New source of protein-vegetarians may want to avoid this post - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 04-25-2004, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dh will snag a squirrel or bunny sometimes, and does a simple marinade and then a simpler broil. very simple.

the whole 'cleaning' and 'preparing' is kinda icky, but IMO (i want to stress that) anyone who eats meat (or veggies ) should be ready and able to do the dirty work.
#32 of 42 Old 04-25-2004, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel
my dh will snag a squirrel or bunny sometimes, and does a simple marinade and then a simpler broil. very simple.

the whole 'cleaning' and 'preparing' is kinda icky, but IMO (i want to stress that) anyone who eats meat (or veggies ) should be ready and able to do the dirty work.

THIS is why i do not eat meat!
#33 of 42 Old 04-26-2004, 03:52 PM

toraji~that book looks really interesting! many thanks for sharing the link.

heartbeat.gif

#34 of 42 Old 04-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Banned

Rabbit and dumplings or fried rabbit is how I have alwasy cooked it. Basically cook it the way you would dark meat chicken. The taste is a bit gamey, sort of like deer meat but not as strong.
#35 of 42 Old 04-26-2004, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! Looks like I whacked a hornet's nest here.

I thought my disclaimer for the vegetarians in the subject line would get me off the hook. Oh well. :

First off, I need to thank CK'smama, myrhhmaid and EnviroBecca for coming to my defense. My computer was down this weekend so I couldn't respond sooner.

And thanks to Plady and toraji for supporting my thoughts about raising my own protein source.

I feel like I need to justify my request a bit since it raised so much contraversy.

First off, I have never eaten rabbit, and I hope that I will like it since dh does.
We are trying out best to "get off the grid" I grow almost everything we eat in my organic garden. I participate in a community garden center as well, and pick up organics from local merchants for composting 7 days a week.

I used to work at a no-kill rescue for dogs and have no contempt for animals.

I am very allergic to soy and can not use that as a protein alternative. And lets face it, we are omnivores and need both vegetables and protein to survive and if I only eat beans and broccoli, my hubbie will make me move out.

As far as animal rights issues, I am aware of the arguments behind not eating meat, but the heath issues, to my understanding, are more based on the garbage that is fed to the animals and not something that is inherently unhealthy about meat. Furthermore, the argument about the poor treatment of animals is very valid and what the angry poster earlier may not have realized is that by doing this at home I am not patronizing the supermarkets and not contributing to the demand that stimulates the supply.

The rabbitry at our house is in a cool shady area. Their space is 10x60 feet. They eat fresh veggies, oat hay etc.. and have fresh water. Dh will take care of slaughter and cleaning. He has done it since he was a boy and knows best. I don't think I will stick around to watch. My point is that they will be treated light years better than commercial meat producing industry.

Why rabbits? because they are quiet and easy. They have very low fat content, are super high in Omega 3 and since there was no way to do salmon in the backyard, it seemed like a good choice.

Will I get attached? well so far, I am a bit afraid of them. They are completely wild. Not your petstore variety at all.

what will I do with the pelts? I just downloaded an article on how to tan the pelts. I am not sure if I can do this... once again everything is theoretical to this point . But, I will continue reading about it.

Why not chickens? We have been talking about them too. I was not sure if the hens would lay without a rooster since we live in the city and I think the noise would be a problem.

Anyway, maybe I am a bit wacky, but it seemed better than going to the store and eating weird hormones or going to Whole foods and breaking the bank.

thanks to everyone. This has been a great discussion and I would love to hear what anyone else thinks.
#36 of 42 Old 04-27-2004, 08:01 AM

This whole discussion reminds me of a talk show that I heard once. These two talk show guys were discussing the army issuing rabbits as part of their survival training to teach soldiers how to kill and eat food in the wild. PETA had a fit.

One of the guys was incensed because he had raised rabbits as a child and hated the idea of them being killed and eaten. His partner, on the show and in life, brought up a really good point. Rabbits are unfortunately at the bottom of the food chain in nature. An owl or eagle will pick up a rabbit in its talons and tear it apart while it is still awake and kicking. As a human we can make sure that its death is painless. After that, it is dead, it doesn't feel anything.
#37 of 42 Old 04-27-2004, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Why rabbits? because they are quiet and easy. They have very low fat content, are super high in Omega 3 and since there was no way to do salmon in the backyard, it seemed like a good choice.
:LOL Fair enough. I certainly hope you didn't think I was critisizing you. I really was just curious. I feel no particular affection towards chickens or fish and was raised in a place and time when wild game was a needed winter staple for survival, but rabbits I would have a hard time harvesting (but I have trouble with personally hunting game in general). That is just me though, and I truly believe that home raised meat is worlds beyond supermarket/industry meat in terms of quality (of life, of the meat, etc.).

Cuddos to you

My mother usually made rabbit/hare stew.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#38 of 42 Old 04-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Banned

Yes, rabbit is one of the leanest animals. I remember reading something about rabbit starvation among western pioneers and american indians (if other animals were scarce, they would eat rabbit until they were bloated). Too little fat isn't a good thing. You need moderate amounts of fat to ensure proper protein digestion. I have some recipes from old times (1200 something) using rabbit, but along with pork fat. As long as your fat is from organic, pasture-fed sources, it's good for you, even essential.
#39 of 42 Old 04-27-2004, 01:49 PM

Abigail, hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs. Just be aware that if you don't have a rooster, one of the hens will stop laying and act like the rooster, being top hen.

I love our chickens, they are so entertaining to keep! I like the clucking too. We have them in a really big area with lots of browse to eat and the eggs are fabulous. The yolks are really golden yellow and taste like vanilla.
#40 of 42 Old 04-27-2004, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Just be aware that if you don't have a rooster, one of the hens will stop laying and act like the rooster, being top hen.
I didn't know that.
Someone once told me that fertilized chicken eggs are better for you than unfertilized eggs. Dunno if this is true or not. We are also in the city where noise is an issue so we'll be only having hens. Phooey...we can only have 2 so does that mean only one will lay, toraji?
I also agree that raising rabbits is VERY commendable. I do think I'd find someone local (or at least regional) who could provide you with one to try...I mean, it would stink to get all set up and find out you can't stomach the flavor. I really dispise gamey meat (i.e. venison!!!) and so I'd be leary but bravo for you! Also motherearthnews.com is an EXCELLENT homesteading/self sufficient website/magazine (which you probably already know about...)
Links to articles of intrest:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/menar...ID=1406&Num=36
http://www.motherearthnews.com/menar...ID=4178&Num=27
#41 of 42 Old 04-27-2004, 08:07 PM

It's probably more of a problem if you have more than one hen. I think if there is only 2 then they'd be on more of a partnership status than needing one to dominate. But I'm not really sure, as my experience is with more than 2 hens.

I like having a rooster around, and philosophically it seems more natural than just having hens. From an energy standpoint I think the fertilized eggs would be more of a whole food than the non-fertilized ones. But I've heard that there is no difference between the two, except the whites in fertilized eggs will break down quicker (get watery) than the non-fertile ones.

ETA: moss, you're welcome! there are so many great books on that site, I just need to find time to read them all...
#42 of 42 Old 04-27-2004, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Sadean- I didn't take it as a criticism at all. I think that it is interesting regarding how lean the meat is. Perhaps this is why all of my French recipes include other fatty meats with them. I guess I will modify those recipes.

thanks all for your input and especially for the links and recipes.

take care!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page