Vegetarian/vegan baby meals? Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there! I'm looking for moms/dads with babies with the age range 5-11 months! I just wanna talk about how do you make sure your baby's meals are balanced. A friend of mine is developing an app with vegan/vegetarian baby meals and she'd really need some thoughts from you! Thanks. I'm looking forward to start a conversation with you!

#2 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM

Not sure if I'll be much help for the app, but I have a 9 month old vegan daughter. We've done baby-led solids since she was ready around 6 months. We offer her what we eat and she can choose what and how much she eats from that. Since our meals are balanced, she naturally is offered a balance meal too. Since breast milk is still such a huge part of her diet, I'm not that concerned if what she consumes is completely balanced. It's more about experiencing tastes and textures.
#3 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate your answer on my thread! It helped me a lot. I was wondering if you could take a look on some vegan baby meals for a 9 months baby and tell me if they seem right to you. 

It would really really help me!

Thanks a lot!

#4 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My son is no longer a baby but we're a vegan family so he ate vegan baby food. Like the other commenter I didn't worry about balanced meals until he weaned.
#5 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 PM

I think a great resource would be Raising Vegetarian Children by Joanne Stepaniak and Vesanto Melina. Table 8.2 in the book has sample balanced meal plans and that could be used as a starting point for different meal combos.

There are a few articles on this website as well that review what balanced can look like and considerations for veg babies:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/preginfchil

I guess my only hesitation is that moms will follow serving sizes (if part of the app) instead of watching and reading their baby's cues. I think meal combo suggestions are great though.
#6 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! You help me a looot! You're kind people, I am a vegetarian for the moment but I am planning on going vegan soon.

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page