vegan/veg for diabetics? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
myk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm seeing a lot of conflicting info when i google, so i was thinking someone here might be able to help.

i'm a meat eater. my husband is a meat eater. my 8 year old is a meat eater. but my 2 year old is refusing meat, fairly consistently. she eats tons of dairy but i don't think it's good to be her sole source of protein. so i'm looking for some non-dairy vegetarian recipes..

the problem is, i'm waiting on some tests to find out if i'm type 2 diabetic (very very likely). the recipes i see often rely heavily on grain, wouldn't that be a problem?

basically - are there any diabetic vegetarians out there and how do you make it work? i want to be able to cook something for my toddler that she'll eat, but not shoot myself in the pancreas while i'm at it.

January 2011
#2 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My 2.75yo loves tofu and beans. Could you make your usual recipes and add one of those either as well as or instead of meat? My husband is vegetarian and I often do vegetarian dishes and then add meat for me. Stir fry is good. Most vegetables are "free" foods for diabetics meaning that they won't affect your BSL. So you could do a big veggie stir fry and add some tofu for your little non-meat eater.

Eggs are also good and fairly easy to cook in addition to meat. Maybe a boiled egg instead of the meat. Or you could do veggie slice or crustless quiche which are both diabetic friendly.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 12 Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 AM

I don't have diabetes but I follow a low-fat whole foods plant-based diet (basically healthy vegan) and I have done some research on this for my mother who has Type 2 diabetes. If you follow a diet with lots of whole grains, starchy vegetables, yellow and green vegetables, and some fruit, you can start to reverse your diabetes symptoms. You would want to avoid fatty foods like oils and vegan processed foods. And obviously fruit juice and sugary foods should be avoided as well. But a lot of people have had success with this way of eating, and it's really a myth that diabetics can't have any grains or carbohydrates--you just need to eat healthy!

Here is a link with some information from Dr. McDougall: http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_diabetes.html

Here is a link to Dr. Barnard's book about reversing diabetes: http://www.amazon.com/Neal-Barnards-Program-Reversing-Diabetes/dp/1594868107

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#4 of 12 Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 AM

Hi there, 

I was just reading your post and wanted to offer my services as a nutritional consultant.  At the moment, I'm setting up my practice and am looking for clients to take on for a duration of 6 weeks free of charge.  I am particularly keen to engage with people that are pre-diabetes and looking to transition to a vegan or plant-based lifestyle. 

As I'm not in your area, the consultations and recommendations would all need to be done via email, but I think I could really help bring some clarity into your first steps towards a healthier life.  

Again, I'm looking for the experience at this point and won't be charging for the service.  However I will ask that you do a video diary (if possible) and provide testimonials once your experience is complete.  

If you'd like to get in touch, please email me through my website at http://www.keennutrition.co.uk

Thanks and I do hope that you do! 

-Aimee

#5 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

i am not a diabetic. but i eat a diabetic diet. i have it strongly in my history and i was prediabetic.

just coz you have diabetes does not mean you have to become a vegetarian. 

however there are ways of eating a vegetarian diet. first of all let me tell you only in the US is everyone concerned about protein. you get protein from just your veggies. my basic proten source is beans and lentils. 

starch is  your fuel. very low and very high blood sugar is really bad. you can die from either. the way your body processes starch and sugars is what makes it able to handle whole grains.

the BEST way to find out how you react to a food is actually testing your blood an hour, 1 1/2 and then 2 hours and see what happens. what affects one person does not another. 

its not about all sugary foods are bad. its HOW your body processes it. in general some are bad for everyone. like sweet potato is better than white potato. 

however becoming a vegetarian, and on top of that a diabetes diet - its really really REALLY hard. i really am a gluten free vegan. you will be surprised how tough it is to eat socially. 

it CAN be done but its requires a lot of planning. 

so to truly find out how your body handles sugar - buy a blood testing machine (the machine is cheap, but the sticks are expensive) and do a series of tests yoruself. 

AND you will also find out how little you need to eat. how much we actually eat and how much we actually need are two different things. so portion size and how often you eat, many small meals instead of 3 huge meals make a big difference too.

for myeslf with my experiments i have found fat affects my blood sugar more than direct sugar itself. so i have cut fats from my diet drastically. it isnt easy i'd say.  

my mom has diabetes and the one thing that affects her the most is exercise. if you take a 30 minute walk once a day, that's half the battle won. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 12 Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

the BEST way to find out how you react to a food is actually testing your blood an hour, 1 1/2 and then 2 hours and see what happens. what affects one person does not another. 

its not about all sugary foods are bad. its HOW your body processes it. in general some are bad for everyone. like sweet potato is better than white potato. 

however becoming a vegetarian, and on top of that a diabetes diet - its really really REALLY hard. i really am a gluten free vegan. you will be surprised how tough it is to eat socially. 

it CAN be done but its requires a lot of planning. 

so to truly find out how your body handles sugar - buy a blood testing machine (the machine is cheap, but the sticks are expensive) and do a series of tests yoruself. 

Hi Meemee, I didn't know those blood sugar testing machines worked. I am prediabetic too.

Sorry, OP, I don't have any help but I have an annual physical soon and will know if my new diet is working which is soy free, gluten free vegan. I haven't been back to my doc since a year. I was being asked to go back every 3 months and every 3 months the result was the same. Either prediabetic or on the borderline. Doc had asked me to go vegan probably a year before that but I hadn't been able to give up dairy and was still consuming a couple of cookies every day.

If I've done nothing wrong, and my attitude is well-meaning, a difficult situation is just a test for my ability to remain beyond the judgement of others ~ Unknown
#7 of 12 Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 AM

neera i would request you to actually research on foods yourself rather than relying on your doctor. that is ridiculous that he asked you to go vegan. that does not make sense. you COULD be a flexitarian - mostly veggie with sometimes non veggie. however i can see why he said so. for me i find the fat content in my food affects my sugar more than starch and sugar.

i come from a family of diabetics and the only reason why they had to turn to medicine was because they couldnt control their diet. we have no idea how addicted to food we are. all are type II diabetics.

walking is HUGE. 30 minutes a day at least. you may do everything else but if you are not walking diet by itself is not going to be effective. i think its not only about exercise but the mind and the freedom from stress and just the mood you are in when you walk.  

i was prediabetic for a couple of months. i am not any more. i also watch my calorie intake. and am slowly bringing down my weight. 

i have always been a flexitarian. the only reason i am a vegan - is not really because of animal suffering. but to support my dd's allergies. i am much more politically concious than life concious. i do not object to killing but more how they are slaughtered. i dont eat certain food - like bananas and some quinoa due to political reasons.

stress is another factor. HUGE. no easy solution here. you have to figure it out for yourself. get others to assess the amount of stress you are in. like my father i felt i didnt have stress in my life, but my friends pointed out otherwise. so now i reduce the amount of stuff i get involved in and i do a lot of inner work like journal and draw which i really, really love. and cook too. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 12 Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:

neera i would request you to actually research on foods yourself rather than relying on your doctor. that is ridiculous that he asked you to go vegan. that does not make sense. you COULD be a flexitarian - mostly veggie with sometimes non veggie. however i can see why he said so. for me i find the fat content in my food affects my sugar more than starch and sugar.

i come from a family of diabetics and the only reason why they had to turn to medicine was because they couldnt control their diet. we have no idea how addicted to food we are. all are type II diabetics.

walking is HUGE. 30 minutes a day at least. you may do everything else but if you are not walking diet by itself is not going to be effective. i think its not only about exercise but the mind and the freedom from stress and just the mood you are in when you walk.  

i was prediabetic for a couple of months. i am not any more. i also watch my calorie intake. and am slowly bringing down my weight. 

i have always been a flexitarian. the only reason i am a vegan - is not really because of animal suffering. but to support my dd's allergies. i am much more politically concious than life concious. i do not object to killing but more how they are slaughtered. i dont eat certain food - like bananas and some quinoa due to political reasons.

stress is another factor. HUGE. no easy solution here. you have to figure it out for yourself. get others to assess the amount of stress you are in. like my father i felt i didnt have stress in my life, but my friends pointed out otherwise. so now i reduce the amount of stuff i get involved in and i do a lot of inner work like journal and draw which i really, really love. and cook too. 

Thanks, Meemee. You're always have something enlightening to say. It's really odd too that I was thinking about my mother's diabetes and high BP. The China Study says the less the animal protein the less those two problems among others. But my mom's intake of animal protein was so small it was laughable. Maybe two cups of tea with less than quarter cup of milk. The sugar was completely out. I know it is a horrible sweetner but she used sachharin then. Well, I just thought her problems must have been due to stress. She had loads of it even though she was SAH. 

My doc. asked me to read The China Study and try a vegan diet because he said everyone he had recommeded it too had amazing results. My doc is not vegan. These were people were with issues, not healthy people. Well, at first I couldn't do it. I think it was the cravings and I ignored his advice. But, then it happened on it's own. Did it happen because of cruelty? Yes. But the most important thing is that the cravings just disappeared. I feel lighter and ready to start exercising.

If I've done nothing wrong, and my attitude is well-meaning, a difficult situation is just a test for my ability to remain beyond the judgement of others ~ Unknown
#9 of 12 Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 AM

neera have you read the blood type diet book? i am not advocating it but it was a good way for me to find what is right for me.

and i fit the role of an A type blood group (yeah that was easy) and i found i needed less meat than my then husband who was an O. 

and looking back i have never really enjoyed eating a lot of meat/fish/egg/milk. today while ex eats mostly eats vegetable sources of protein his need for protein is still waaay more than mine. 

so for me to become a vegetarian was no big deal unless my aunt cooked her crab dish. it felt more natural. but i didnt notice a difference in my body when i gave up stuff.

however i felt a lot different when i gave up fat AND cut down on my proportion size. THAT was amazing and seriously. i feel more full eating smaller portions AND drinking water than when i ate more.  

i know the china study is huge. so is the meditteranean diet.

but i feel nutrition is today where medicine was 500 years ago. i also think animal fat is much more healthier than any oil you have. however just because you have access to something - even water - doesnt mean you should overdo it.

i think becoming vegan is huge for the person who ate a tonne of meat and downed it with glasses of milk. 

for someone who ate negligible amounts, i dont think it makes a huge impact. 

today i am concerned about this obsession over obesity. yes i totally understand why that's important but its shameful when you cannot research normal physical behaviour. try looking for info on baby fat and bellies in teenagers. no where (at least the first 4 pages of a google search) will you find any info that it is normal, that they show you the other side of things. 

anyways i am rambling here. if you want to read more about emotional side of eating pick up "overeating" from the library. it was quite an eye opener for me. esp. when you watch a thin person go through the same psychological suffering over a chocolate chip cookie as an overweight person. the only difference is one of them gives in. i really thought it was 'easy' being thin in this culture (in the sense that you dont overeat or go for that junk). what i actually found out was that it is the same thing. its hard being both thin and overweight. that eating healthy and choices are so difficult no matter what your BMI is - and that to me is soooo sad. we have been trained to be addicted to so much crap. 

#10 of 12 Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:

we have been trained to be addicted to so much crap. 

You bet. People say that parents should take responsibility. That is not as easy as it sounds. At dd's age, she sees other kids gettting all these yummy food - pizzas, tacos, hot dog, burgers, canned fruit in sugar syrup- at school lunch she wanted the same. She asks why the other kids are allowed it and not her. It's difficult to tell her that their parents are not being responsible. My parents probably made me a sugar and dairy addcit of sorts. Not their fault. They werent' so educated about foods. Hell, my dad didn't even finish high school. When the school is offering the food they are, really we parents are faced with a ton of problems.

#11 of 12 Old 03-27-2013, 01:03 PM

You should really check out the work of Joel Fuhrman in reference to diabetes.  He offers many, many success stories of people that have been able to go off diabetes medications and are no longer considered diabetic. 

http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/Diabetes.aspx

His book specific to diabetes.  http://www.amazon.com/The-End-Diabetes-Prevent-ebook/dp/B0089LOG7U

#12 of 12 Old 04-01-2013, 11:25 AM

Look up Raw Vegan it's great for curing diabetes !

Tags
Vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page