I need recipe ideas for my 5yo...gluten, dairy, & meat free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have been veggie for a long time, but we eat eggs (we have hens) and dairy. My 5yo needs to be on a special diet for a while, the gluten free we have done on and off for a while but now he needs to be dairy free also. We also are not feeding him refined sugar or food dye.

He is rather finicky and I just can't think of many meals he will eat. I'd rather just make the same dinner for all of us, but it needs to be something he will eat. He has been sick and is very thin. I would love to get a couple lbs. on him! Today he had:

Soy yogurt

smoothie-almond milk, banana, chai, raspberries, a little carrot/brocolli baby food(my baby wouldn't eat it) coconut oil, soy yogurt

Hummus & cucumber sandwich on GF bread

1/2 bellpepper

watermelon

1 egg white

GF cookies

I would love to find some dinners he would eat! Maybe I should list his favorite things that he usually will eat?

oatmeal, soy yogurt, gf granola, kombucha, avocado, bellpeppers, cucumbers, jam, hummus, pesto, gf bread, rice crackers, sunflower seeds, tofu, hard boiled egg whites, smoothies that are not green, gf deserts with no nutbutters or coconut flavor....hmmm, I need to think of more things

He likes snack food like veggie bootie, we rarely buy it & would prefer not too.

He will not really eat rice, quinoa, only a little beans, and sometimes pasta, sometimes salads.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!!!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quiches baked with gf crust or no crust (my kids say "egg pies") Just chop veggies, whisk eggs, mix it all and bake til the eggs are cooked. My kids don't like the yolk in boiled or fried eggs but like mixed eggs (scrambled or quiche) I try never to give egg whites without yolk.

Muffins with nut flour, such as http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-03/paleo-pumpkin-muffins/

I try to use nut flour, coconut flour, ground flax at least half the flour instead of only rice/potato/tapioca gf flour if I bake. The texture and taste don't stand out as nut to me in stuff like this.

Zucchini noodles and tomato sauce: slice zucchini like fettuccini and saute in oil, add sauce. I serve with meatballs, maybe you could use some TVP to make a bean based meat sauce?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

You can try spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute.  I've seen some pretty amazing looking chocolate pudding recipes on pintrest that use avocado as the base.  If you're already eating eggs and looking to avoid additives and such, mayo is super easy to make (egg yolk, oil of choice - we do organic canola or olive oil - vinegar, and viola) and you can mix it into various salads or for sandwiches.  DD loves it just as a dip when I do the canola/cider vinegar blend.  Roasted veggies in olive oil to add some fat.  My LO will eat anything green but for me to eat it, I have to roast it (or toss in a smoothie) but Brussel sprouts and kale are big hits around here when roasted in olive oil, salt and garlic.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some ideas my kids have gone for that might work out for you:

spinach oatmeal - This was a long-running joke we made up, initially, but is basically regular oatmeal with cinnamon and a small handful of chopped baby spinach thrown in.  It's totally tasteless though (the spinach).  IF you added blueberries also, I bet you wouldn't even notice the spinach as much.

Beans as a snack - this is best with beans from scratch, and I recommend either white or pintos.  We eat them with toothpick and a dip (something like ketchup or bbq sauce, flavored tomato paste would be good too and might be preferable in your case, OP).  Roasted chickpeas are easy and also good (I usually add curry powder and cumin to this).  Very different than eating 'just beans' and he might go for them this way.

We've done yogurt as a savory lunch - grated carrot and cucumber, and something crunchy on top.  (Pick a plain yogurt, obviously).

What about sweet potatoes or winter squash?  Does he like those flavors - they're tasty to add sweet-styled spices to as soups or with other meals (like cubed and roasted and tossed with greens for a salad), or make good custards (you can certainly find dairy free recipes - my mom used to make them with tofu, they also can use lots of eggs which is good - tasty for breakfasts!)

Even though he doesn't like rice - have you ever tried veggie sushi?  Like a mellow, homemade version of it.  My kids really like the flavor of seaweed so they really go for this, and you either just roll sushi rice into balls and put sprinkles (like sesame seeds) on them, or roll up favorite veggies (avocado, cucumber, etc).

What about a polenta - obviously use a gf cornmeal, but creamy polenta would be tasty and filling with a dollop of spaghetti sauce and some olives/fresh basil?  If he likes oatmeal that could be good.  You can also do sweet with dried fruits and granola on top.  Same for grits (though I don't know how easily it is to find gf free grits?  There was a really good hot cereal called 'rise & shine' that we liked that was brown rice grits.  Since you can't do sweet grits as easily, I'd try them savory and top with an egg. . .)

Tempeh might be good to try as it's particularly high in protein (assuming it fits your requirements, OP).  My kids have liked versions of it with some kind of sauce (like the packaged tempeh fakin' bacon).  But I've also done it with veggies and other stuff and they do eat some as long as there is some kind of sauce.

Tags
Vegetarian
User Tag List