New Vegan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone!

We decided to become vegan on December 20th, 2013. So not that long ago, obviously. We see a big change in our kids, behavior wise, probably because they are all sensitive to dairy anyway. 

BUT all 5 kids are dropping weight. All of them started out pretty thin anyway, but now....... :(  We are offering nut butters like crazy, raisins, all the milks we can (even adding *gasp* chocolate syrup for now)  but nothing is really adding the weight back. I'm dousing pasta in oil every time we make it, and I'm almost afraid to give them more veggies instead of globs of peanut butter. 

We are on a fairly tight budget. We are also dealing with picky eaters that have been turning noses up at foods. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the weight loss to a minimum?

My husband is wanting to add regular milk and cheese back into their diets. Won't that undo the good changes we've had?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 AM

It sounds like you are doing a good job of offering higher calorie choices. How old are your children? Do you know how much they have lost in the past few weeks?
#3 of 5 Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

They are ages 2, 4, 5, 6, and 9. The 9 year old makes the biggest fuss on things, but is trying. He is down 2 pounds, though. Everyone else is down 1-2 pounds.

I tried smoothies this morning, with coconut milk ice cream. They don't even like those. :(

#4 of 5 Old 01-25-2014, 10:15 PM

Avocado/guacamole??

DS: Logan 6/14/10 nocirc.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 PM

I would talk to a nutritionist if you can afford it, they have amazing and healthy ideas.  Remember you want to add healthy weight, not just weight for the sake of the scale.  If you cant see a nutritionist, at least consult your pediatrician.  Veganism a very tricky diet, its easy to become mal-nourished.  As far as your husbands idea to add some dairy back in, just remember all things in moderation.  I was a strict vegan for over eight years, but over the course of the last few years I have reincorporated some organic grass fed dairy, and eggs from my pet chickens.  I must say as much as I believe in the concept of Veganism, it is a very difficult lifestyle, and one that can be frustrating in social situations (kids wanting cake, ice cream and pizza at a friends birthday party for example).  Whatever you choose, just remember that eating vegan most of the time with occasional dairy is still an extremely healthy life choice (and good for animals, and good for mama earth!)  Don't get to caught up in labels, just focus on being healthy.  Congrats on your new lifestyle and good luck!! :)

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page