cashews soaked too long? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put some cashews in some water in the fridge to make cashew cheese, meaning to use it the next day. Things got busy and I forgot them in there for several days (5 or 6). Are they bad? I tasted them and they don't seem bitter. I do see a few dark spots on some. Might they be moldy? I'm not sure what they normally look/taste like. Would you use them or throw them out?

Thanks!

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 5 Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM

I've left soaking nuts in the fridge for a few days and they were fine, but I might worry about mold issues on the nuts you describe.  The beginnings of mold aren't always visible, and some can be pretty toxic....

#3 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I compared the dark spots to another fresh bag of raw cashews I had in the pantry, and they looked identical.  So no mold.

And I blended them up into the most scrumptious cashew cheese!  I'm even going home for lunch soon and having a grilled "cheese" with it!  Yummy.

Last night I made pasta with a tomato "cream" sauce using a 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and a cup of the cashew cheese poured over the cooked pasta.  It was delicious!

I'm so not missing cheese and I'm glad I found this healthy alternative.

#4 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM

Have you experimented with fermented vegan cheeses?  They can taste really "cheesy."  All you have to do is take your soaked nuts and blend them with a little salt and a little bit of unsweetened soy yogurt or other yogurt starter.  Then, let the cheese sit somewhere quite warm (like in the oven with only the light on) overnight.  It's very ricotta-esque. 

Miyoko Schinner has an interesting book out called "Artisan Vegan Cheeses."  Her recipes are a little more complicated, but I've tried a few of them, and they're yummy. 

#5 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovey View Post

Have you experimented with fermented vegan cheeses?  They can taste really "cheesy."  All you have to do is take your soaked nuts and blend them with a little salt and a little bit of unsweetened soy yogurt or other yogurt starter.  Then, let the cheese sit somewhere quite warm (like in the oven with only the light on) overnight.  It's very ricotta-esque. 

Miyoko Schinner has an interesting book out called "Artisan Vegan Cheeses."  Her recipes are a little more complicated, but I've tried a few of them, and they're yummy. 

Thanks! I''ll have to try that next!

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page