Vegan spread for toast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Hi guys,

So, since I watched Vegucated I have turned vegan. (I was vegetarian.) I didn't make any plans or how I was going to go about it. It just happened. And, all along I thought I was having organic dairy and before that free range, organic eggs. This movie really opened my eyes to what they call free range. I would have never guessed. Honestly. Now that I am vegan I need your help. Right now I am looking for a vegan spread other than peanut butter and jelly. I guess I'll be back if I run out of ideas again but right now it's just the breakfast.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are newly dairy free. We use Earth Balance 'buttery' spread. In a question I wrote earlier on Mothering, a woman suggested the whipped variety over the regular. We use both! Both are great!

http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/

#3 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 AM

Earth Balance is yummy. It is fairly processed and definately high in fat so I don't eat it too often. Some people may also be concerned with the palm oil aspect as well.

Some other possibilities are hummous, mashed up avocados, plain jam, nut butters, olive tapenade, or just a little olive oil.

Good bread is really helpful. I love homemade or really good bakery bread. The better the bread, the tastier simpler toppings are. If I have good bread and spread some really good jam on it, I don't need anything oily. It tastes indulgent just like that.
#4 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM

I just watched Vegucated and went vegan too.  (Long story, but that's the gist of it.)  Today is our one week vegan-versary.  :)  Anyhow, Biscoff spread is vegan, and really delicious.  Not at all healthy, not even in the least, but it's an awesome vegan treat when you are craving a quick, vegan breakfast.

http://www.biscoff.com/biscoff-spread/

I also love avocado and tomato with sweet chili sauce on toast.  Oddly enough, it helped with fried egg craving I had one morning.  (I guess because it's high in fat.  Since i always ate my fried eggs with sweet chili sauce, I put it on the avocado and it was great.)

Neera likes this.

flowersforyou.gif

#5 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Coconut butter = tastey!

#6 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM

I make a kind of breakfast guacamole. Smush up an avocado in a bowl with some lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. (Basically guac w/o the garlic.) It doesn't take long to make and tastes great on toast (and is great for you!)

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#7 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM

i like bananas and honey!

#8 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM
yam

Congrats on going vegan, Neera!

We love avocado and hummus. We eat more hummus than I would've thought possible. I make it by the half gallon (I kid you not) in our Vitamix blender and then we use it all week long for school lunches and snacks. Basically I double the hummus recipe that came with my Vitamix, but I omit the olive oil and boost the tahini. (As we try to focus on whole grains, we don't eat much bread. Instead we love Real Foods organic corn thins, which are like extra thin, extra crisp rice cakes. They're not like eating styrofoam, more like thick chips.) If someone ever tries to tell you how expensive it is to eat vegan, point them at this recipe! :P

Marinara sauce is also really nice as a topping.

My favorite vegan cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Robin Robertson have lots of recipes for delicious spreads, including convincing pâté made with walnuts (all vegan). Here's Isa's basil-mint pesto recipe. Robin's book 1,000 Vegan Recipes includes several hummus recipes, plus that pâté, baba ghanoush, several bean dips, and a roasted-veg spread.

There's always Tofutti, which is about as cream-cheesy as I've experienced. But it's basically margarine with a little soy (i.e., not a healthy fat).

#9 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM
yam

Hi again, Attila,

If you get an egg craving, I highly recommend Isa Chandra Moskowitz's recipe for Polenta Rancheros from her cookbook Vegan Brunch. It has a lot of parts, but, man, it satisfies when you're missing the ooey-gooey-ness of a soft-boiled or sunny-side-up egg. The polenta is all runny and hot, the avocado gives that fatty richness, and the salsa flavors make the substantial black beans pop. Ooh, my mouth is watering just thinking of it... (I think when I made it last I included her cashew cream [also in the cookbook] on top, to boot.)

Best wishes!

[I have no affiliation with Isa or Robin other than as a happy buyer of their cookbooks.]

Neera likes this.
#10 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM

I fry thin-sliced, drained tofu in a little olive oil with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast for eggs. Other hits around our house are maple almond butter and chocolate peanut butter.

Oh, and corn thins are the best thing ever.
#11 of 25 Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM

Thank you, yam!  I will be sure to try that very soon.

I just remembered, I've had this before and it's really delicious.  I like it on bagels:  http://showmevegan.blogspot.com/2008/10/kalamata-olive-tofu-spread.html

flowersforyou.gif

#12 of 25 Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought palm and coconut oils are both good for u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallagher66 View Post

Earth Balance is yummy. It is fairly processed and definately high in fat so I don't eat it too often. Some people may also be concerned with the palm oil aspect as well.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#13 of 25 Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post

I just watched Vegucated and went vegan too.  (Long story, but that's the gist of it.)  Today is our one week vegan-versary.  :)  Anyhow, Biscoff spread is vegan, and really delicious.  Not at all healthy, not even in the least, but it's an awesome vegan treat when you are craving a quick, vegan breakfast.

http://www.biscoff.com/biscoff-spread/

I also love avocado and tomato with sweet chili sauce on toast.  Oddly enough, it helped with fried egg craving I had one morning.  (I guess because it's high in fat.  Since i always ate my fried eggs with sweet chili sauce, I put it on the avocado and it was great.)

Congrats! And thanks for the link. I do like the idea of tomato with sweet chili sauce also. Biscoff sounds delicious but yeah, I avoid all processed vegetables oil. The only oil we use at home are cold pressed EVO and EVO coconut oil.

#14 of 25 Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Coconut butter = tastey!

Sorry, never heard of coconut butter? Is it coconut oil? I just finished reading The Coconut Oil Miracle so am v. interested.

#15 of 25 Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I like some of the other options mentioned including the marinara sauce. I need brand names for marinara sauce. Which ones are you guys using? I am not sure about tofu as I have heard negative things about soy.

#16 of 25 Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Thanks. I thought palm and coconut oils are both good for u.

Palm oil can be an ethical dilemma for some vegans since it's production is responsible for habitat destruction in rain forests leading to animal species being endangered as well as very high co2 emissions.

And although it's a better type of fat than butter, it's not healthy and should be eaten sparingly like many fats and oils.
#17 of 25 Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallagher66 View Post

Palm oil can be an ethical dilemma for some vegans since it's production is responsible for habitat destruction in rain forests leading to animal species being endangered as well as very high co2 emissions.

And although it's a better type of fat than butter, it's not healthy and should be eaten sparingly like many fats and oils.

OK. Thanks.

#18 of 25 Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

I fry thin-sliced, drained tofu in a little olive oil with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast for eggs. Other hits around our house are maple almond butter and chocolate peanut butter.

Oh, and corn thins are the best thing ever.

Need the brand name for vegan chocoloate peanut butter. Sounds yum. And will be looking for the corn thins.

#19 of 25 Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Sorry, never heard of coconut butter? Is it coconut oil? I just finished reading The Coconut Oil Miracle so am v. interested.

It's the whole inside of the coconut - the meat - before it gets sqashed down to extract the coconut oil.  It's a little darker in color, and a little firmer, but when warmed up spreads nicely.  I just had a baked sweet potato this morning and used that instead of the earth balance butter!  I don't think I've seen it in stores, I ordered it online http://www.vitacost.com/artisana-100-organic-raw-coconut-butter, I think the price has gone up a bit, but that's the brand.

#20 of 25 Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM
yam

Re marinara brands, I just make my own. It's so easy. The recipe I use is actually from Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She has it as "Mom's Marinara" in her Appetite for Reduction cookbook and a very similar one in Veganomicon.

It's basically 4 cloves of garlic smashed or chopped tiny, lightly browned in a little extra-virgin olive oil, covered with 24 to 28 oz. crushed or strained tomatoes, then with half a teaspoon each of oregano and thyme stirred in, with about a half teaspoon of salt and 1/8th teaspoon of black pepper. That's it! Isa's tip for making great tomato sauce is not to overdo the herbs, just let the tomatoes shine. I make a batch then save it in the frig for whenever during the week; it's usually gone in three days.

Hope that helps.

#21 of 25 Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

It's the whole inside of the coconut - the meat - before it gets sqashed down to extract the coconut oil.  It's a little darker in color, and a little firmer, but when warmed up spreads nicely.  I just had a baked sweet potato this morning and used that instead of the earth balance butter!  I don't think I've seen it in stores, I ordered it online http://www.vitacost.com/artisana-100-organic-raw-coconut-butter, I think the price has gone up a bit, but that's the brand.

Thanks. Will be trying it out. Btw it is slightly cheaper on Amazon under their Free Super Saving.

#22 of 25 Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post

Re marinara brands, I just make my own. It's so easy. The recipe I use is actually from Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She has it as "Mom's Marinara" in her Appetite for Reduction cookbook and a very similar one in Veganomicon.

It's basically 4 cloves of garlic smashed or chopped tiny, lightly browned in a little extra-virgin olive oil, covered with 24 to 28 oz. crushed or strained tomatoes, then with half a teaspoon each of oregano and thyme stirred in, with about a half teaspoon of salt and 1/8th teaspoon of black pepper. That's it! Isa's tip for making great tomato sauce is not to overdo the herbs, just let the tomatoes shine. I make a batch then save it in the frig for whenever during the week; it's usually gone in three days.

Hope that helps.

thanks a lot for the recipe. i make this for pasta but am lazy or just don't have enough time to make it, usually. i don't include thyme either. instead i use basil. i wasn't sure if marinara had a different recipe. it's time for me to make it at home as i am avoiding processed vegetable oils which are used a lot in the bottled version. and i don't really see any with EVO.

#23 of 25 Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Need the brand name for vegan chocoloate peanut butter. Sounds yum. And will be looking for the corn thins.

The one we like is by Peanut Butter and Company. Dark Chocolate Dreams. Justin's Chocolate Almond is good, but their PB is awful, IMO. I also sometimes just make my own chocolate almond by throwing chocolate chips and roasted almonds in the food processor.

#24 of 25 Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

it's time for me to make it at home as i am avoiding processed vegetable oils which are used a lot in the bottled version. and i don't really see any with EVO.

i am not exactly sure what you mean. getting oil from a fruit or seed is a highly processed method. oil is a highly processed material. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#25 of 25 Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

i am not exactly sure what you mean. getting oil from a fruit or seed is a highly processed method. oil is a highly processed material. 

I had read about the manufacturing process of oils like sunflower, corn where they are heated to v. high temperatures. The whole process was described and how it causes havoc in the cells of our bodies. The book recommended cold pressed, organic, EVOO or coconut oil. Are these two highly processed too?

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page