Dairy causing our food allergies? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Neera, I had the beginnings of asthma and began an elimination diet. When I gave up corn, my asthma symptoms disappeared. Fortunately, I can eat organic corn, but I must be vigilant about hidden sources of conventional corn.
#32 of 39 Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Neera, I had the beginnings of asthma and began an elimination diet. When I gave up corn, my asthma symptoms disappeared. Fortunately, I can eat organic corn, but I must be vigilant about hidden sources of conventional corn.

Hmm. She does love corn but she has it sometimes only at grandparent's. It is without doubt not organic and so definetly gmo as well. It's really hard to restrict her from these foods because she will literally go to bed hungry. The last time we did that she got severely constipated.

I haven't been able to figure out why you don't think it's dairy that is the allergen in OP's diet. Maybe I have to read the thread again. OP sees a direct effect from eliminating it.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#33 of 39 Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

neera from what i understand i dont think pek is ruling out dairy. she is just not convinced it IS the answer. 

and i agree with her. i think she is saying look at the big picture. since she has so much stuff going on herself - she wants OP to check out every avenue. 

i am at that point myself. and GMO brings its own list of issues. 

just as an example - before we gave up dairy and gluten dd wasnt completely allergic to it. she could handle a little bit. raw milk - no problem. fresh without preservatives organic sprouted wheat no problems. then she hit puberty and hormones and boom no more of them. waiting for summer to do a complete elimination diet. HOWEVER not completely sure i would do it. coz of the emotional cost of eating. puts a lot of stress on dd. esp. now as peers are big in her life. and she wants to fit in and not be different. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#34 of 39 Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 AM

Got it. Thanks, Meemee. What is emotional cost of eating btw?

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#35 of 39 Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

food is such a huge integral part of our life in every aspect that changing food habits or diet - is far harder than it looks - because food is so linked to every aspect of our life, that really dietary change is more of a life change. how much of life and fun is built around food. eating is not just about nourishment but a way to connect with people,  a form of having fun. its a treat that you give yourself. 

always having to watch your diet is not pleasant. watching others eat your once favourite food is very emotionally hard when you cant eat it. 

in dd's case it would mean she would have to be the odd man out amongst her friends and she is tired of that. 

and if you are addicted to food - or certain tastes - as i am - it becomes even harder. i have to say i have though succeeded with soda and fruit juices. i no longer yearn for them and when i do have some - they taste pretty nasty. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#36 of 39 Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

food is such a huge integral part of our life in every aspect that changing food habits or diet - is far harder than it looks - because food is so linked to every aspect of our life, that really dietary change is more of a life change. how much of life and fun is built around food. eating is not just about nourishment but a way to connect with people,  a form of having fun. its a treat that you give yourself. 

always having to watch your diet is not pleasant. watching others eat your once favourite food is very emotionally hard when you cant eat it. 

in dd's case it would mean she would have to be the odd man out amongst her friends and she is tired of that. 

and if you are addicted to food - or certain tastes - as i am - it becomes even harder. i have to say i have though succeeded with soda and fruit juices. i no longer yearn for them and when i do have some - they taste pretty nasty. 

Thanks.

#37 of 39 Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

Yes, yes, yes!

After a decade, it gets easier, though.

Good friends are readily noticed, as they don't rub it in your face. One year, at Halloween, our across the street neighbor's daughter, who found out that my son couldn't eat sugar, told the rest of the neighbors. They all had non-candy treats for my son when he went trick-or-treating!! It was great!!
#38 of 39 Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM

And thanks for explaining, meemee!!
#39 of 39 Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM

I'm not pointing fingers in any direction, but I do have to say after I eliminated dairy from our diets my 10yo son's constant "snortiness" (stuffed up nose that needs to be blown ALL THE TIME), skin rashes and bathroom GI issues have completely cleared up. He did eat a cheese on a burger (he was with my mother) and BAM came on the snorts!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page