinoa plain? Also, how do you make your tahini sauce.  I have a huge jar of tahini in my frig I need to start using.  The last time I made tahini sauce it was not great.

I made it w sweet potato falafels.

#34 of 103 Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 PM

It was probably 1/2 cup each tahini and water, juice of 1 big lemon, 1/2 tap salt, and a couple of cloves of fresh garlic.

Yeah, it was just plain quinoa.
#35 of 103 Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM

Quorn pot pie but with biscuit topping

Harvest chowder

grilled veggie sand which

random squash pasta

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#36 of 103 Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Last night we did tofu ribs that were on sale and I'll never purchase again greensad.gif with scalloped potatoes,roasted beets,broccoli and a spinach apple salad.

We've been doing a lot of quick meals and easy meals to get thru the holidays.

Tonight is slowcooker Sloppy lentils,sweet potato fries and cut veggies

Tomorrow is slowcooker pasta

Wed is breakfast for dinner

Thurs is Thai noodle soup

Fri is Solstice dinner..still not sure what tho yummy.gif

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#37 of 103 Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 PM

We just had sesame ginger noodles and spring rolls.

The rest of the week I have planned:

bean and veg meat tacos

seitan, roasted sweet potatoes, and braised cabbage with apples

spaghetti with soysage and eggplant cutlets (TJ's pre-breaded and frozen, so good!!)

clamless chowder (made with oyster mushrooms)

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#38 of 103 Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I finally attempted to reproduce a vegan version of Olive Gardens Zuppa Toscana soup. It's a creamy sausage potato kale soup and of goodness me, it turned out far better than I expected. I used Gimme Lean ground “sausage” and coconut milk. 

We're huge Chili and cornbread lovers so we've got a big pot of that prepared. I used to think Chili wasn't good without beef of cheese but I've really grown to love vegan chili. We load ours up with onions, jalapenos, 3 or 4 types of beans, tomatoes, whole and diced, overloaded with garlic, bell peppers, red pepper flakes, corn... Mmmm.... on cold snowy days like today, it really hits the spot. 

Crystal Marie
Aspire to decency. Practice civility toward one another. Admire and emulate ethical behavior wherever you find it. Apply a rigid standard of morality to your lives; and if, periodically, you fail – as you surely will – adjust your lives, not the standards.

#39 of 103 Old 12-19-2012, 12:38 PM

After i made the random squash pasta...... which tasted like butternut once roasted (kids refused to eat it and ate salad instead?)

http://www.theppk.com/2012/10/roasted-butternut-alfredo/

I realized i had all of the things for sauerkraut soup and pre made it for dinner last night. Loved it and enjoying for lunch today.

http://www.theppk.com/2012/10/sauerkraut-mushroom-soup-shchi/

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#40 of 103 Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldumm View Post

After i made the random squash pasta...... which tasted like butternut once roasted (kids refused to eat it and ate salad instead?)

http://www.theppk.com/2012/10/roasted-butternut-alfredo/

I realized i had all of the things for sauerkraut soup and pre made it for dinner last night. Loved it and enjoying for lunch today.

http://www.theppk.com/2012/10/sauerkraut-mushroom-soup-shchi/

I'm totally bookmarking that squash pasta but I doubt mine will eat it either eyesroll.gif

Last night we had baked balsamic glazed tofu,slow cooker dijon potatoes,peas,green beans w mushrooms sauteed in braggs and "pickle" salad which is shredded cabbage,carrot,peppers,dill pickles with a dressing of oil,pickle juice,cumin and corriander seeds. It was a throw together by my dh and it became a fave of the kids.

Tonight is Kidney bean curry in the slow cooker,rice,onion bajhis,naan,garlic steamed broccoli,sauteed kale w lemon and a carrot salad w a lemon,dijon,cumin and honey dressing.

Tomorrow some friends are coming for dinner. We're having lasagna with sauteed onion,garlic,eggplant,zuke,mushrooma and peppers pureed into tofu to make a ricotta. I puree the veggies right into the sauce cause ds won't touch eggplant of zuke if he sees it eyesroll.gif

Christmas Eve is our tradition of making pizza love.gif

#41 of 103 Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 PM

I am trying to not spend too much so I start every week with a pot of brown rice, a pot of beans, & a pot of soup. That way I can come up with a quick lunch or addition to a meal. This week for dinner-

Smokey Butternut Squash soup & rice

same soup & veggie sandwiches

Bean tacos (w/homemade corn tortillas) 

Salad w/garbanzo beans & avocado

homemade mac n' cheese (w/rice pasta)& salad (kids request for xmas)

beans, rice, cheese & sauteed veggies

Tofu, chard & rice w/peanut sauce

I'm trying to get back to menu planning, it's been hard since having baby #3!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#42 of 103 Old 12-26-2012, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

notes.gif I'm going back to being a veg. I'm starting right now. I hope I can hang with you ladies. It has been a while...need to go shopping to really get started.

#43 of 103 Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Christmas day we had brunch at my mils and for dinner the kids had cereal and dh and I had thai after they went to bed. So nice and relaxing

Boxing day we went to my Aunt's and had a feast. She's awesome and makes all sides veg friendly. I don't even know where we'd have room for meat on our plates

This week is a whole lot of no cooking happening. Ds has a bug and he's not eating. Dh isn't usually around for dinnertime and Dd's are fine w cereal so it's a grab what we have few days.

I am planning a big New Year's Day dinner w the inlaws. Black eyed peas,sauteed collard greens,lemon kale,coleslaw,honey baked lentils,clementines and a money cake for dessert. May make a noodle salad for the kids

#44 of 103 Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM

It's cold today, so I made my favourite lentil soup with bruschetta. So good and hit all my pregnancy cravings at once!
#45 of 103 Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM

We had quorn patties (found a super deal on these) for the kids and portabella steaks for DH and I  with roasted potatoes, and shredded brussel sprouts sauteed with apples and onions

Next 2 days we will be at family functions for dinner so it will likely be beans and rice

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#46 of 103 Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Brie fondue with dippers for friends baby shower at my house.
Lentil chard soup with letter pretzels.
Drunken noodles
Black bean and sweet potato enchiladas.
Veggie mousaka and salad

#47 of 103 Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM

We've had a lot of quick meals lately. Last night we had baked tofu w balsamic glaze,brown rice,roasted cauliflower,pom salad and sauteed kale

#48 of 103 Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Mondays are busy days so we have quick meals. Tonight we are having fried rice and sesame oil noodles (hoping I can manage to fry up some cabbage, carrot and onion to add in) with frozen spring rolls and edamame nuggets for DH and I.

#49 of 103 Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Last night was WW spaghetti with a roasted red pepper cream sauce.  I served it with baked zucchini with parmesan.  Not exactly low fat, but tasty!

I also roasted a ton of root veggies (carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, and sweet potato).  Will serve that tonight alongside the leftover pasta and make the rest into soup blended with veggie broth.  I feel so healthy when I eat that big bowl of orange-y goodness!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#50 of 103 Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 AM

This week we've had

Mexican perogi casserole in the slow cooker & salad

Cauliflower/chickpea/potato curry with brown rice & chopped raw veggies

Refried bean quesadillas w salad

Tonight is a pureed red lentil/sweet potato and coconut soup in the slow cooker. I'm leaving some chunky and going to form them into patties for dinner Friday

#51 of 103 Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Last night was roasted beets and WW couscous with chickpeas.  Served with a dollop of greek yogurt sauce (lime juice, S&P).  It was yummy, healthy, and easy.  yummy.gif

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#52 of 103 Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 AM

We haven't been eating much lately. The kids have been sick so eating isn't happening.

We have had tacos,quesadiallas and a lot of grab and go stuff

Tonight I'm making a chickpea noodle soup w miso in it. A big boost of good stuff before Ds goes back to school tomorrow.

I'm REALLY hoping to start getting back into routine over the next few days. Dd's still sick and it's her b-day party Sat am with her little friends(we're doing pjs and pancakes) then Sun were going out with Aunts and Uncles for a buffet lunch...so she best get over the sick :(

#53 of 103 Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM

Tuesday it was vegetable curry stir fry over brown rice.

Yesterday: sweet potato & caramelized onion stuffed shells, green beans, and garlic bread

Tonight: homemade waffles, scrambled eggs, and fruit

Tomorrow: veggie reubens

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#54 of 103 Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Last night I adapted a recipe from Fit Pregnancy.  Quinoa with tempeh, corn, red onion, avocado, and arugula.  Dressed with olive oil, dijon, lime juice.  It was good, but the flavors got a little 'meh' as we were eating it. 

#55 of 103 Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Last few meals I can remember are:

Hot and Soup tofu soup with spring rolls

Chili and cornbread

Refried beans and potato burritos with all the fixings

Big salads with tempeh bacon and herb pizza bread

Planned for next few days are:

Kale and sausage pasta (or maybe a skillet with potatoes instead of pasta, not sure)

Seitan, roasted sweet potatoes, and green beans with balsamic

Tofu, broc and mushroom stir fry with either fried rice or sesame oil noodles

Honey baked lentils with sweet potato, served over quinoa

I friend recently gave us a big bag of dried black beans. I love black beans but have never really cooked with them. Any tried and true recipes?

#56 of 103 Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM

I haven't been feeling like cooking but I've been eating a lot of chickpeas and spinach all warmed up in a pan with garlic and oil and tomatoes.
#57 of 103 Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

I've fallen off the planning wagon again shy.gif.... I mostly try to use up what we have left in the freezer as well as in the pantry (lots of dried or frozen beans, grains like rice, quinoa..) since we're about to move back to the US in 6 weeks.

Due to the weather it's been a lot of bean & lentil dishes, mainly soups and stews combined with fresh bread, nothing overly exciting but still very tasty! winky.gif

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#58 of 103 Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

I friend recently gave us a big bag of dried black beans. I love black beans but have never really cooked with them. Any tried and true recipes?

I love black beans.

I make a black bean soup recipe w masa dumplings. Like this...http://operabuffo.blogspot.ca/2009/01/blue-corn-masa-dumplings-not-vegan.html

She uses pintos and it's kinda bland. I use black beans and spice it up. I also add corn to the bottom of each bowl so when you pour the soup over it thaws the frozen corn. I top it with diced avocado,chili flakes,olives...whatever I have around. Also throw in bottom of the jars of pasta sauce/salsa ect. Never comes out the same but ALWAYS comes out awesome

I also make my refried beans out of black beans. Black bean/sweet potatoes/salsa over rice. Black bean and sweet potato burritoes.

Yest I FINALLY bought a food processor. I snagged one at 40% off and OMG what I was missing!!!

Last night I made falafel(a little bland),pickle salad,sauteed sweet potatoes and roasted cauliflower and a vegan tzaziki. All using the food processor. Amazing

Tonight is black bean/sweet potato quesadillas. Using up sweet potatoes from last night,some frozen refried beans ect. Were having it with leftover pickle salad and some veggie soup I made a friend

Tomorrow my husband and I have to go to a viewing for a friends daughter who passed away. I'm planning on making veggie burgers from left over veggie/red lentil curried soup but honestly I doubt my tummy will be up to eating before a 7 year olds viewing gloomy.gif

#59 of 103 Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 PM

I haven't been much for cooking because I'm lazy and pregnant, but the other night i made:

apple and sage seitan sausages, quinoa, mushrooms and brocolli with a miso/nutritional yeast/white wine cream sauce

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#60 of 103 Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Yesterday: broccoli bean soup, veggie sandwiches, and cut up raw veggies. The soup is a vegan version of broccoli cheddar soup.

Tonight: zucchini, black bean & rice casserole

Tomorrow: homemade waffles, scrambled eggs, & fruit

Wed: Minestrone soup, sandwiches, & something else?

Thurs: barley mushroom stew in the crock pot

We are moving this weekend so I'm trying to keep it easy this week. 

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page