Soy-free beans - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have food allergies/intolerances. I used to be vegan, then became allergic to soy and went back to eating meat. I miss some bean dishes, but haven't been able to find a source for beans that doesn't also handle soybeans. Do any of you have suggestions?
#2 of 3 Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe it depends on where you live, but I know that lots of the pinto beans we buy around here are not processed with soy.  There are farms in Colorado which grow pintos and not soy, and also in Farmington, New Mexico the Navajo tribe grows pinto beans - I don't think they grow soy there....

If I were you, I'd ask at the bulk department of a natural foods store about the sources for various kinds of beans.  If that doesn't pan out, look into buying Southwestern beans.  We're definitely not soybean country around here, and I know lots of New Mexican farms that grow pintos anyway, if not other types of beans too.  It works well for us to buy 50-100 pounds of beans at once, and store them in airtight tubs.  That way, we have all the beans we need for about a year or so.

#3 of 3 Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

wow pek i cant believe how hard this is to find. 

this is not hte answer but i thought i'd post this link that i found http://www.nonuttin.com/shop/pages.php?pageid=67

the only thing i can think of - depending on where you live - is to go to local farmers. i know our local farm does not process or grow or feed any soy products. but they dont grow that much beans either.

could u directly talk to the farmer?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page