Enough variety for a teenager? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is this enough variety for a teen girl? Here are all—and the only—things she’ll eat:

Quesadillas with cheese and sometimes Quorn or tofu
Broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, or kale
Potatoes
Cheese pizza
A bowl of cereal with almond milk

Salsa or guacamole & chips
Sandwiches with hummus, cheese, or baked tofu (sometimes will eat chickpea salad)
Crackers or bread with cheese, hummus, or another dip
Eggs and toast
Fruit alone or dipped in peanut butter
Banana and almond milk smoothies

Thank you!

#2 of 3 Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM

It doesn't look horrible, no - I'd say it's probably pretty reasonable (I take into consideration that omni teens don't have a load of food variety either).  A multivitamin would probably be great, regardless.

I'd say work at making sure the extra-good veggies and salsa/guac is getting eaten in a pretty significant way at least 3-4 times a week, and that fruit is daily.  

Does/will she do things like put steamed asparagus on the hummus/cheese sandwich?  Getting her used to doing things like that as much as possible is, imo, ideal for a teen vegetarian (and other veg people too, anyway, for the sake of getting a wider variety of foods that actually have vitamins and not ending up with cheese pizza by default all the time).

Will she eat black beans/black bean dip?  Cause that would probably be a good addition (beans of any kind, really - I only notice hummus and the chickpea salad).  Even canned prepared chili beans that are vegetarian (an early vegetarian favorite of mine, actually - I'd heat them with either cheese or sour cream on top for an easy meal and have tortilla chips on the side as a teen).

#3 of 3 Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I think she could definitely be talked into adding some veggies into her sandwiches. She only does roasted, and I think it's a texture thing for her. She doesn't care for steamed vegetables or soups, for example. She could do chips and salsa daily, so I might look into various fresh salsa recipes.

Black beans...haven't tried that, but I'll bet there is a black bean salsa recipe ;)

Thank you again!

Tags
Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page