Any other too-skinny vegans?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-20-2004, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been vegetarian for ten years, and vegan for nearly six of those years. I eat pretty healthy, and always eat three good-sized meals, plus snack 3 to 4 times a day. And I do not do any kind of intensive exercise that is burning lots of calories. I also do not watch fat, and think I get a decent amount...I am generous with oils when I am cooking, usually have a few things that have a healthy version of "butter" on them, etc., eat treats, etc. It seems that I just keeping getting skinnier and skinnier, and it is starting to concern me. I am a very small person to begin with...5'2, around 100 lbs, small-frame.
I have one of those bodies in which ALL of my fat is concentrated in my belly, thighs, bottom, and there is absolutely no fat at the top of my body. Which is normally fine, but it makes it very hard to correct this for when I try to gain weight, it goes all to the middle part, and I am still super, super skinny on top.
It just seems that I am way too skinny up there (almost grossly skinny)...you can see my ribs and my collar-bone is *very* prominent. I feel like I am looking anorexic on top, and don't like it, and wondering if it is connected to the being vegan (I was skinny before being vegan, but not this skinny). Do any other vegans have this problem? Any suggestions? I am vegan primarily for ethical reasons so I am not really willing to eat animal foods.
christy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-20-2004, 12:25 PM

What fat sources are you eating? Do you eat nuts, oils, and avocados?
#3 of 5 Old 04-20-2004, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That sounds like me when I was vegan. I was so skinny and when I ate a meal, my stomach would puff way out I don't the what the answer is - my husband keeps saying "gain more weight" but even now that I am not vegan and am about 10 pounds heaver, I still am pretty thin all over except for a stomach that puffs. I think it is just my body shape or something.

Maybe working out with your upper body would help.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#4 of 5 Old 04-20-2004, 01:39 PM

I think gaining weight around your middle is a sign of too many carbs. WHich is hard to avoid if you are vegan. I would try and eat more fats and protein, like beans and nuts and eat less breads and things. That might help
#5 of 5 Old 04-20-2004, 02:38 PM

I am your height and not even 95 lbs. I am not a vegan. I eat organic meat once a week and I eat fresh fish as well as icecream. It is just how I am. I don't think I look anorexic, but my ribs do show and my collarbone is like how you discribed yours. But I have a big (for my size butt and hips) It may not be from veganism, some people are just shaped like this.

Are you breastfeeding? I have noticed that I don't get enough calories for dd and myself. Some people don't lose weight while breastfeding, but mine has literally melted away in the last year.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page