Why do you not consume soy if you don't? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I have heard it's bad for your hormones unless it's fermented the proper way like the Japanese, which can take up to two years to get it right - a little like wine. What are your reasons for not consuming it?

TIA

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

I have heard it's bad for your hormones unless it's fermented the proper way like the Japanese, which can take up to two years to get it right - a little like wine. What are your reasons for not consuming it?

TIA

Those are my reasons.   Plus I lost my mom to breast cancer 4 years ago, so I really try to stay away from anything messing with hormones.  I also have 2 girls to think about.  

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hugs. Sorry to hear. Did your mom include soy in her diet if you don't mind my asking? If you don't want to answer, will totally understand.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
#4 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM

I avoid soy. I have Hashimotos, a hypothyroid disease, and soy is not good for thyroid function. I cook with soy sauce once in a while (which is fermented) but never eat edamame, tofu or soymilk. I think the average healthy person can consume moderate amounts of all these in a balanced diet but if you have thyroid issues think twice about it.

I've heard stories of women noticing symptons of thyroid disfunction after switching to a soy heavy diet (like switching from normal dairy products to soy milk & yogurt plus lots of tofu). I don't think soy causes thyroid disease, it may just make the symptoms more noticible in those who already have it. If you google "thyroid soy" you'll probably find a ton of info.
#5 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM

My mom also had estrogen/progesterone sensitive breast cancer, so I avoid.

#6 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 AM

I don't consume it because I personally have an intolerance/allergy to it. However I think it's a perfectly healthy food when consumed in strict moderation (it's fairly high in fat so not to be used as a staple), and my husband who listens to me for dietary advice uses soymilk on his muesli and soy sauce on his vegetables. I don't believe in using soy as a dairy substitute because adults don't need dairy or anything like it!

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#7 of 7 Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM

We consume soy. But I do limit it. We have miso and prob an organic tofu meal 1 every 2w or so and organic edamame every so often. We did eat a lot of soy at one point. Ds wouldn't eat much of anything besides soy products. Reason I limit it now is mostly how processed and gmo soy is.

I will say that I hear a lot of negative soy talk from meat eaters mostly and I think it's hilarious. Most meat eaters/regular not very healthy diet people eat WAY more freaking soy then even my family of vegetarians do...tho they claim not to touch the stuff. I honestly would look more at how much hidden soy you're eating then decide if you should watch your intake. That's just my thoughts 2cents.gif

mommy daddy son daughter = our family

Tags
Vegan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page