What's your favorite vegan snack that you bought recently? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

I am not veg*n, but I am currently dairy and soy free while I am nursing.   

I've been loving the Coconut Bliss products for treats, but am on the search for some snack foods that aren't sweet.

Hit me with your best links!! 

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 19 Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two Moms In The Raw Truffles! 

Ok, this is a sweet snack food, but not as sweet and guilty as traditional truffles. And this is to DIE FOR, trust me!

I am currently training for a half marathon (Avenue of the Giants in the Humboldt National forest in Mendocino - also considered one of the most scenic marathons in the world), and I go on a long run every weekend from my house to the ocean (in San Francisco). At the end of my run there's a little grocery store that only sells organic stuff and being low on energy I was craving something to boost me up. That's how I discovered Two Moms In The Raw Truffles - and it was love at first taste. Since then, every weekend when I run I make sure to stop there and treat myself to a pack of these. You get 3 truffles in a pack, which is great for sharing and also great for not overeating. 

Here's the official product description on their site: 

Decadence doesn’t always have to come with guilty conscience. Our truffles are crafted with handmade sprouted almond butter, agave and cacao for a sweet and creamy treat! Our raw processing helps preserve all of the antioxidants, vitamin C, Omega 6 fatty acids and serotonin that is depleted in heated chocolate, maximizing the benefits of your dessert. Serve them after dinner or send them in a care package as a sneakily healthy crowd-pleaser!

#3 of 19 Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 PM

And one more (since I am obviously very excited about this thread): Jem Raw Coconut Cardamom Almond Butter

Once every other week I would treat myself to a new product I've never tried before. I am a foodie and love trying new things and experimenting with new foods. When I saw the label of this item on the shelf at my local grocery store I had to try it. You can't really taste the coconut at all, so it tastes more like a regular almond butter, but with strong cardamom flavoring. It is absolutely delicious!! 

To avoid eating unhealthy snacks at work (and without giving up snacks altogether), I brought the entire jar to the office. When I crave something sweet, I take a teaspoon of it and wash it down with a tea or a lot of water. 

More about this item from their site: 

Jem Coconut Cardamom Almond Butter is a perfect combination of truly raw, stoneground sprouted almonds blended with coconut, South American lucuma, vanilla and warm, exotic cardamom. Lightly sweetened with coconut palm sugar. It's fair-trade, pure Jem ambrosia!

• USDA Certified Organic
  • Raw
  • Vegan
  • Low Glycemic
  • Mineral Dense Coconut Palm Sugar
  • Very Low Sodium
  • High Vitamin E
  • Healthy Fat

Using extremely heavy grinding stones and a lot of patience, Jem is able to achieve incredibly smooth nut butters and artisanal chocolate products by grinding ingredients to a size under 20 microns, at which point your tongue cannot distinguish individual particles.

Unbelievably smooth and rich with just the right touch of sweetness, this almond butter has the honey-like consistency.

Ingredients: Activated sprouted almonds, coconut, coconut palm sugar, lucuma fruit, vanilla, cardamom.

• Raw, sprouted Almonds: soaked in pink, Himalayan salt crystals, then dehyrated at low temperatures to ensure nutritional and enzymatic integrity.
  • Cardamom: Originating in India, this warming herbal spice has a heady aroma. Said to improve digestion.
  • Coconut Palm Sugar: Made from the sweet nectar of the coconut treea flower blossoms. Low-Glycemic index of only 35.
  • Coconut: very healthy ingredient that has antimicrobial and anti-viral qualities.
  • Lucuma: South American popular fruit that adds rich nutrients, such as iron, niacin, calcium. Flavor profile similar to maple, but more delicate.

About Jem

Jem Raw Chocolates are created by independent artisans producing healthy chocolates, sauces and nut butters that satisfy the mind, body and spirit. Using extremely heavy grinding stones and a lot of patience, Jem is able to achieve incredibly smooth nut butters and artisanal chocolate products by grinding ingredients to a size under 20 microns, at which point your tongue cannot distinguish individual particles.

Jem blends superior raw, organic ingredients that never contain gluten, dairy, soy or processed sugar.

Products are all handcrafted in small batches in Bend, Oregon.

#4 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Wow, those look great!!!  Going to have to see if I can find those.

Anyone else?  I need help!! I feel like  I need more to eat each day, but not being able to grab some cheese is making it hard. (Cheese/cottage cheese/etc was a fall back snack)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM

My go to snack is always hummus (homemade or bought) and crackers. I ate that almost every day while pregnant - my coworkers thought I was crazy. Also granola especially if you have a few moments to make your own. I love Natures Path granola but I think most if not all have soy in them. Also trail mix, fruit with any nut butter, or roasted chickpeas with a bit of oil, lemon juice, and fresh herbs (tons of recipes online for roasted chickpea variations). The cinnamon almonds from trader joes are also amazing. Goodness, this is making me hungry...
Monica S likes this.
#6 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM

I am not vegan either, not even vegetarian, but my diet is 90% vegetarian, so I really appreciate finding tasty vegan treats. I was searching for something earlier and this came my way: 

http://vegancuts.com/subscription 

Apparently there's a company that sends you a monthly box of vegan snacks - just like the CSA veggie box! What a genius idea! 

#7 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

Wow, those look great!!!  Going to have to see if I can find those.

Anyone else?  I need help!! I feel like  I need more to eat each day, but not being able to grab some cheese is making it hard. (Cheese/cottage cheese/etc was a fall back snack)

Primal Strips- vegan jerky. They have some made out of soy and others seitan. Packed full of protein. I haven't been able to get through a day without them.
#8 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Are these the ones Rozzie? http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Spirit-Meatless-Teriyaki-1-Ounce/dp/B000LKU3A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366781191&sr=8-1&keywords=Primal+Strips

There are SO MANY flavors! Any in particular you recommend?

#9 of 19 Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM

I like brown rice balls. You need to track down the sticky brown rice (also called sweet brown rice) -- you could use white sticky rice as well but brown has more nutrients.  Whole Foods usually has it. I cook it in the rice cooker like normal brown rice. Let cool, then shape into balls. You can add fillings if you want. Heidi Swanson over at 101 cookbooks has some tips on making them with fillings: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/sesame-almond-brown-rice-balls-recipe.html

I usually just shape spoonfuls of sticky rice in my hands, washing my hands after I make a ball or two as you will get sticky. You can roll them in a mixture of toasted sesame seeds, salt, and nori (run through blender or food processor) or just buy a japanese Furikake seasoning. My daughter loves them too -- I think I first fed her them at 9 months or so of age.

I love the wasabi almonds at TJs, I don't know if that would be a problem while nursing though. But toasted nuts in general are a good snack and a good source of protein. I also am fond of nut butters with apples or other fruits and veggies.

Also I recommend the book Feeding the Whole Family. It's not a vegetarian book but has vegetarian emphasis, and has feeding tips for babies (like how to modify the recipe so baby can eat it too), as well as good foods for nursing mothers. The Cauliflower Dulse soup comes to mind.

#10 of 19 Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM

Our family is vegan and we've got tons of favorite snack foods!  Here are a few of our soy-free favorites:

-Snapea crisps 

-Seaweed snacks

-Nuts (especially Trader Joe's salted pistachios!)

- Fresh fruit

-Coconut yogurt

Good luck!

#11 of 19 Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Are these the ones Rozzie? http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Spirit-Meatless-Teriyaki-1-Ounce/dp/B000LKU3A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366781191&sr=8-1&keywords=Primal+Strips

There are SO MANY flavors! Any in particular you recommend?

Yes that's them smile.gif I've only had the teriyaki and Texas BBQ. I love them. My husband eats meat and he thinks they are delicious too (I'm vegetarian). If you try any of the other flavors please let me know!
#12 of 19 Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM

Right now I'm on a trail mix kick

I got an awesome "energy" blend from costco. It's got roasted edamame,almonds,dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. It's really helping keep my energy up this pregnancy

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#13 of 19 Old 04-26-2013, 11:54 AM

My go to snack foods are roasted almonds and Real Foods Corn Thins (I like the sesame). I always keep a couple of Luna bars in my backpack, but those are really there to be emergency meal replacements, not snacks.
#14 of 19 Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 PM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

dh (meat eater) loves bumblebars.  He even has a shirt--which proclaims them to be vegan.  

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#15 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzie127 View Post

Yes that's them smile.gif I've only had the teriyaki and Texas BBQ. I love them. My husband eats meat and he thinks they are delicious too (I'm vegetarian). If you try any of the other flavors please let me know!

Thanks so much! I'll give these a try and let you know. smile.gif

#16 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 AM

There's always Larabars, they're dates and nuts. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=larabars

There's been lots of info in the news about rice containing arsenic or lead so I'd avoid rice, especially since you are nursing.

These can be sweet or not depending on how much honey you use:

Chocolate Macaroons

2 1/2 c. dried, shredded coconut

1/8 t. sea salt

½ cup cocoa

3/4 c. coconut oil, melted

¼ cup raw honey

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined.

Form into small mounds and place in freezer for 30 minutes before serving.

Store in fridge.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#17 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 AM

I'm currently dairy-free, soy-free and gluten-free thanks to stomach issues I've had since my youngest son was born, and I've found TONS of great recipes at this site:

http://www.yumuniverse.com/

I'm currently eating honey chia pudding as I type and it is insanely delicious, plus it was really quick and easy to make and it stores well. Here's the link:

http://www.yumuniverse.com/2012/12/25/honey-chia-pudding-with-pomegranate-seeds-and-pepitas/

I usually have a batch of these pancakes stored in the fridge for when I need a quick snack, too. They're especially delicious cold with a cup of coffee with coconut milk creamer. I just grab a couple out of the fridge and eat them like cookies:

http://www.yumuniverse.com/2012/06/25/oat-almond-crunch-gluten-free-pancake/

Those are both sweet recipes, which I know isn't what you're looking for, but there are plenty of other recipes that might be more fitting on that site as well. Good luck!

read.gif Mom of two amazing boys: blahblah.gif (9/14/10) and joy.gif (7/8/12)  Married to my bikenew.gif best friend 

Proudly slingboy.gif  cd.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif familybed2.gif signcirc1.gif treehugger.gif

#18 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

These are so great!!

#19 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm obsessed with chickpeas right now. Roasted and flavored chickpeas are soooo good. there are a couple brands out there, or you can make them at home. 

go to snacks usually are  sprouted dehydrated almonds, coconut yogurt, carrot sticks/rice crackers with hummus, raw chocolate, brown rice cakes.

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page