Pediatrician concerned about potential THC levels from drinking Hemp Milk. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband took my 18 mo old to the ped today.  Apparently, the doc seemed a little concerned that we give my LO hemp milk to drink. He said that he bet if we did a urine test, my LO would show up with high levels of THC. 

Now, I did a lot of research and decided on hemp milk because of the high fat content.  My LO is allergic to nuts, so that takes nut milk out of the question. I also did not want to give him a lot of soy or rice, so that took those milks out.  I guess I never really thought about THC levels.  I couldn't quite understand what the doctor was concerned about. Was he insinuating that if it showed up in his urine, we may get questioned about being pot heads or something?  (Because clearly if you care about your kid's nutrition, you must be a pot head).

Has anyone else's doctor been skeptical of hemp milk?  Should I consider switching?  He's 18 months now, so I don't think the fat content is as big of a deal as it was before...plus, I still BF twice a day, and he eats either yogurt or avocadoes almost every day.

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Your pediatrician is misinformed.  Hemp milk is made from hemp seeds, so it doesn't contain any THC.  Not even a trace.  Here's a quick article I found about it, but there are many others out there:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400584/High-on-Hemp-Milk.html

Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I wouldn't be concerned at all.  We do coconut milk here for the fat bc it was easier to find than the hemp milk.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

What Jenny said. 

Old 06-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Your doctor is incorrect. Print a reputable article and bring it to him so he does not misinform other people.

Believe me if hemp milk had thc it would be much more popular than it is.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLQ1011 View Post

Believe me if hemp milk had thc it would be much more popular than it is.

...and would not be freely available on the market in most states. winky.gif

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 06-18-2013, 03:26 PM

This thread reminds me of when I used to work at whole foods and a bunch of teenagers came in and bought the hemp seeds out of the bulk department. When they came through my line they kept on talking about how smart they were for buying cannabis at WFM rather than a drug dealer.... 

Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not a vegetarian but HAD to comment on this when I saw it in New Posts.... But then I had a big glass of hemp milk and I'm too wasted to write anything coherent...

Seriously, this doctor is HIGH. I find this so incredibly laughable but also sad because he is so misinformed. Wow.

Also, who is gonna give an 18 month old a drug test? It kinda sounds like he is ignorant and has you in some kind of pot smoking hippie category in his mind. It almost sounds like harassment!

I would be looking for a new doctor ASAP.

Now pardon me while I poor some hemp milk into this bong LOL.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Now pardon me while I poor some hemp milk into this bong LOL.

joy.gifthumb.gif

Old 06-18-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inconditus View Post

This thread reminds me of when I used to work at whole foods and a bunch of teenagers came in and bought the hemp seeds out of the bulk department. When they came through my line they kept on talking about how smart they were for buying cannabis at WFM rather than a drug dealer.... 

LOL I hope they ate those seeds and got  a little nutrition. Knowing kids that young though I bed they were WRECKED after eating them. I told my friends once I made "Special" brownies.... but the only thing special about them was the chocolate chips. They all thought they were so high. Silly kids.

Tags
Vegan
User Tag List