Keeping baby on a vegetarian diet- and cooking veg for the family! Need a little input. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good morning!

Any suggestions for baby (just starting finger foods- 10 mos) and young children's/family vegetarian meals? My honey just told me he wants to try out vegetarianism! All on his own! Never expected it to happen! :D

I was starting to have qualms about introducing meat to my baby, but when my other boys were infants (seven years ago) I fed them (organic) meat because I often pureed what my ex and I ate (he was a huge meat eater) and didn't think into it. I knew I was really hoping to keep my baby on a vegetarian diet (he still breastfeeds constantly), but am not sure about what good starter proteins are for babies that young? Really want to avoid soy as much as possible too. Now that my Husband is on board, he also suggested just having the whole family got veg, which is AMAZING :)

Books? sites? favorite meals? Baby meal suggestions? Thank you! <3

#2 of 10 Old 03-25-2013, 03:39 PM

Good for you for becoming vegetarian! There's no need to worry about protein as all whole plant foods are good sources of protein. There is no need to eat soy on a vegetarian diet, so if you feel like you want to avoid it that is no issue at all. This is a way's off for us but DH and I are planning to offer wholegrain starchy foods and cut fruit and veg to our children after 6 months. Regarding meals simple things are probably easier, like wholegrain pasta and homemade sauce or brown rice with curry veg or veg cooked in soy sauce or salsa, that sort of thing. I recommend Dr. McDouga's recipes for more complicated things, but there's really nothing wrong with serving baked potatoes and salsa for dinner either!

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#3 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

i think you and your hubbie might find it easy going veggie - but your boys might be a different story. they have excellent meat substitutes (by excellent i mean tastes like the real thing - including bacon) that you might need for your boys. 

about baby and protein - how about lentils and beans. i had dd eating lentils and rice with avocado. 

gosh. there are a TONNE of vegetarian cookbooks and sites. 

this is the google result on 'vegetarian recipe blogs' https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1_____enUS445US445&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&gs_rn=7&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=vegetarian%20reblogs&tok=INxo4k8mtUEHw3Fqg5OnwQ&cp=20&gs_id=4a&xhr=t&q=vegetarian+recipe+blogs&es_nrs=true&pf=p&newwindow=1&rlz=1C1_____enUS445US445&sclient=psy-ab&oq=vegetarian+reciblogs&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44342787,d.cGE&fp=b14455ca06d57956&ion=1&biw=1092&bih=514

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Beans!  My dd started eating them around 9mos and now at 16mos she eats them just about every day - all kinds, plain in her snack cup!  Super easy for snacks

#5 of 10 Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

ooh one more. simple peas. those baby green peas. really high in protein and my dd loved them frozen. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 10 Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM

We are just transitioning to a vegetarian diet (I am leaning more vegan, but currently pregnant and haven't gotten rid of greek yogurt yet), so i have been trying to build a recipe base recently, trying lots of new things. Some current winners:

Creamy Avocado pasta: http://www.flourishingfoodie.com/2012/03/creamy-avocado-pasta.html

Tuscan Chickpea soup: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tuscan-chickpea-soup-10000000231724/

Falafel (I made a tahini sauce and baked them as per some of the reviews) - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Seans-Falafel-and-Cucumber-Sauce/Detail.aspx

Red Lentil Coconut soup: http://www.scalingbackblog.com/savory-bites/16117996741/

Pad Thai - http://browniesfordinner.com/2010/05/11/easy-pad-thai/

Pho (left out the chicken, added tofu for me) - http://www.eatliverun.com/asian-chicken-noodle-soup/

Tacos with beans instead of meat

Homemade veggie pizza

My two boys (5 and 3 yrs) eat just about anything, and haven't noticed the disappearance of meat. When they were less than a year, we gave them a lot of beans and lentils. With our first, we pureed everything to start, but with our second, we just gave him whatever we were eating, smashing a bit with a fork if necessary. If it was soup, we just scooped out the veggies/noodles onto a plate for him. He is much less picky about textures as a result. Until DS2 was 2yrs, if we were having a salad, I would just steam him some carrots or broccoli instead.

So I second the ideas about lentils, beans. Also quinoa and other grains. You can also get brown rice and quinoa pasta for fingerfoods if you want to avoid wheat.

Hummus dip - you can do lots of various dips actually...adding different beans, veggies, etc. (black beans, artichokes, edamame - if you are ok with whole soybeans)

And eventually, nut/seed butters (almond, sunflower) spread on tortillas/crackers

If you eat dairy/eggs, it opens up a bunch of options

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#7 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Get The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook.  I found it at a thrift store when I had just decided to go Veg when my kids were pretty little.  I still use it ALL the time!  My favorite recipe in it is black bean and sweet potato enchiladas.  So much other good stuff, too, though!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#8 of 10 Old 04-05-2013, 11:21 AM

My baby is almost 6 months so we haven't introduced solids yet, but I plan to feed her a simple diet of fruits and veggies (banana, avo, sweet potato, squash, greens, etc) and later introduce organic quinoa and some beans. I'm with you--we don't eat much soy and I really want to avoid giving it to DD, since it's highly processed and contains high levels of estrogen.
#9 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 PM

DS has been vegan since birth/conception. He breastfed exclusively for 6-8 months and began picking at solids soon after. He wasn't really eating solids in any quantity until he turned one or so. His first solids were sweet potato, avocado, banana, etc. After that he ate mixed meals containing quinoa, rice, ww pasta, couscous, beans of all kinds, tempeh, chopped greens and veggies. Cut friuts and veggies, whole grain cereals, and healthy snack bars were his favorite finger foods/snacks and still are. We never worried about protein as long as he was eating a variety of whole, healthy plant foods. 

My favorite book re: children and veg diets is Joanne Stepaniak's 'Raising Vegetarian Children'

http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Vegetarian-Children-Health-Harmony/dp/0658021559

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#10 of 10 Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the awesome input! :)

Tags
Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page