Originally Posted by bohemianmama21 View Post

Cheese and yogurt.

So you added cheese and yogurt?

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those were two of the reasons im ex-vegan. Too hard to find substitutes without soy that taste decent.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 PM

For me, it was because of cheese also. No good tasting subs out there for it.And because I was raw vegan, it utilized a lot of nuts and treenuts and since finding out that DS was allergic to both, I had to quit eating those. There wasn't much options left so I just went back to being grain-free and low carb.

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM

EX Vegan must, in my way of thinking, be more of a dietary thing than ethical. 

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM

I'm ex-vegan.  I loved being vegan, I found it to be a very spiritual experience.  But my health headed south, I had a lot of brain fog, it was difficult for me to speak or form sentences.  My joints started to hurt.  My breastmilk never seemed to have enough fat in it, my kids breastfed poops were always bright green.

I did everything a vegan is supposed to do.  I took all the supplements, added fats back into my diet (I was a McDougall follower), ate a wide variety of foods.  Nothing helped.  I added foods back slowly, starting with free-range eggs.  Once I added bone broth my jointed stopped hurting.  My thinking cleared up when I added red meat back in.

The first six month of being ex-vegan I couldn't get enough animal fat.  It was crazy!  That settled down after a while.

I do miss the connection I had with animals.  We try very hard to buy humanely raised meats; we get eggs from our backyard chickens.  But like I said earlier, there was an amazing spirituality I had while being vegan.  It was a special place to be.  I wish I could be healthy being vegan, but it just didn't work for me.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM

I'm an ex-vegan. And ex-vegetarian. I became a vegetarian when I was 16, a vegan at 19 (after reading Diet for a New America), went back to lacto-ovo vegetarianism after a little over a year, then became a meat eater (chicken and fish) at 24, then vegetarian again at 28, then a full-fledged meat eater at 30. I'm now 37 and have eaten a traditional foods diet for about 3 years.

I gained a tremendous amount of weight as a vegetarian. I was a "bad" vegetarian in my teen years (processed carbs made up most of my diet), but in college switched to whole foods and got on the nutrition band wagon. But I kept gaining weight. I switched to veganism partially for ethical reasons, partially in a hope that I would lose weight. I did lose some weight, but gained acne. Severe, cystic acne. I struggled with acne and unexplained weight gain for over a decade. Before switching to a traditional food diet, I'd eliminated so many foods it was zero fun to eat anymore. I was living on pita wraps with avocado, tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts and udon noodles with miso and brussel sprouts. I remember those meals vividly because I ate them often. I was hungry all the time because I was trying to lose weight, my skin was horrible and I felt tired and sad. I was 65 pounds overweight at this point and desperate and willing to try anything. So I stopped being a vegetarian and went on the Atkins diet. Yep. Seriously. I lost about 25 pounds, but more importantly, it opened my eyes to all kinds of different ideas and opinions. Atkins led me to Gary Taubes which led me to Cate Shanahan which led me to WAPF. Since then I've lost more weight, my acne is gone and I feel healthy and strong for the first time in many, many years. 

So that's my evolution. I still care deeply about the ethical treatment of animals, so I buy pasture/free range meats from local farmers, but for me, my health was screaming for a different diet and now I view things more from a natural food chain perspective. 

Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 PM

I was vegan for 5 years. I became a lacto- ovo vegetarian, then a meat eater because I was having b12 deficiency, then once that was solved (it more had to do with my inability to absorb vits, not being a vegan) I found I had serious blood sugar issues if I didn't eat meat. I would crash every two hours and become non compis mentis. I wish I could be vegan. Or even vegetarian but as I get older I find I can't. Bottom line -- I feel like crap as a vegan.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM

I eat the eggs of our kids' pet chickens now.  My daughter really wanted to have chickens, so we got them.  I don't feel significantly different after adding eggs to my previously vegan diet. 

I don't think I would've decided to have chickens if it weren't for my children.  To me, the ethical side of the decision to eat eggs is in an extremely gray area.  Environmentally, the eggs are wasteful.  The chickens eat way more food than we could ever grow.  The roosters involved make the process difficult - either they are ground up or gassed as babies, or you keep them.  But the problem is that you can't keep a ratio of more than 1 rooster to 7 hens, otherwise the roosters mate the hens too much and all of their feathers are yanked out.  The ratio of hens to roosters born is 1:1.  We kept our roosters, but we decided to separate them from the hens, just wandering at large.

What has made a difference in my diet is largely eliminating sweetners and flours.  I have so much more energy after doing this.  I think a lot of vegans consume way to many processed carbs, feel crappy and then the veganness gets the blame.       

Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

The first six month of being ex-vegan I couldn't get enough animal fat.  It was crazy!  That settled down after a while.

This is me also! I switched from vegan to Lacto-veg. because, honestly, it was just too damn expensive especially since my husband is/was not a fan of vegan foods. It also wasn't helping him that much health wise. So I switched back to eating dairy and absolutely loved it. Seriously, I never thought I ate so much cheese in my life as the first few months going back from vegan. Thankfully at the time I was able to go to WFM a lot and get well-made cheese. Now that I live far away from a health food store, I find myself slowly going back to vegan. 

At the moment I'm working towards becoming Ovo-veg because the baby in my belly LOVES boiled eggs. I get them from a local free range guy. Dairy is making my stomach hurt so I cut it out because of that... though I (ethically) have felt much better the less that I consume. 

Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

For me it was two-fold:

1. Ethical: I have absolutely no faith in the belief that veganism is somehow a natural state of being for humans, and I have ethical concerns other than animal abuse that I don't take to such extremes, like my wariness of market capitalism (which hasn't turned me into an ascetic yet.) I think it's good enough to try and get natural animal products from local farms with humane treatment. Death is a part of the cycle of life, so the argument that "meat is murder" never resonated with me. 

2. Health: I wanted to commit to a whole foods diet but had no desire to become a slave to my kitchen, or a flavor-martyr.Vegan cooking requires too many substitutions and processed foods to mimic even the simplest of normal cuisine pleasures, and there's very few recipes that are wholesome, quick and easy that don't quickly get boring, or require fancy expensive ingredients. 

The thing they share is that I just have ZERO desire to be such a slave to food-needs.

Once I started being able to eat healthful foods without tons of prep or exotic ingredients, I gained tons of energy, lost 20lbs and cut my food bill by 10-20%, even with adding natural, pricier meats back into the shopping cart, and I'm pretty sure I save hours a week being able to eat simpler foods that meet my nutritional needs easily, with no need to calculate how many flax seeds approximate a salmon portion's omega content. 

I still eat several vegan and vegetarian meals a week, and often go days without meat products. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbylotus View Post

EX Vegan must, in my way of thinking, be more of a dietary thing than ethical. 

True, not all ethical beliefs around food center around an animal-liberation "abolitionist" perspective. But that doesn't mean it's just dietary and irreverent of ethical concerns to become an ex-vegan. 

Plenty of veg-people see killing and eating animals as a normal part of the cycle of life on earth-- they just don't want to support those who heartlessly abuse animals.

Others still are simply queasy about the idea, and prefer not to be a part of it, but don't think it's inherently wrong-- like how I'd never fight in a war, but I don't think it's inherently wrong to sacrifice your life for a cause. 

I think it's a good idea to try and understand these perspectives just like it's important for people to understand your particular ethics. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM

See, as a vegan, I almost never eat pricey 'substitute' foods - organic soymilk and cultured yogurt are pretty much it. I don't eat fake cheese, or fake meats more than once every few months.

What I do eat is a lot of grains, nuts and legumes, fresh seasonal fruits and veggies. I don't feel like there is any flavor lacking in my diet. Today I ate homemade granola and fresh, local, organic strawberries for breakfast. For lunch, we're having spinach Mediterranean style spinach pizzas (no cheese, just olive oil and veggies), dinner tonight is fajita veggies, slow cooker black beans, corn tortillas and lime coleslaw. That's not a sacrifice, not hard to make, and it tastes amazing.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:48 PM

-

Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was vegan for 8 years... and then I got pregnant and did a lot of research on DHA and healthy fats and healthy happy eggs and alaskan salmon and the pros outweighed the cons..... and my body was craving them out of nowhere. 

so now I eat salmon 2-3 times a month, and eggs whenever I feel like it, which isn't too often- maybe 2-3 times a week. Much healthier and I feel better overall. I was always a whole foods vegan and towards the end transitioned to gluten free vegan, still gluten free! just eat eggs and salmon. 

edited to say:: being pregnant has made me want to just get rid of the whole label thing. For so long I was really attached to the idea of being a vegan, but now I don't care as long as I'm getting the nutrients my body is intuitively telling me that I need ~ soy free dairy free gluten free pescetarian would be the "label", but who wants to say that??? Everyone's body is different- i Never thought in a million years I would ever eat fish or eggs again, but I woke up one morning just needing salmon, and it didn't help that my recently pregnant friend was telling me all the benefits of eating salmon and how dha is so important for baby's brain and eye development. I still eat mostly vegan meals every day-- it's just occasionally i add in an egg or a piece of salmon- I really think that's all you need, i don't think it's necessary to eat that kind of stuff every day. I know for certain I will NEVER eat animal flesh ever again in my life- the thought of that is beyond disgusting and there are no health benefits- no way!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 AM

I was vegan...then got pregnant. As soon as that happens I crave eggs/cheese. As soon as baby is out I'm off the stuff. I'm already back off eggs and dairy has been killing me. tons of mucus and phlegm nastiness. So I'll prob be off my cravings before baby even comes

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 PM

I was vegan for 2 years before getting pg with dd. In the second trimester I added eggs and cheese. I haven't been vegan since (6.5 yrs later). I am now pg with baby #2 and still veggie. I know that one day when I am done having/ breastfeeding I will be vegan again. I felt very light and healthy when I was vegan, but feel that I crave these heavier foods while building babies lol.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ex-vegan and ex-vegetarian here. I ended veganism because I couldn't bear living without cheese! I planned on staying vegetarian forever, but after 7 years I started craving chicken (I had dreams about breaking into homes and stealing dinners right off of tables!).

I'm actually thinking about going vegetarian again, but I still eat meat a few times a week and enjoy it.... I don't know, might just do even more meatless meals. I used to have ethical concerns about eating meat and using animal products, but those have slowly gone away.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Already posted!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was vegan for 12 years. Dropped 15 pounds right away and kept them off till I worked at a veg. deli/bakery. The cookies did me in.

When I was pg I craved eggs intensely. I decided to add eggs, just until I had the baby. With the first free-range bite I thought, I don't think I'm not going to quit again, and I didn't.

Had some weird health problems after 1st baby. Didn't have access to health care, but an energy healer advised me to eat fish. In 12 years, lots of people had told me "you have to eat meat/dairy/ whatever animal product" but I never gave it a second thought. But at this time, I felt it was true for me.

I struggled with the decision, but I believe it's been right for me. One thing I've come to accept, and embrace, is that we do not all need the same diet. Some can be vegan, some can't digest milk, some have allergies to various proteins, etc. We don't all have the same digestive enzymes, why would we think we needed to eat one diet? So I accept that I need some animal products.

It might be possible for me to be vegan again, with a lot of supplementation, but at some point I think the diet becomes very unnatural, which conflicts with other values I hold. Ovo-pesce-veg makes more sense to me, and as much local food as I can acquire. I'd rather buy local eggs from someone I know than expensive algae from a lake 1500 miles away, processed in a factory somewhere else, and brought to me in a plastic bottle on a truck.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianmama21 View Post

Those were two of the reasons im ex-vegan. Too hard to find substitutes without soy that taste decent.

That's what I always thought. Daiya Cheese and So Delicious coconut yogurt and fieldRoast meat, Quorn chicken and Hillary's burgers and I'm set. I can now get all at neighborhood health food store or delivered they door to door Organics for very competitive prices. I'm in heaven!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

For me it was two-fold:

1. Ethical: I have absolutely no faith in the belief that veganism is somehow a natural state of being for humans, and I have ethical concerns other than animal abuse that I don't take to such extremes, like my wariness of market capitalism (which hasn't turned me into an ascetic yet.) I think it's good enough to try and get natural animal products from local farms with humane treatment. Death is a part of the cycle of life, so the argument that "meat is murder" never resonated with me. 

2. Health: I wanted to commit to a whole foods diet but had no desire to become a slave to my kitchen, or a flavor-martyr.Vegan cooking requires too many substitutions and processed foods to mimic even the simplest of normal cuisine pleasures, and there's very few recipes that are wholesome, quick and easy that don't quickly get boring, or require fancy expensive ingredients. 

The thing they share is that I just have ZERO desire to be such a slave to food-needs.

Once I started being able to eat healthful foods without tons of prep or exotic ingredients, I gained tons of energy, lost 20lbs and cut my food bill by 10-20%, even with adding natural, pricier meats back into the shopping cart, and I'm pretty sure I save hours a week being able to eat simpler foods that meet my nutritional needs easily, with no need to calculate how many flax seeds approximate a salmon portion's omega content. 

I still eat several vegan and vegetarian meals a week, and often go days without meat products. 

I agree, though I am pescetarian. It was too much work, and too much anxiety. Food just became a source of fear and anxiety. It was no long pleasurable to eat. I buy ethically where I can now, but I would never go vegan again.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Because I was "cheating" and eating cheese. I love cheese. I am, however, very picky about which cheese I like and I find a lot of cheese repulsive because to me it tastes like a farm smells. Besides that I rarely eat eggs although sometimes things with eggs in it. I find milk revolting to the point I can't eat yogurt, but occasionally I indulge in ice cream and eat things made with milk (like sauces).

For me being vegetarian is natural and I don't ever crave or miss meat. If it were en exercise in discipline and I found myself always craving meat, I probably wouldn't be vegetarian either. It was like that being vegan. I found myself craving cheese and actually eating it every now and then, so I finally realized it just wasn't natural for me to avoid it.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 PM

I'm ex-vegetarian, but for a different reason. I spent a couple of years in my late teens/early 20's trying to be vegan, but cheese was my biggest weakness. What turned me away from that diet entirely was social pressure. I was shy and insecure, and I hated being at work, school, or with friends always explaining my dietary choices to people. It made me feel "different".

When I married my now ex-husband, he was the straw that broke the camel's back. He is a big meat eater, and he frequently "commented" on how I ate, what I was missing out on, how important meat is to our diet and how concerned he was about me. Of course he was never "critical", he was just discussing dietary issues - at every meal. I finally broke down and started eating meat again just to shut him up. Now I see that as passive-aggressive, but at the time I let it influence me.

Now, some 15 years later, I'm a lot more secure in myself and my beliefs, and I feel I have better friends and support, people who don't judge me. So I'm actually working toward vegetarianism again. My son is allergic to milk, and I have finally resolved the dairy free/cheese substitute when I discovered Daiya, thanks to people here at mothering.com. smile.gif I have been gradually decreasing my meat intake to just a couple of times a week. I don't think I will ever go egg-free, but I am looking for a local farm where chickens are truly free-range and treated humanely.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM

I was vegan for 7 years. We changed for a variety of reasons. I started reading Michael Pollan and Animal Vegetable Miracle and sort of lost faith in a vegan diet being environmentally superior to meat eating. My oldest child struggled on a vegan diet. I know children eat a lot of carbs, but with my restrictions on eggs and dairy, she ate almost exclusively carbs (grains and fruit). I started adding eggs and dairy back into my diet during my pregnancy with my second child: I was tandem nursing, I showed nutritional deficiencies, etc... I don't know if I would have gone that route if I hadn't lost faith in veganism and my daughter did better on the diet, but it brought me to a breaking point.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

. . . and Animal Vegetable Miracle and sort of lost faith in a vegan diet being environmentally superior to meat eating.

I thought Kingsolver's treatment of vegetarianism was weak, however. She repeatedly said it's impossible to eat local and vegetarian, though she didn't appear to give it much serious thought, or make any effort. I don't have a problem with her eating meat, but I wish she could have just said vegetarianism isn't her thing and left it at that. Nothing has really been proven about eating local in modern life; it's all an experiment. Why discourage other people from experimenting too?

Of course, that doesn't speak to your personal experience, revolting, but a thought I had about the book that I think is somewhat relevant.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 PM

I don't have anything to contribute but I really enjoyed reading this thread!! I know I hear a lot about people going Veg or Vegan but never hear of the flip side, and it's been very interesting!!

DS: Logan 6/14/10 nocirc.gif

Old 02-27-2014, 11:20 AM

I was vegan for 3 years. Started after my daughter was born almost 8 years ago, vegan through 2 years of BFing. Then stayed vegan through my pregnancy with my son and about a year after. Yes, the kids were vegan as well during this time.

My issues were that my life really picked up pace and It became difficult for me to plan meals and cook from scratch while having two little ones, working almost full time and going to college full time.
I decided I would rather use local/organic/ethical choices for eggs, dairy and some meat rather than heavily processed factory foods as vegan substitutes.
Unfortunately over time my handle on our nutrition really slipped and we ate a healthier than usual but still unhealthy American diet for many years.
Now I am getting back into health food and healing my body. Being pregnant again for the first time in over five years reminded me of my need for fruits, veggies and whole foods. Some days I eat all vegan foods, some days I do not. I am following my body's cues for tastes and nutrients.
Holding up to a "vegan" standard is much to stressful for me. I am not trying to impress anyone smile.gif i just want myself and my family to feel good and be conscious of what we put in our bodies.
I now post a lot on instagram to keep myself accountable for healthy eating and as a reminder for foods I can go back to.

I am happy to not be vegan anymore. I still feel as "ethical" and "healthy" as I did before but just from being a conscious eater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM

In the months since I last posted in this thread, I have gone back to being vegetarian. I feel better in terms of my personal ethics since I am taking a greater role in reducing my impact on animal welfare issues. I also feel better about myself in that I am strong enough to stand for what I believe in rather than caving to what others expect from me.

I don't ever see myself going completely vegan though. Veganism and vegetarianism are often associated with each other, but in some ways its a whole different ballpark. Its much harder to eliminate all animal products. Eggs and milk are ingredients in so many different foods, and even if you make everything from scratch your diet becomes very limited. I don't begrudge anyone who makes a vegan diet work for them. In some ways I envy people who are happy with it. But its not for me.

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan
User Tag List