Soy issues, and family veg cooking - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-27-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wondering if any other vegans/ vegetarian mamas have issues with soy? I have been struggling to be a vegetarian/vegan (Hard to convert DH/kids, stick with it, I am a SAHM so DH holds the purse strings, etc). I have been wanting to get back into the swing of it, but last time I went full flege this happened:

I have never been a big soy fan. In the past (before kids/when kids were babies) when I was veg/vegan I didn't eat many soy products. This time around, trying to tailor a veg lifestyle for my family, I was using a lot more soy (older boys preferred soy milk above others, a lot of fake meats they liked had soy, a few recipes they really enjoyed had tofu). Not to mention in the past year my mom went from vegetarian to vegan (she's in her late 50's), and makes tons of soy & tofu- laden foods (from scratch). That are amazing, I might add. The problem is, when I tried to go veg with the whole family and was eating more soy, or when I go to my moms and scarf down a bunch of yummy baked tofu, My neck breaks out like CRAZY. My NECK. Also my chest.Yuck. I don't normally break out on my neck, or much at all elsewhere and I'm almost 30. I also feel like i get more mood swings and when I'm close to my moon I have way worse pms symptoms, especially breakouts/emotional stuff. I do not have any digestive issues with soy like some people have, all of my problems seem more hormonal.

Anyone else have these issues? Thoughts on soy? Should I avoid it for the most part with my kids, or just avoid it myself? Favorite alternatives? 

Thank you! :)

#2 of 3 Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Anyone have any experience with soy?
#3 of 3 Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you think it causes your skin to break out, then by all means, avoid it! The good news is that there is tons of great soy-free food out there for vegans! If your kids aren't sensitive to it, it's a great food, and soy milk is cheaper, and will keep them out of your almond milk. Also, you can get hemp tofu now.

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page