Vegetarian, dairy- and soy-free tofu substitute ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years, and I've recently given up dairy and soy as well (I started having a lot of stomach issues after my second baby was born nine months ago). Tofu has always been my go-to; I loooove tofu! But now with that option gone, I'm out of ideas for what to replace it with. I've found so many vegan recipes that call for either tofu or vegetable protein, which doesn't do me any good since they're both soy-based. I eat a ton of beans, but I'd like to branch out more. Does anyone have some good suggestions for me to try?

Thank you tons!

read.gif Mom of two amazing boys: blahblah.gif (9/14/10) and joy.gif (7/8/12)  Married to my bikenew.gif best friend 

Proudly slingboy.gif  cd.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif familybed2.gif signcirc1.gif treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use lentils in place of tvp in things like tacos,sloppy lentils ect and don't miss tvp at all

What about making your own tofu but out of navy beans or white kidney beans? Or out of Almond Milk??

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#3 of 10 Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Is gluten out, too? If not, you could make seitan (leaving out the soy sauce called for in the simmering sauce in many recipes).

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#4 of 10 Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Try making Burmese tofu like this one: http://www.girlcooksworld.com/2013/03/burmese-chickpea-tofu.html or google for variations on the recipe. 

Its basically chickpea flour/besan boiled in water until it is thick then cooled to thicken it even more.  The texture is pretty different from tofu, but it can be used in place of tofu in many recipes, and I like it.

Sometimes it is called chickpea polenta, so it is worth googling for that too for more recipes using it, although chickpea polenta can also be something a bit different made with whole chickpeas instead of the flour. 

#5 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Ooh, thanks for posting the Burmese tofu. I have a sack of besan sitting in the pantry waiting for recipes.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#6 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

These look great, thank you! Gluten's ok (for now), so I'm definitely going to try making seitan. And honestly, I never even thought about making tofu from other beans, what a great idea! Definitely trying that, too!

read.gif Mom of two amazing boys: blahblah.gif (9/14/10) and joy.gif (7/8/12)  Married to my bikenew.gif best friend 

Proudly slingboy.gif  cd.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif familybed2.gif signcirc1.gif treehugger.gif

#7 of 10 Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM

For hearty/chunk type foods - portabellos or breaded (or unbreaded) eggplant slices work well.  (I'm thinking of stuff like stir fry or sandwiches, and places where you'd add chunks of tofu/tempeh).  Homemade seitan is great and easy (easier than I initially thought when I first made it).  

For small amounts of tvp - I've sometimes used bulgur wheat, couscous, or oatmeal as a sub before.  A sorta-chewy brown rice would likely work well too.  Come to think of it, when you happen to use tofu to make something creamy - I'd bet you could blend cooked rice with coconut milk and try that out to add thickener/bulk.  Cooked potato may work as well, depending on the dish.  

#8 of 10 Old 04-05-2013, 08:36 AM

I love using quinoa as a TVP-like sub. It works perfectly and is much healthier!

#9 of 10 Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Unfortunately, it doesn't work to make traditional tofu out of other beans. The reason why soybeans work to make tofu is because they have such a high protein and fat content.  To make tofu, you first make soymilk, which is basically a suspension of cooked soybeans in water.  You add nigari or calcium sulfate, substances which cause the protein and fat molecules to bunch together and coagulate.  Then you strain the coagulated material (the tofu) out of the rest of the broth and press it so that it becomes firm.  To make one small block of tofu, it takes about 4 liters of soymilk. 

Other types of beans have a much higher carbohydrate content than soybeans, so they don't have very much protein and fat in them.  If you tried to make bean tofu using a coagulant, it would require a huge amount of beans to get enough fat and protein to clump together.  I tried it one time with garbanzo beans, and it was very disappointing - tiny amount of bean tofu, and a very odd slippery consistency. 

But I've never tried making the Burmese besan tofu.  That sounds really good. 

#10 of 10 Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Seems easier to just find new recipes.

When we went dairy free I started using a lot more nuts. Cashews are a great snack and wonderful on pasta.

Also, we are gluten free so I make a lot of baked goods out of almond flour. I love it when my kids ask if they can have another piece of orange cake--boiled oranges, eggs, and almonds (a bit of honey too.)

Try these places for adding almonds into your life:

www.elanaspantry.com

www.realsustenance.com

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page