Compromising with a Carnivore - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know this is a tall order but I'm about to pull my hair out that my husband and I agree on NOTHING food wise. Whatever I like he hates and vise versa. What are your go-to freezer/crock pot or generally easy meals that even a carnivore will like? 

Or should I just make individual sizes and still them in the freezer but I really don't  want to start that because when DD gets older I don't want to be making 3 meals or 4 when we have another kid etc. 

#2 of 9 Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Dia

The way we handle it in our house is, I cook vegan meals for myself, and my son, and my husband. If he wants non veg food, in addition or instead, which is fairly often, he gets it or makes it himself.

Basically my husband and I understand that we have different preferences where it comes to food and we respect that. There are never any disagreements.

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#3 of 9 Old 01-27-2014, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Are you comfortable cooking meat? The way we do it is we either have a fully vegetarian meal or we have a shared component and a meat/vegetarian component.

For example, if we're having steak and veggies I will cook mushrooms for DH and we will all eat the other veggies. Or, if I'm doing a stir fry, I will marinate meat and tofu in the same marinade (different bowls, obviously). Then cook the veggies and rice and top them with the meat or tofu.

It does mean cooking an extra component but we are eating essentially the same meal. We do also have a whole heap of freezer meals, both meat and vegetarian for work lunches and nights when it's all too hard. Those are our opportunity to eat things the other person doesn't like. All DH's freezer meals have chilli in them :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 9 Old 01-27-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My husband is an omnivore but he's also not fond of cooking so he usually eats vegan.  That said, he is not quite the fan of beans and rice that I am.  Here are some of his favorite vegan things that I cook: Portobello mushroom sandwiches (with roasted red peppers, spinach, and chive mayo - I grow chives and chop them up in some veganaise), chili, minestrone soup, chickpea salad sandwiches (like mock tuna salad), vegan meatloaf with mashed potatoes, homemade pizza (I put dairy cheese on his and daiya on mine), veggies with peanut sauce over rice, spaghetti with homemade marinara.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#5 of 9 Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 PM

I feel you!  We are having the same issues, and I don't allow uncooked meat in the house (cooked meat for DH in the form of sandwich stuff and tv dinners is ok because I don't have to see/smell it!)  Lately though, my husband started complaining that he was never full, I really don't want to incorporate meat into meals for him because mainly I don't want my daughter growing up thinking its ok to eat meat (she is 14 months and wants everything we have).  So, now I make DH sit down and discuss dinners before I go to the store.  I cook vegetarian meals that he likes and that fill him up (and he has agreed to just have a late night sandwich or something if he still wants meat).   So, I guess I'm saying, try some compromising?  Good luck!

#6 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardendweller View Post

I feel you!  We are having the same issues, and I don't allow uncooked meat in the house (cooked meat for DH in the form of sandwich stuff and tv dinners is ok because I don't have to see/smell it!)  Lately though, my husband started complaining that he was never full, I really don't want to incorporate meat into meals for him because mainly I don't want my daughter growing up thinking its ok to eat meat (she is 14 months and wants everything we have).  So, now I make DH sit down and discuss dinners before I go to the store.  I cook vegetarian meals that he likes and that fill him up (and he has agreed to just have a late night sandwich or something if he still wants meat).   So, I guess I'm saying, try some compromising?  Good luck!

I swear I could have written this myself! I'm really not ok with my daughter eating meat but I know she will want to if papa does... I'm fine with lunch meat and pre-made meat crap, we always do half and half if we order a pizza or something. However, whenever I want his imput on dinner he just says everything I make is gross :( Thankfully he works at the same place as his dad and they carpool to work. My mother-in-law makes food for both of them on the weekdays so he only has to deal with "gross vegetarian stuff" on the weekends. Also, I've incorporated fish into our diet but I don't really want to eat fish or tacos every day. 

gardendweller likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! I think I do need to make him more involved on food. 

#8 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

In our house, I'm the carnivore who can't eat wheat, my husband is a vegetarian and daughter is intolerant to dairy and allergic to food colors.. And after 2 yrs of frustration, we have finally figured out a way that works for us. We have a freezer, crockpot and pressure cooker. 

Anytime I make a dal, bean dish or a vegetarian curry, if its freezable, I make it in bulk and freeze at least 3-4 extra meals in ziploc and lay them flat and freeze. The vegetarian bean/lentil dishes we like to cook in bulk in crockpot and freeze for later are - black bean chili with green peppers, brown lentil dal, mixed yellow dal, black eyes beans in tomato-onion based sauce. Other than this, I cook garbanzo beans in bulk and freeze in meal sized portions to thaw and use later in a dish. We also made burritos with large tortillas, filled with tomato based sauce, rice, beans and cheese and frozen these burritos later for lunches. 

I make meatballs in bulk - around 100 or more at a time and put them in gallon sized ziplocs and freeze them flat. The meatballs don't get stuck with each other and easy to take apart for DD's lunches. Her's get made with bread crumbs, my batch is more spicier and gets made with almond flour. We label them with DD's and my name clearly. 

Chicken wings are easy to cook in crock-pot.. We double layer it at the bottom with aluminum foil, add the chicken wings and add whatever spices we like, oil, etc and let it cook. This is again frozen flat in gallon sized ziplocs. Easy to heat up in microwave or counter-top oven. 

There was a recipe for Adobo chicken made with chicken thighs which was super easy in crockpot - chicken thighs cooked for 3 hrs in a mixture of vinegar, soy sauce and spices.. Easy to freeze and reuse later in other dishes. I'm yet to try other marinades and with other liquids. I didn't like the vinegary taste or soy sauce... but the texture of chicken was perfect for the first time.

We have baked chicken thighs, drumsticks, fish like tilapia/salmon etc, and flat frozen them and have had great results.

We boil eggs at night time - peel and store them in a container in the fridge for morning breakfast or for salad lunches. We dont freeze these and the eggs stay fine for 3 days in the fridge.

This has saved our marriage in a big way - as I was about to have a break down from planning, cooking multiple things after DH became vegetarian. He doesn't like to cook or pack his own lunch, but after we started the bulk cooking and planning, he has been doing the dishes every day. IF I plan on cooking bulk, he'll help me in whatever way I ask. He still doesn't mind cutting a whole chicken [he was a nonvegetarian for most of his life and was used to cutting chicken. But after he became vegetarian, I didn't ask him, but he has no issues cutting the chicken or beef into cubes for us.

Pizza dough / crusts can be premade and frozen for later use. I don't do this anymore as I cant resist the baking with yeast smell... It makes me want to eat the darn pizza made with wheat.. We just buy ready made crust these days and let DD use her daiya cheese to her hearts content and we bake it. DD and DH eats this... But you can try baking your  own pizza and save some pizza crusts for later.... When you are ready to make pizza, everybody puts whatever toppings they want.. Your DH can take roasted or grilled chicken pieces in the freezer, and add to his pizza..  

Same for pasta.. You make a everybody-can-eat-pasta and he can heat up some chicken or meatballs from freezer and add to his portion.. 

You make a sandwich for everybody; he can add to his sandwich by warming some roast beef or chicken or fish from the freezer. 

Sorry, too long post! :( 

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#9 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Your long post was very appreciated!!

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page