What's for dinner? Fall to winter thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 103 Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Last night was lentil coconut curry with cauliflower.  I got the recipe from one of these threads.  It was delicious, but made a lot!  Served with WW naan and a dollop of Greek yogurt.  It was just DS and me last night so I took some for lunch today.  Hopefully DH can help us finish off more of it tomorrow night.

Tonight is a school fundraiser at a local pizza place.  Most likely I will have a slice of pizza with roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts.  yummy.gif

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 103 Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last night I made the veggie burgers out of leftover red lentil curried soup w french fries and salad. The burgers did bind and fried well/stayed together but it was odd since they tasted so much like soup. Ds and youngest dd ate them and Ds said he'd prob eat them again but if I made them differently lol. Oldest dd wouldn't touch them...sigh

Tonight I made a hoison/ginger tofu w sesame raman noodles served in lettuce cups w carrot slaw/cukes/peppers. Topped with cilantro/green onion and lime. THEY WERE AMAZING. Youngest dd FINALLY ate tofu for me and Ds ate 3 of them. DD again wouldn't touch them...errr

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#63 of 103 Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM

Last night was perogies and raw veggie. I was in full sick pregnancy mode and I scratched my cornea and it got infected so my eye was near swollen shut. The idea of cooking wasn't happening.

Tonight was a cous-cous w cranberries,almonds,peas and cilantro,tossed pear salad,roasted cauliflower and red lentil patties.

#64 of 103 Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 AM

Last night it was cream of broccoli soup and a side of fried onions(pregnancy craving)
#65 of 103 Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 AM

Last night was refried beantacos w homemade guac.

Tonight is slow cooker chickpea potato curry w leftover cauliflower thrown in. I'm throwing dd's pj &pancakes party this morning so I preped dinner last night. LOVE the slow cooker

#66 of 103 Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 AM

Caiesmommy - oh no, hope you feel better and you eye heals quickly!

Yesterday we found a great little hole in the wall mediterranean grocery and deli.  I told the owner that we were vegan and he made us 3 big falafel sandwiches and a large container of bean soup (I think red or yellow lentils?) for $9.  We feasted until we were stuffed. :) 

Today I am making a tofu pot pie and Vegan With A Vengeance's Raspberry Chocolate Chip Blondies. 

flowersforyou.gif

#67 of 103 Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 AM

Last night was spinach and pea risotto, baked in the oven so super low maintenance.  Perfect Sunday night comfort food!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#68 of 103 Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM

We've been trying to push my middle sons food limits lately so we are going to keep to his favs for a couple days.

Last night we had Vegan Dad seitan sausages, herbed orzo, and zuchini and onion tots. The tots were a new recipe and didn't turn out like I had hoped but they were atleast edible.Tonight will be bean tacos and tomorrow spaghetti and sausage. **** need to plan next week after I go shopping Friday.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#69 of 103 Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM

It's taco night here at the Buttercup household.  I made "traditional" tacos with crumbles for the teenagers, and the Zucchini, Black Bean, and Olive tacos from Appetite for Reduction for adults.  The kids have enough leftovers for tomorrow, and I'm going to add our leftovers to a tofu-scramble and call it brinner.

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#70 of 103 Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 AM

I have no clue what I've been making this week lol

Tues was vegan scalloped potatoes in the slow-cooker(HUGE NASTY MISTAKE) so we have a ton leftover that I froze to attempt to make potato soup out of. We had it with roasted honey carrots,steamed broccoli,baked peach hoison tofu and a kale/carrot slaw.

Last night pregnancy sickness hit me again and it was tin veggie soup and vegan grilled cheese for the kids. Dh came home to a big bowl of organic o's for dinner greensad.gif

#71 of 103 Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM

Last night I had black bean taco's. Tonight I had pasta and breaded eggplant with marinara and a garden salad. Yum!

#72 of 103 Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM

We're having the Pasta de Los Angeles from Appetite for Reduction, plus mango sorbet.  However, it's game night (we play D&D - we're nerds like that) so I had to find a snack the tadpole will tolerate - I am having the weirdest 1st trimester food aversions.  It's like I can't eat anything processed - the longer the ingredients list, the less likely it is to stay down.  Spicy isn't a problem - as long as I make it from scratch, using whole ingredients - but the more "chemical" type ingredients something has, the more it tastes like metal when I try to eat it.

#73 of 103 Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 PM

Yay crunchy vegetarian gamer moms! Me too! I'm actually one of the guests at GameStorm in Vancouver, WA next month, running a Firefly LARP.

My go to game night snack is blanched, chilled broccoli and peanut sauce, or veggie gyoza. But we've been playing a lot of Serenity for the last few years, and that calls for Asian food.
#74 of 103 Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 AM

Thursday was the tofu/noodles in a lettuce cup again,requested by ds and dd FINALLY caved and ate it and LOVED it joy.gif

Last night was rice and pigeon peas(pregnancy craving),cinnamon squash,jerk coconut veggie sautee and a mango salad. DD inhaled it. DS not so much...sigh

Tonight is a lentil loaf using leftover mashed squash. Mashed potatoes,mushroom gravy,sauteed shredded brussell sprouts and salad. Maybe broccoli too

#75 of 103 Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM

Whoa - a Firefly LARP!  That totally outranks my game night, lol.

Last night we went out to Torchy's with friends to celebrate their engagement.  Fried Avocado Tacos!  Get in my belly!  :eat  But tonight will be a more humble Chickpea, Rice, and Kale soup from the ppk - easier on my budget and my tummy.

H. 

#76 of 103 Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 AM

Tonight I'm attempting this recipe with some tweaks. I've got tons of black eyed peas so I'm excited to use them a new way

http://www.theppk.com/2010/09/caribbean-curry-black-eyed-peas-with-plantains/

#77 of 103 Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 AM

It's Sunday so I am going to cook a few things so we have quick and easy lunches and dinners this week.  I am making an asian slaw with edamame, seitan ribs, spoonbread,  vegan ricotta and mozzarella calzones, curried roasted sweet potatoes and cauliflower, vegetable kugel and brownies.  :)   I think we will eat the 'ribs' with greens and the spoonbread for dinner tonight.  It sounds like a lot but it is all pretty easy stuff and having it onhand will help keep us from ordering out. 

flowersforyou.gif

#78 of 103 Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM

As I said in my last post, I'm lazy and pregnant and not cooking too much... but last night I made local fresh spinach pasta with lemon tofu, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini in a fake butter/miso sauce. Love reading all the ideas on here, btw! Thanks mamas :).

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#79 of 103 Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Last night was CP black bean and sweet potato chili with cornbread.  Seemed like good Super Bowl food.

Tonight is taco salad with pinto beans, salsa, and avocado with the leftover cornbread. 

#80 of 103 Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandgarbage View Post

As I said in my last post, I'm lazy and pregnant and not cooking too much... but last night I made local fresh spinach pasta with lemon tofu, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini in a fake butter/miso sauce. Love reading all the ideas on here, btw! Thanks mamas :).

That sounds AWESOME. I've been hating pasta and the kids have been begging. Could I have a break down on the lemon tofu and the miso sauce?

Tonight is sloppy lentils,chilli potato wedges and an asian slaw

#81 of 103 Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM

Tonight I'm making a batch of lentil soup out of the leftover sloppy lentils,leftover cooked eggplant. Leftover tomato paste,tomato sauce,canned tomatoes. I'm adding chopped potatoes,more carrots,onions,peppers and a bunch of other stuff. I'm making hummus bread to go with it using up some hummus I had frozen. I love lentil stews so much joy.gif

#82 of 103 Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM

The lemon tofu was really simple-- just stirfried in safflower oil until browned, and then doused with fresh lemon juice and bragg's and fried for a couple more minutes. I also make a baked version that requires marinating. That way you can REALLY get lemony!

I make a bunch of different versions of miso sauce. For this one I boiled a small amount of water, added a heaping tablespoon of white miso paste, about two tablespoons of nutritional yeast, and then some globs of delicious whipped earth balance. It's also great when you add any of these-- bragg's (tho be careful about saltiness with the miso), sriracha or other hot sauce, black pepper, lemon, dill, and even some mashed up avocado. Vegan and yummy!

Turquesa likes this.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#83 of 103 Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Last couple of nights was homemade tomato soup.  Super easy version: sauteed onion, 4 cups of veggie stock, large can of whole tomatoes, dried oregano, S&P.  I also had some leftover roasted red pepper / bean dip and a cup of so of steamed broccoli so threw those in there as well and blended with the immersion blender.  I ate mine with a leftover cauliflower hand pie from the freezer stash.  DS had a simple cheese quesadille with his.

http://plantfoodfabulous.com/2012/08/cauliflower-gruyere-hand-pies.html

#84 of 103 Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM

We've had

a soup "buffet" for Chinese New Year. I made a wicked Asian broth and everyone topped their broth with different things. We had shredded carrot,broccoli,green onions,tofu,peanuts,noodles,peppers,greens,peas,edamame...and other stuff. We also had dumplings,egg rolls and spring rolls.

The next day I took all the leftover veg and tossed it with rice noodles and a peanut sauce. Amazing salad. Took 5 minutes to make

Chickpea veggie soup in the slow cooker

Pasta w tomato sauce and salad w heart shaped veggies for v-day for the kids. A garlic and chili pasta for dh and I.

Last night we had hummus wraps and sweet potato fries

Tonight is slow cooker orange tofu(originally a chicken recipe I'm subbing tofu in for...we shall see),veggie-filled "fried" rice in another slowcooker. Based on the slow cooker 365 recipe. Sauteed bean sprout stir fry and mini egg rolls

#85 of 103 Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM

I've been really bad about meal planning lately but I am now very proud that I have the next several days planned and without needing to go to the store to pick up any last minute ingredients. Rarely happens!

Vegan alfredo noodles with broccoli

Kale, potato, and sausage skillet

Pad se-ew

Lazy brinner (eggs, sausage, hashbrowns, and toast)

Chickpea patties, and roasted cauliflower and carrots

Lazy Chinese dinner (frozen egg rolls, sesame oil noodles, fried rice, and egg drop soup)

Refried bean and ground beefless tacos

Lemon ginger tofu, shredded brussel sprouts and rice (or maybe couscous)

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#86 of 103 Old 02-19-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

Tonight is slow cooker orange tofu(originally a chicken recipe I'm subbing tofu in for...we shall see),veggie-filled "fried" rice in another slowcooker. Based on the slow cooker 365 recipe. Sauteed bean sprout stir fry and mini egg rolls

I have seen the 365 tofu recipes and wondered if they actually work out or if the tofu gets rubbery. Please let us know how it turns out!

#87 of 103 Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 AM

I've made a couple slow cooker 365 tofu recipes. They're ok. Nothing amazing.

The "fried rice" from 365 was horrid. I'll never do it again

We had burritos Sunday night at my gmas. Filled them with refried beans/black beans/grated sweet potato/carrot/corn/other veggies. They were awesome

Monday we had the quick tofu raman noodle salad in lettuce cups.

Tues we had tortilla soup using up the leftover chips and beans from Monday

Tonight is a Pho. This pregnancy is kicking my ass and I'm getting every single cold going around

#88 of 103 Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM

Last night was curried butternut squash soup and swiss chard / chickpea patties.  DS devoured the patties.  I had counted on some leftovers, but there were none!

#89 of 103 Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate&Joey View Post

Last night was curried butternut squash soup and swiss chard / chickpea patties.  DS devoured the patties.  I had counted on some leftovers, but there were none!

I can't find a decent chickpea patty that the kids will eat.

MAMA'S SHARE PLEASE!!!!

#90 of 103 Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

I can't find a decent chickpea patty that the kids will eat.

MAMA'S SHARE PLEASE!!!!

My recipe was from Real Simple.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/swiss-chard-chickpea-fritters-yogurt-00100000095075/index.html

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page