Summer dinners, What are you having? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This board has gotten really quiet lately and we have not had a "What's for dinner" type thread for a while so I thought I'd give it a try again. I've been bad a meal planning lately and I need inspiration. I don't want to cook anything in this heat.

We had pasta with a quick sauce of cherry tomatoes, onions and fresh basil with some chopped up veggie chicken thrown in.

How about you?

FitMOmmyOf2 and LoveDiva like this.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#2 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Root bake(olive oil, garlic,salt and fresh herbs) tossed on cut turnips,sweet potatoes,onion,beets,and potatoes with a shredded carrot salad.

Falafel and hummus yesterday.

Chick pea burgers later this week with sweet potatoes fries!!!!

#3 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM

I wanted to make chickea broccoi casserole from vegan with a vengeance, but now it's kind of hot and I don't know if I really want to have my oven on.  I might just make taco salad, but i don't have the bean I usually use or tortilla chips, so I'd have to drag my kids to the store, and I'm feeling kind of lazy.  I think I'm probably going to make mango/black bean/quinoa salad, but I'm a little hesitant because I've only done it with fresh mango before and right now I just have frozen.. but I think it would still be good with frozen.  

#4 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM

I also like pasta for a quick meal that doesn't heat up the kitchen too much. We've been having it with garlic scape pesto, sautéed veg and gardein. We grill a lot during the summer. Fav meal right now is a chile lime marinated tofu, grilled romaine lettuce with grilled garlic bread (artisan baguette with earth balance and LOTS of garlic). Lots of kabobs, homemade burgers (working our way through the burger recipes in the most recent VegNews), and grilled seitan too. Tonight we're having yellow curry with rice.

Love some other grilling ideas... It's hard to think outside the burger and kabob box sometimes.
#5 of 21 Old 07-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Made a veggie orzo (cubed yellow squash & zucchini, tomatoes) with the kids.  It was alright (both the kids actually ate some, at least eyesroll.gif they're extra picky in the heat, I think).  I planning to turn the leftovers into salad with feta & olives later.  

I could absolutely use more 'lazy, and too hot' meal ideas.

I made this purslane/greens fritatta lately too.  

LoveDiva likes this.
#6 of 21 Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Rice has been my go to this week to beat the heat. Had rice with coconut almond milk and honey n berries to get out if cold cereal breakfast rut. Dinner was rice with peas and chia seeds. Would have used sprouted quinoa if I had it :/
#7 of 21 Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight I made a bag of Nate Veggie 'meat'balls, balsalmic glazed kale and carrots, and basil orzo. I really need to get out of the prepackaged faux meat rut. It is just so easy and quick.

LoveDiva likes this.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#8 of 21 Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 PM

We've been getting tons of cabbage from the CSA, so I am making big batches of cole slaw, throwing in some shredded beets and maybe some corn kernels. Or pasta salad with whatever bean I have around and whatever veges I have, maybe some sliced olives, Italian dressing out of a bottle or I mix something up from whatever vinegar I have around and olive oil, herbs, salt, etc. Potato salad with dressing of vegenaise, bit of mustard, vinegar or pickle juice, etc. Noting very original at our house these days.

Big salad seems appealing, topped  with strips of sauteed tofu. Kids eat just the tofu and maybe a side of potatoes or a vegetable, depending what I have. (One will eat a little salad, but not a whole meal of it. The other won't touch greens.)

Got lots of green beans from the CSA, so I think I'll make a batch of green bean pate from Vegan Vittles.

Seems like I'm good on salads and sides these days but weak on entrees.

#9 of 21 Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Last night we had teriyaki tofu, carrots and bok choi with sesame oil noodles

Tonight we are having BLT's (possibly with red onion and avocado for me), corn on the cob, baked beans and watermelon

Tomorrow will be cabbage and carrots with potatoes and TJ's Italian sausage

I give up trying to avoid fake meats I just don't have the energy to plan ahead, do extra work and then fight my kids to eat anymore. I will keep trying to limit them but...

#10 of 21 Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quinoa stuffed zucchini since zukes were ripe and ready in the garden!

#11 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 AM

Tonight, rustic white beans and whole wheat penne with a fresh pomodoro sauce made from my own homegrown tomatoes and basil. 

#12 of 21 Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 PM

Ugh. I'm feeling so uninspired for dinners lately. I need this thread. lol

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#13 of 21 Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM

We had BLT's (with tempeh) tonight.

I also realized recently I can use up some yellow squash and make fajita veggies (should get some mushrooms for those too!). But we've got tons of yellow squash lately. . . Need to find more ideas for that!
#14 of 21 Old 08-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Great thread idea!  This week we've had chard, summer squash, and green onions sauteed with olive oil and pecans, over pasta; teriyaki tofu with cauliflower and rice; veggie burgers (Trader Joe's masala flavor) and cucumber salad; and now we're polishing off all leftovers before we go on a trip.

I just did a blog post with 4 weeks of our dinner menu!  I know I'm not supposed to post links, so I'll paste all the vegetarian meals (we do eat fish once in a while) and break the links, and if you want to look at the recipes and other details you can go to my profile and get to my blog from there....

Week One:

• Sunday: Tangy Honey Apricot Tofu, Salty String Beans, and rice.
  • Monday: Whole-wheat spaghetti with homemade marinara sauce.
  • Tuesday: Bean Burritos.
  • Wednesday: [out]
  • Thursday: Big salad of lettuce, cucumber, carrot, and tomato.  We tried a new recipe for Five-Ingredient Salad Dressing and liked it a lot! This was a very hot day, and none of us was feeling hungry enough to need some protein or bread as we normally would with a salad meal.
  • Friday: Baked potatoes with nutritional yeast flakes and sauteed zucchini, green onion, and herbs.
  • Saturday: Nutshroom Burgers and coleslaw.

Week Two:

• Sunday: [fish]
  • Monday: Cucumber Salad, lettuce, and assorted leftovers.
  • Tuesday: Bean Burritos.
  • Wednesday: Omelet with kale, tomato, basil, and green onion.
  • Thursday: Homemade macaroni-and-cheese. Green beans sauteed in garlic butter.
  • Friday: [out]
  • Saturday: Leftovers!

Week Three (partner out of town, so I was cooking when he normally would be, as well as working full-time and doing some other stuff):

• Sunday: Frozen pizza.  Garlicky kale topping for mine. My 8-year-old had a side of cucumber slices.
  • Monday: I tossed a diced eggplant with olive oil and granulated garlic, spread it in my lasagna pan, and roasted it in the oven. (The weather had turned cooler!) Meanwhile I boiled some whole-wheat rotini. Then I turned down the oven, mixed the rotini and eggplant in the baking pan, added lots of marinara sauce, topped it with mozzarella cheese, and baked it for 15 minutes. It was kind of like lasagna. I loved it! Nicholas cheerfully ate around the eggplant–hmph. More for me.
  • Tuesday: [out]
  • Wednesday: Cheesy Walnut Burgers…except that I used pecans instead of walnuts because that’s what we had, and they didn’t stick together…so Cheesy Nut Crumbles! Cucumber Salad.
  • Thursday: [out]
  • Saturday: Beans & Rice. Side dish of carrot and cucumber sticks.

Week Four:

• Sunday: We tried Whole New Mom’s vegan tastes-like-Nacho Cheese Doritos seasoning as a topping for sauteed summer squash from the farm, served over leftover rice. All three of us felt it did not taste much like Doritos, but we did like it, so I poured the remaining seasoning from the blender into a little bottle for future use.
  • Monday: Improved Pasta Salad made with whole-wheat rotini and frozen broccoli and cauliflower.
  • Tuesday: Masoor Dal and rice.
  • Wednesday: Whole-wheat spaghetti with Chickicheesinara Sauce.
  • Thursday: [fish]
  • Saturday: Eggplant Chili topped with cheddar cheese.
dbsam likes this.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#15 of 21 Old 09-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

We had BLT's (with tempeh) tonight.

Mm, that sounds so good. Haven't had tempeh in ages, maybe it's time to try it out on the kids again.

LoveDiva likes this.
#16 of 21 Old 09-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

This board has gotten really quiet lately and we have not had a "What's for dinner" type thread for a while so I thought I'd give it a try again. I've been bad a meal planning lately and I need inspiration. I don't want to cook anything in this heat.

We had pasta with a quick sauce of cherry tomatoes, onions and fresh basil with some chopped up veggie chicken thrown in.

How about you?

Thanks for re-viving the thread! :)

I haven't planned much in the past months ever since we've moved back stateside end of April... :o

Yesterday we had 'Chick'n' sweet & sour stir fry with brown rice, Friday was stuffed (Nappa) cabbage (with TVP) and potatoes and today we had potato soup with fresh home made sourdough dinner rolls.

Not sure yet what I'll make this week, I have to dig through my folders with tons of printed recipes! I need to finally utilize those more instead of only adding to it! LOL (Not to mention my unused cookbook collection!:innocent)

LoveDiva likes this.

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#17 of 21 Old 09-11-2013, 12:40 PM

I've been taking a package of TastyBite Indian food and rounding it out by adding veggies, tofu, tempeh or chickpeas. Too easy lol and I'm obsessed with Indian food right now smile.gif. Either that or just putting everything on a sale. With tons of before. We made mashed potatoes or quinoa and I just kept adding fresh veggies on top, ended up eating it over lettuce. Weird how when it's good fresh food it doesn't matter how you eat it it tastes good!
#18 of 21 Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 PM

We had Zucchini noodles a la Isa today http://www.theppk.com/2013/08/zucchini-noodles-with-peanut-sauce/ and they were amazing!!! (I love my spiralizer too! First time I've used it tonight and I can see myself trying to spiralize everything veggie LOL).

Yesterday it was some Lentil Eggplant dish over baked polenta. 

LoveDiva likes this.

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#19 of 21 Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM

Oh my goodness! We've been eating all the ez recipes from engine2 movie! So awesome!!!
#20 of 21 Old 09-24-2013, 12:33 PM

Vegan pizza and lasagna , hummus veggie paninis, the fireman cereal!
#21 of 21 Old 09-24-2013, 12:33 PM

Mmm peanut sauce!!!

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page