Meal ideas- Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, mostly grain free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-13-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi all-

I was vegetarian for quite a long time (10 years) in my 20's and vegan for 4 of those.  I have been eating meat for 4 years (I craved it while pregnant with dd2 and just continued since then).  I am ready to get back to vegetarian or at least mostly vegetarian eating.  I ate a ton of processed soy and gluten products when I was vegetarian before and now don't eat soy or gluten.  I need some meals!  DD1 also shows interest in eating less meat, but DD2 is a MEAT eater and so is DH.  I don't want to make 2 meals every day, so it would be good if I could add meat to part of it for them.

A good example is burgers (we eat them with no bun), I can make us bean or garbanzo burgers and DH and dd2 can have beef burgers.

Send me your ideas and recipes!  Lunches seem particularly daunting to me.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#2 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We do a lot of beans: tostadas, quesadillas, beans in soup, taco salad. Eggs are a complete source of protein, so sometimes I serve sunnyside down eggs for dinner along with the rice and veggies. The kids love it, and it's easy. Stir fry rice is also an option. I have a panini maker and do lots of fun stuff with that, including tofu sometimes. I am not that fond of tofu so usually cheese wins out with the paninis. We are gluten free (dd and dh are Celiac) so we do mostly corn tortillas and GF bread. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 4 Old 10-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Dia

I'm vegan, I understand dietary restrictions. I hope this is helpful - one concept that I keep in mind and has really helped me is that I don't try to copy "normal" meals and make vegan versions of them. So for example I never even try to do stuff like dairy/ grain free pastas, pizzas, etc. I know it can be done but I don't think it can be done healthily.

What I do is create foods from a base of foods I like and do eat. So I will make a crockpot full of lentils and add all the herbs and spices I have in hand as well as any veggies. I'll do the same with any other bean, or quinoa. And I will always add in leafy greens to anything I make.
dbsam likes this.

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#4 of 4 Old 10-18-2013, 05:09 PM

I would get an Indian cookbook.  A lot of Indian dishes are both veggie, and soy and gluten free.  A really easy dish to make is this one. 

Serves 6

1 Tbs cumin seed (this might be too much for many people so you may want to use less the first time)

1 large onion, chopped

12 oz chopped tomatoes (2 medium) 

4-5 TBS ginger, diced

1 tsp salt

4 Tbs jalapeño pepper, diced (I leave this out b/c my kids find it too spicy)

3 cans of chickpeas, drained

1 cup coconut milk

7oz green onions, green parts only in 1/4" pieces (about 8 stalks)

In a medium pot on med-high heat, add 1/2 cup canola oil.  Add the cumin seeds and cook for 30 sec or so.  Add the onion and saute 8-10 min, or until brown.  Stir in tomatoes, salt, ginger and jalapeño peppers. Stir well.  Saute 5-8 min or until oil glistens on top.  Stir in chickpeas and coconut milk, bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-low, cover and simmer for 5-8 min, stirring once. Add green onions, stir and simmer for another minute. 

Serve alone, over rice or sautéed kale. 

Great for lunch or dinner.  

Tags
Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page