Costco memberships?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are about to have baby number 4 and I think it's time to bite the bullet and get a costco membership. We don't do dairy so I'm wondering if for groceries it's of any value to us?

Any veggie mom's out there making use of a costco membership??

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#2 of 18 Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

It depends on your local Costco but ours has a decent selection of vegetarian and organic foods.  They have almond milk and soy milk, nuts and dried fruits, cereals, staples like rice and beans and canned goods, frozen foods like veggie burgers, free-range eggs, etc.  I think you can get a guest pass and take a look around. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 18 Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM

They also carry some organic produce, coconut oil, olive oil, organic coffee, fruit leathers and lots of other great stuff.
#4 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

A friend of mine said it's more the worth it for us. I'm thinking mine will be pretty decent. It just opened a few months ago and it's around grocery stores that carry our almond milk ect so I'm hoping they'll compete with that. I think it'll be more then worth it for us. I need to start buying things in bulk. The kids are eating me out of house and home

#5 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Just to give you an idea, some of my family eats meat, but I just went and got almonds, soy milk, applesauce for lunches, large bag of spinach, 3-lb. bag of frozen berries for smoothies, jug of maple syrup (about $4 less than the same thing at Whole Foods), dried mangos, and a bag of hemp seeds for smoothies. As far as non-food, I get laundry detergent there, and this time they had Speedo kids' swimsuits. I often get organic eggs there as well as black bean-chipotle veggie burgers and gluten-free crackers (they didn't have any this time).

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#6 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

The hemp seeds and berries make me VERY happy!!!

#7 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM

There's always a decent selection of somewhat rotating vegetarian 'specialty' kinds of freezer foods - like black bean burgers, falafel, veggie breakfast sausage, veg spring rolls, edamame.  And other pantry items like indian pouch dal meals, annies mac & cheese, canned beans, rice, quinoa.  Best prices for things like nuts or dried fruits (nice selection of dried fruit too).

We always seem to favor produce and snacky stuff in our costco trips - so get things like hummus, salsa, cowboy caviar and chips, roasted seaweed packs, fruits (great berry prices).  And I've done well in getting mushrooms, broccoli, baby spinach or kale, celery there regularly for using the bulk of them in various dishes (like mushroom stroganoff or broccoli soups where I use a bunch all at once).

#8 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I will have to keep an eye out for the falafel! I forgot to mention the dal meals and Annie's - have bought those as well. And extra virgin olive oil!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#9 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Their memberships are 100% refundable, so if you find it's not for you, you can always get your money back. We're just a family of 3 and it's totally worth it for us. 

#10 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Ours has a TON of organic selections.  We too are dairy free but the organic produce and groceries alone are enough to get me in there.  The organic eggs go quickly in or house, and we try to do minimal meat - def not the low quality cheap stuff - and they do carry organic meats as well.  I have the largest tub of coconut oil I've ever seen sitting on my counter from there - 54oz organic unrefined extra virgin that I picked up for less than $10 and it tastes phenomenal, better than some more expensive ones I've picked up elsewhere.  If you shop ther enough it's worth it to upgrade to the gold membership (I think that's the upper level one) bc you get cash back at the end of the year based on what you spend.  We did that when DH was doing alot of shopping for the firehouse and it payed for the renwal mebership and then some!

#11 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

Their memberships are 100% refundable, so if you find it's not for you, you can always get your money back. We're just a family of 3 and it's totally worth it for us. 

This is totally true.  PLUS if you dislike something - you can bring it back and don't need to force yourself to eat the whole darn box.  They once had some odd veggie burgers that we really hated that we returned after trying, and some kind of frozen pizza that noone else liked at our house.  It's awfully nice knowing they'll do that.

#12 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

This is totally true.  PLUS if you dislike something - you can bring it back and don't need to force yourself to eat the whole darn box.  They once had some odd veggie burgers that we really hated that we returned after trying, and some kind of frozen pizza that noone else liked at our house.  It's awfully nice knowing they'll do that.
I know! smile.gif I can't say enough great things about their return policies and customer service! We've returned things like half-eaten bag of dog food, pomogranate seeds (they took them back no questions asked, they even said they got a really bad shipment), diapers, even some baby clothes we got without tags but were too small. They recognized it was a style they sold and gave us the money back... Their online store is awesome too, SUPER fast shipping, I get everything within a day or two if I order before 3 and once I ordered a set of wetsuits for a trip, they got lost, I called their custom service, they had a new set shipped out no questions asked, and then the other set showed up too... They said I could keep them but I returned them because they treated me so well!
#13 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 PM

Worth it, though less so since my local store hasn't had organic peanut butter or organic 100% WW bread. Still, my membership pays off with organic soymilk alone.

#14 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

It turns out my mil is buying us the basic membership for Dh's birthday under the agreement we upgrade to the premium membership. She wants us to get the 2% back. She was mostly excited about the gas price. Dh passes costco every day to get to work and gas is significantly cheaper there then anywhere else. That alone should help save some money.

I like the return policy. SO MANY TIMES the kids have asked for some "fake meat" product to eat one and say "I don't like this" Makes me happy if I can return them

#15 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

It turns out my mil is buying us the basic membership for Dh's birthday under the agreement we upgrade to the premium membership. She wants us to get the 2% back. She was mostly excited about the gas price. Dh passes costco every day to get to work and gas is significantly cheaper there then anywhere else. That alone should help save some money.

I like the return policy. SO MANY TIMES the kids have asked for some "fake meat" product to eat one and say "I don't like this" Makes me happy if I can return them

In that case, make sure you review the different types of AMEX memberships carefully. You have to choose between earning the 2% from instore purchases OR gas, but not both. The savings on gas is still pretty good though, especially if you need premium... that's always like $.15 cheaper.

#16 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

In that case, make sure you review the different types of AMEX memberships carefully. You have to choose between earning the 2% from instore purchases OR gas, but not both. The savings on gas is still pretty good though, especially if you need premium... that's always like $.15 cheaper.

That must only apply to the credit card through them, not the membership card.  We had the premium membership and got both the cash back and gas prices...

#17 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

That must only apply to the credit card through them, not the membership card.  We had the premium membership and got both the cash back and gas prices...
Sorry, I worded that badly... The gas prices are the same for all members but you have to choose between getting the 2% cash back from either your store purchases or gas purchases but they won't do both.
sassyfirechick likes this.
#18 of 18 Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 PM

Don't know where you are (or if you drink alcohol) but just FYI in California you cannot return alcohol. Signed / found this out the hard way after our wedding....

me (38) + wife (34), one fabulous fur-son.  Newlyweds starting TTC Feb 2013 for our first baby!

Tags
Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page