Help - weird problem. I touched meat... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a vegetarian as of this year. I had a friend bring her kid over for me to watch and she brought over hot dogs. I touched the hot dog with my left hand and it been 24 hours and my hand is tingling and it feels like its slightly burning , as if maybe if I had touched fiber glass. Her baby is also very ammonia smelling, I believe from the WAPF diet and I believe it was either the hot dog or maybe the kid or the pee or something. I'm worries about the kid and I want to say something, because ahe is a clise friend i mine. but I can't find any info in this. I don't want to have the kid over I'd it's going to make me smell and burn my skin. But if its the hot dog I will just ask her to keep the meat at home. I can't find any info in this. Has anyone heard of anything like this??? Thanks!!!
#2 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM

I've never heard of anything like that.  I wouldn't jump to assume is the kid from one occurrence.  Perhaps there was some lotion or something that you were allergic too?  Or it was a complete coincidence and something else is going on? 

I have never eaten meat, but I have touched it with no problem (aside from being a little grossed out).  

LoveDiva likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 09-12-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well the thing is it was right away. since the kid lest my care i noticed it. and the smell of hotdog/salty/ammonia smell was in my fingers exactly where they tingled. I have not changed lotions or anything am am generally very picky about what I use. I work from home so have a pretty tight control over all products I use. It's finally gone. My skin feels a little raw there when I touch something but its not tingling or smelling anymore. I have heard of people being allergic to meat even to the touch but I still have no idea what to so. It wa Los bad enough I do not want to have to go through that again! :s
#4 of 8 Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 PM

Did you change the child's diaper?  Sometimes I've noticed that improperly washed cloth diapers can have a weird chemical reaction in which fresh urine changes to ammonia very quickly.  It can burn the baby's skin and your skin if you're not careful.  Maybe your skin had some salt or something on it from the hot dog and then it reacted with ammonia from a diaper?  That's all I can think of.  Very odd.....

LoveDiva likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting. Could very well be something like that. Thanks for the input
#6 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 AM

I've never heard of anything like this before being scientifically proven in situations such as you describe. But, it sounded so familiar that I hope you don't mind if I bring something I am familiar with up.  I know once I touched what I thought  was poison ivy and had an immediate "reaction" similar to what you describe. It never developed into the full blown poison ivy rash that so many of us who live in heavily wooded areas are too used to, but I was oddly "aware" of the area for a while. I found out about a week later that the plant I touched was not poison ivy nor anything toxic, and it most likely was my fear of a reaction that caused the "symptoms."

I've had similar things happen when I thought I had eaten foods to which I am allergic, but found out that I hadn't even come in contact with those foods. (Things like mistaking a piece of almond, to which I am not allergic for a piece of peanut, to which I am allergic and immediately becoming short of breath, wheezing, itching and had my heart pumping at about 150 bpm.)  My fears were getting ahead of me and getting the best of me. They symptoms immediately resolved when it was proven that it was NOT a peanut or a shrimp. Hmm.

The same kinds of things have happened to my father, but much more frequently and with more severe "reactions" which often disappear or slowly fade when he realizes he hasn't been poisoned. (But, for some reason he insists on continuing to look for other reasons that he may have been "poisoned" by the most inert things.)  Both my father and I have full blow Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, so I understand why we reacted in this way. I also have several cousins (same side of the family)  who have fairly severe Eating Disorders who also react in this way to certain things. As there is no physical cause, I can only guess it was a fear reaction. At least in our family, it has been common. Fear can be a potent symptom prompter. I've had to work over these fears, sometimes on my own, sometimes with a professional,  to prevent from putting myself into isolation, as my father and some of my cousins have done. It's a slippery slope and can be very pervasive.  Avoiding one common thing and then an other and so on and so on. My father, for instance, rarely leaves the house now in fear of coming in contact with his "triggers" and rarely has people over because of his fear of people bringing "poisons" into his home. He's a virtual prisoner in his own home, he requires his wife to "inspect" everything before it's brought into the house, leaves new products in his garage for up to a year to "decontaminate" before he will touch them,  and it's heart breaking to watch.  I can only see him about once a year, because of this, despite the fact that he only lives 10 miles from me. His example helped me to avoid that eventuality in my own life. Contamination phobias are, sadly, common in my family and can become very crippling and I do what I can to keep my thinking away from such things, as well as I am able to.

Of course it could be something completely different. That is just my experience with this kind of thing. Mileage and all that. :)

LoveDiva likes this.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#7 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

You know it is possible. Because I had noticed it got worse but mom had noticed a worsening of the diaper smell too. I no longer care for the child so I don't have to worry about the skin or the smell. I was amazed at how it lingered but foul that be my inagination too? Idk lol!!
#8 of 8 Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Thank you, LoveDiva for taking my post in the spirit in which it was intended. I know what it's like to be really afraid of triggering my own sensitivities and how I have to watch out for being too hyper-vigilant. I'm glad you understood that it was just one of many explanations. :Hug  I re-read my post and was really hoping it would only be seen as my experience and to help enlighten, perhaps. Thank you for your taking the post as I truly meant it to be read and understood.

Yeah, some babies have really amonia-y smelling diapers. I've done a lot of child care in the past and in my work as a lactation consultant and a doula, I see (smell) this once in a while. Maybe one in 10-20 babies or fewer than that.  It kind of burns my eyes and throat, but I don't know why it happens. It's happened consistently enough that I'm pretty sure it is the diaper, and not my being over vigilant.

I hope the meat thing doesn't happen again. Couldn't have been pleasant.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif

Tags
Vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page