Craving meat - need suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is embarrassing, but I am 5 weeks pregnant and I want MEAT.  Like, I want BLOOD - I want to bring down a gazelle like some kind of lioness on the savannah and eat it raw.

Without the hyperbole, basically, I want steak and turnip greens.  I am loading up on the turnip greens and taking pre-natals, but not sure what else would mitigate this craving.  I have been vegetarian since 1990, with the exception of my second pregnancy, when I experienced the same problem and just ate whatever I wanted.  I would rather not do this again.

I do eat eggs and yogurt once in a while, but I don't use dairy milk - we stick to almond.  Most of my cookbooks are vegan, so I'm frequently vegan for days and weeks at a time, mostly due my extensive Isa Chandra Moskowitz collection.

Did this happen to anyone else?  I would appreciate suggestions for coping with this, if so!  :D

Thanks, 

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 02:37 PM

I got an overwhelming craving for my mom's beef stew when I was pregnant. It was crazy-intense. It was also one in the morning. By the next day, it had passed and never came back. I'm pretty convinced that in my case it was an entirely emotional craving. The thing that has historically settled meat cravings best for me is falafel and taboulleh - fatty, protein rich, iron rich. I don't know if it will help you, but there you go!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 PM

Sometimes if I'm craving something salty, savory, and very substantial, I make a giant pot of rich minestrone soup with lots of olive oil, tomato broth, kidney bean broth, a little wine, lots of different vegetables, greens and herbs, beans, pasta, and a handful of nutritional yeast to boost the umami flavor,  Eat it with warm sourdough bread.  Yum!

Hope that helps! 

Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Rich, fatty, high-protein, salty, savoury, delicious things...I can do that.  eat.gif

I grilled a portobello cap and put steak sauce on it - that was remarkably horrible.

I made the tahini sauce from Vegan with a Vengeance and squirted it all over some kale - that helped.

I made a big batch of spaghetti with the Upton "Italian Style" Seitan and mushrooms and kalamata olives.

And I found a recipe for "Beef Bourginon" using the Gardein beefless tips on someone's blog - it looks promising.

At least I'm a lot better cook now than I was the last time I was pregnant, 17 years ago.  redface.gif

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan
User Tag List