help for 19 month old little one with diarrhea... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my 19mth old foster son is dairy intolerant, I have a plant based diet and feed him all vegan foods at home, but his bio family feeds him egg/meat and occasionally by accident, dairy, at visits.

He is just getting over an upset tummy and his diarrhea is constant, and he has a terrible diaper rash.  Does anyone have some advice on what I should give him to encourage better gut flora?  I understand that we will not achieve complete success because I can't keep the other foods out of his diet, but maybe could make it a bit easier on him. 

Thanks everyone!!

Leanne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM

I did some extensive reading on tummy issues recently myself.  Have you tried buttermilk or Kefir?  They are of course dairy, however in these two most the fats that cause intolerance from what I understand are already broken down, so they don't have the same negative effect as regular milk.  People say yogurt as it has the beneficial bacteria as well, but I believe buttermilk works better.  Edited, forgot to mention you don't have to give a lot only a few TBSPs  to 1/4 cup and see if it helps..  As for diaper rash try A&D ointment, apply heavy, works very well.

#3 of 4 Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Do you give him probiotics?  Bio Gia is great because you just need to give a few drops per day.  Maybe he has another undiagnosed intolerance that is causing the issue?

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#4 of 4 Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

We do probiotics for DD, 13mos who is currently dairy intolerant and while you can fix the issue without eliminating dairy altogether, it will take much longer to do so since his tummy will become irritated and inflamed each time he eats dairy and makes probiotics less effective.  Our ND has DD on a Biotin supp also for gut healing, and homeopathic drops, mycotox.  She suggested a good bone broth as well incorporated in her diet althoug I've yet to get around to that one!

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page