Healthy non-dairy powdered coffee creamer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there such a thing?

I'm looking for a convenient but healthy powdered coffee creamer.

My husband and I recently have been eating vegan, but I'm struggling to give up the half and half creamer that I get in my Starbucks coffee every day.

I tried soy and almond milk but I just can't get used to the taste...I'm very attached to the creaminess of the half and half.  :(

I guess I'm also looking for advice and support on giving up the coffee altogether.  Anyone have some advice or personal experience on breaking coffee addiction? I've been on coffee - and lots of it - for twenty years now (and I'm only 32 - started young!)  I go to starbucks every day without fail and get a large vanilla coffee...and I feel as though I'm emotionally addicted to not just the coffee, but the ritual.

It probably wouldn't be a big deal except that my anxiety has been at an all time high and I don't think the coffee is serving me well...and then there's the main topic of my thread...I can't find a milk that I like in it.

Any advice for weak little me?

lol

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM

I typed out a reply and ot an error message so here's the condensed version.

I drink coffee and use the so delicious coconut creamer. It's not a powder but it's dairy free and creamy. I'm sure it's not as healthy as I would like but it's one of my indulgences. I make my coffee and love the ritual as well. I actually much prefer the coconut creamer. They make flavored ones but I prefer the plain because it's less sweet.

When I wanted to go decaf when I was pregnant I mixed regular and decaf at first and gradually added more decaf over about a week. It helped me avoid the caffeine withdrawal headache and I kept with the decaf while I was pregnant and first nursing.

I'm sure others will have more info. on coffee alternatives. I'm definately not the one to offer any info on that. I love my daily coffee.

Good luck on finding something you enjoy.
#3 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallagher66 View Post

I typed out a reply and ot an error message so here's the condensed version.

I drink coffee and use the so delicious coconut creamer. It's not a powder but it's dairy free and creamy. I'm sure it's not as healthy as I would like but it's one of my indulgences. I make my coffee and love the ritual as well. I actually much prefer the coconut creamer. They make flavored ones but I prefer the plain because it's less sweet.

When I wanted to go decaf when I was pregnant I mixed regular and decaf at first and gradually added more decaf over about a week. It helped me avoid the caffeine withdrawal headache and I kept with the decaf while I was pregnant and first nursing.

I'm sure others will have more info. on coffee alternatives. I'm definately not the one to offer any info on that. I love my daily coffee.

Good luck on finding something you enjoy.

Thanks, and sorry you lost your reply...I hate when that happens!

I've decided I'm going to start a new routine, at least for a week.  I can start my morning with a big cup of hot herbal tea, and skip Starbucks.  Then if I'm really dying for it later in the morning, I can go swing by at 10 am and try half-caff and coconut milk.

Thanks again! :)

#4 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

I second the coconut milk.  I was a hardcore milkaholic but didn't feel well on it so I kicked cow milk about 10yrs ago and after the soy and almond didn't do it for me, the discovery of coconut milk was pure heaven!  I use the SO creamer sometimes but usually just the regular SO coconut milk is creamy enough for me in coffee.  Thats my go-to milk replacer for just about all of my cooking/baking bc it's thicker like cow milk.

#5 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Is it just me who thinks coconut milk tastes like drinking sunscreen? Lol. I love the smell of it, but the taste just doesn't appeal to me.
Thanks for the suggestions!!

#6 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

Is it just me who thinks coconut milk tastes like drinking sunscreen? Lol. I love the smell of it, but the taste just doesn't appeal to me.
Thanks for the suggestions!!

LOL!  I never thought of that, but I can see why you feel that way!

I just wanted to chime in that I have anxiety and that's why I can't drink coffee at all.  If you are anything like me, less coffee will likely help very much.  Good luck  :)

flowersforyou.gif

#7 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Haha, I started off on the vanilla one and recently switched to the original ;-)

Tags
Vegan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page