• 1 Post By herbivora
  • 1 Post By highlandmum
  • 1 Post By liladancing
  • 1 Post By liladancing

#1 of 19 Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all :-) I posted in 'Finding your tribe', and have run a search, but can't find anything but older groups... so I thought I'd try here. Any pregnant vegan/vegetarian mama's out there? I've been an on again, off again, now on again vegan for years... and of course RIGHT before I found out I was pregnant had decided 'this will be the time I'll stick with it!'. But alas, I've been eating yogurts and cheese....  maybe I should aim for staying vegetarian instead of vegan while pregnant. Anyone with any experiences? What are you all eating? 

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#2 of 19 Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 PM

I am due next week and have been vegetarian my whole pregnancy.  I was vegan for a year and a half before I got pregnant and vegetarian for 2 years before that.  All I craved during the first trimester was real cheese.  I did pretty good for a while but then gave in.  I decided to just stick with being vegetarian and try to avoid eating too much dairy.  Just do what works best for you! Oh and avoid the junk food which can be hard to do sometimes...

#3 of 19 Old 04-07-2013, 10:08 PM

I am 34 weeks and just became vegetarian during this pregnancy. I did eat a lot of cheese/nuts/yogurt in the first trimester because it was fast and easy and fought off the nausea. More recently, I have not been eating eggs except if they are 'in' something, and have cut way back on dairy as well.

In the morning I usually have a green smoothie (soy/coconut/almond milk, 1/2 banana, tons of spinach, hemp seeds, frozen fruit, and a couple spoonfuls of greek yogurt for a protein boost - though I just found a good vegan protein powder, so I can do away with the dairy which has been causing terrible reflux). I will sometimes have homemade granola with yogurt and fruit instead, but it doesn't agree with my stomach as much...too heavy. I snack on nuts/seeds/fruit or will grab a homemade larabar/protein ball. Lunch is usually a loaded salad (kale, tons of sprouts, wild rice or quinoa, nutritional yeast, 1/2 avocado, dried cranberries/grapes/apple, sunflower/pumpkin seeds or nuts) or a wrap (hummus, avocado, maybe some cheese, other veggies). Dinner varies; veggie curries, lentil tacos or bean burritos, lots of different bean soups, falafel or bean burgers, pastas, homemade pizza.

bren94 likes this.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#4 of 19 Old 04-08-2013, 12:59 AM

I'm pregnant with my first and following a vegan diet--specifically the McDougall plan, which is a low-fat whole foods starch-based diet. I'm having severe nausea and I haven't been eating quite as healthily as I normally would but I definitely have not touched any animal products and do not plan to. Personally I believe that animal products are extremely unhealthy and I am just not willing to expose myself or my baby to them. At the end of the day though it's your choice to decide what's best for you and your baby. Maybe this sounds harsh but I wanted to clarify that I am not judging anyone, just stating my own beliefs. smile.gif

It's nice to know that there are other pregnant veggie mamas! Thanks for starting this thread, highlandmum. Sometimes I feel like we are a tiny minority on MDC so it's really nice to chat with other veggies.
LoveDiva likes this.

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#5 of 19 Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 AM

I'm on and off vegan. Always vegan/gluten free and feeling great then I get pregnant. My body knows when I'm feeling my best.

I'm 26w with baby #4. I'm veggie now tho I did want to stay vegan this pregnancy that lasted all of a day eyesroll.gif It's pretty much the moment sperm meets egg I want want greasy fried egg breakfast. Something I can't stand when I'm not pregnant.

I'd love to be eating better but right now if I can eat anything and keep it down I eat it. I've thrown up more in the past 26w then my entire life combined. I'm on 8 diclectin a day and a med they give chemo patients at night and it's just started curbing my vomiting. I've been in the hospital on I.V and given shots of gravol. Can't take my prenatal tho I did get some liquid iron into me last night before bed and didn't throw it up!!!!

I'm near positive I'm having another boy. All the same cravings as my son and my husbands getting round in the middle tooorngtongue.gif The girls I was healthier. Craving whole foods like lentils,brown rice,tom yum soup. This pregnancy like with ds is dairy(which only agrees with me while I'm pregnant. As soon as baby leaves womb dairy REALLY gets limited and then taken right away),pizza,tacos ect. I will vomit for hours on a pb & j sandwich with natural pb and pure jam on a multi grain bread BUT give me a slice of pizza with double cheese and hot peppers and for the most part its the only thing I can keep down. I'm also craving "Grandma" foods. Everything my Gma made me when I was younger. I've veganized beef and barley soup,roasted potatoes/carrots covered with mushroom gravy. I tried to make a chickpea pot pie in the slow cooker and the smell 2h in made me dump the works. It's been tough. I can't wait to drop this baby RIGHT before harvest season. I'm so happy I'll be able to purge the nasty food out with fresh fruit and veggies.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 19 Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM

Yay! I'm pregnant and vegan! I posted in your 'finding your tribe' thread, but I found you here!

I'm due in December with #2 smile.gif
LoveDiva likes this.

Artist and DIY enthusiast on a happiness quest, I'm a crafty Mama to my sweet girl, pos.gif #2 due Dec 2013

Vegan. treehugger.gif EBF. winner.jpg
#7 of 19 Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 AM

I just came out of a totally vegan pregnancy (DD is 2 months) with huge success! It was my first, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I felt great the whole way through. I'd been vegan for a year (or two? can't remember) before pregnancy, so I was determined to not waver. I did think about eggs once in a while, though...

After the first trimester (I learned I was pregnant on a cruise ship, so the lack of veg options + morning sickness initially turned me off of most veggies greensad.gif ) I ate a huge variety of foods (fruit, veg, legumes, grains, nuts & seeds) in standby combos - salads, sandwiches, tacos/burritos, soups and stews. I was working full-time, and when I managed to cook supper I always made extra for lunch the next day. Breakfast was almost always a huge green smoothie, often with veggie juice and/or soy/almond yogurt with fruit and grawnola. I always had healthy energy bars or nuts or dried fruit or trail mix on hand.

I never had a craving (unless you count the flirtatious thoughts of eggs) or much heartburn (once or twice at the end, if I went to bed just after eating a huge meal), and I gained maybe 15 lbs during the whole pregnancy. In fact, I lost all of that weight the day I gave birth, and another five pounds the day after! No hemorrhoids... no stretch marks. I totally attribute my great fortune to my vegan diet!

I'd say go for it - it'll help you feel great throughout your pregnancy, not to mention provide the best for you and your baby, without the yucky stuff. Whatever you do, listen to your body, and enjoy the experience! <3
#8 of 19 Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Hey there, i am vegan and had a vegan pregancy as well. Baby girl is 8 weeks old. I ate a lot of nutritional yeast on foods, quinoa, baked sweet potatoes with melty earth balance, lemon water and watermelon. Those were all of my biggest cravings.

kelly beth, hubby & beautiful baby girl (02-18-13) stillheart.gif

#9 of 19 Old 08-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Just seeing this thread now. I'm 35 weeks, due end of Sep, and have been a lacto-vegetarian for more than 15 years (with vegan phases).

Getting enough iron & protein throughout the pregnancy has been a struggle for me. I'm taking iron (in addition to my prenatals) for moderate anemia. For protein, Greek yoghurt is saving my ass.. Cottage cheese in the first tri. Eating as much fake meat as I can. Beans, quinoa.. Protein bars. Protein powder mixed in with granola for breakfast. I had to get creative.

I craved more dairy during the pregnancy (usually I'm near-vegan), so I didn't restrict myself and just went with it. I also craved meat, esp. In the first tri, but couldn't bring myself to eat any. Getting your nutritional needs met will be easier if you can cook.. I haven't been able to due to nausea, so I relied a lot on ready made foods.
#10 of 19 Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm reviving this thread. I had a miscarriage with the pregnancy (I originally posted about) but got pregnant immediately after and am currently 18 weeks pregnant! Anyway, I've been having a REALLY hard time eating healthy .... I've slipped up and eaten meat a few times, and I'd really love to get back to a mostly vegan, healthful, diet. I made yesterday (on suggestion by another MDCer!) awesome black bean chili, added butternut squash and quinoa to it, and poured it over a sweet potato. Tonight it was Quorn nuggets and fries (kids request....) :/ But at least I had a leafy salad with roast beets too. Any biggest cravings, or good recipes? Please share! xo

LoveDiva likes this.

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#11 of 19 Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi. I am hoping to revive this group. Is anyone out there? I am a pregnant veggie here.

Madara rest in peace9/24/2013 
#12 of 19 Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I'm a TTC veggie!

June 18th, 2014
EDD February 26th, 2015
#13 of 19 Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 AM

Great. Okay so what are your big food right now? Mine are usually veg burritos

#14 of 19 Old 06-17-2014, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I have been lacto-vegetarian for over 11 years now. I started while pg with my second. I am now pg with my 6th. I used to eat only all natural non preservative food... but started slacking off a couple years back. I could tell a huge difference, not only in my waste line but general health. A few months ago (basically the beginning of this pg) I started back to all natural.

The only dairy I consume is milk from local dairy and Cabot cheese, which is Rennet free. I don't eat fortified foods for the most part. I eat Alf's cereal (puffed rice or wheat). I only eat all natural peanut butter.
I make a lot of veggie soups.
#15 of 19 Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 PM

Blessed one very cool. Maybe you could post a veg soup recipe? I have been veggie since I was 12 so 14 years now. I am not as strict as you are about processed foods but I try to eat as healthy as I can. I am lacto ova. I like making stuffed bell peppers with goat cheese, quinoa among other things. Glad someone else is here active in the group.
BlessedOne likes this.

#16 of 19 Old 06-17-2014, 06:20 PM

most of my soups end up being "a little of this and a little of that"..lol
every week I made a 5 quart pot of soup
for years my go to recipe was as follows:
1 large bag of frozen mixed veggies
-a cup or two of rice
(cover with water and boil... season however you want) once mostly cooked add
1 large can of veggie juice (I used gv from Walmart)
and one small can diced potatoes
season (I use salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley) continue to cook for a while (the longer it sits the better it tastes)

but now I have adapted it to be preservative free
instead of canned potatoes, I use a frozen cubed potato that is preservative free (not all stores carry it)....
instead of veggie juice I use carrot juice (in refrigerator section by normal juice) or a different store carries tomato juice without preservatives.... sorry I can't think of names right now
as for onion and garlic powder, I found dehydrated in grinder.
as you can tell I am all for quick and easy.... obviously more fresh options are out there... but I like as little prep time as possible

I will post more later when I have more time
#17 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 03:06 PM

Currently making a somewhat new variation of soup.
1 bag of mixed frozen veggies (or canned or fresh if you prefer)
1 bag of frozen potatoes (or canned or fresh if you prefer)
about a half cup of rice ( I use instant brown rice)
cover with water and boil until mostly cooked and season accordingly (I used sea salt, pepper, dehydrated garlic onion and parsley).
once mostly cooked, I take corn starch (put about 1/3 of a cup in measuring glass) and mix it with cold milk (or cold water) ....pour the slurry in the hot soup while stirring. It will instantly thicken up. Let cook on low (or in reality, there is enough residual heat if you want to conserve energy) for a few extra minutes to cook off raw corn starch flavor. If it is thicker or thinner than you like just had more or less slurry....if really too thick (it will thicken once refrigerated too) then add more water or milk.

I taste tested it and it is for sure winner!
#18 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 03:50 PM

blessedonethanks I will have to try those out.
bren94 looks like you got your wish and you're not ttc anymore. Congratulations.
BlessedOne likes this.

#19 of 19 Old 08-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Hi!

I came back to MDC after 8 years away because I am struggling with food.

I've been off again, on again veg for over 20 years. I'm leaning toward vegan, though I do still have a bit of dairy-half and half in my coffee, a bit of cheese.

I'm 18 weeks with #5 . I'm having trouble with my blood sugar, and just with eating enough and well. I have essentially been living off crackers and fruit for months.

Besides that, I feel amazing Best pregnancy ever. But I do need to eat.

any suggestions for easy to prepare, higher protein foods? Everything sounds nasty. I'm going to try nuts again, but i'm holding out little hope.

Homeschooling SAHM to my boys

Sagittarius
Aries 8
Gemini 5
Taurus 3
And expecting Inspiration in December

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page