Looking for some good Crockpot recipes (fish, poultry, and vegetarian only) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my crockpot but only have a couple recipes for it. I am really into cooking but I'm realizing with the three kids I'm never going to be able to stay on top of my house if I don't simplify in some areas. So, I'm looking for Crockpot recipes that can be the whole meal, KWIM? I'd love others that are good too but I especially would like ones that have the protien, carb and vegetable all in one. TIA!
#2 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 05:47 PM

Soups are great in the slow-cooker. I often make lentil soup (check out my other posts for more specifics; I've posted my un-recipe here several times) in mine, as well as vegetable, bean, and chicken soups.

I can't think of a kind of fish that wouldn't suffer mightily from slow cooking. Maybe you could do a tuna casserole, but I wouldn't try it with a ffish fillet or steak.

Try www.justslowcooking.com for a LOT of recipes, organized by categories.

HTH.
~nick
#3 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 06:13 PM

Nick, I saw you post that link somewhere else, too, and had checked it out. It is awesome! Thanks.

I don't have too many recipes that are ALL in one. Usually I make a salad if there's no veggie. Or I have one that's essentially chicken and brocolli in a white sauce, covered in cheese. Then I make a grain separately to serve it on. But I agree soups and stews will probably work well for you!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#4 of 14 Old 04-28-2004, 07:16 PM

I like to put in a couple of chicken breasts, some chicken or vegi broth, a cut up onion, a couple of cut up potatoes and carrots, some black pepper and herbs, and whatever else suits your fancy. Make sure there is enough liquid. It's really good, and in fact this is my favorite way to make chicken because it is sooooo tender and flavorful.
#5 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies ladies. You're making me very hungry!
#6 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 08:08 PM

I love soup in the Crockpot as well.
zucchini, squash, peppers, onions, lots of garlic, baby spinach, diced tomatoes, broth.....and diced chicken breasts. you can dice them yourself, or cheat and get the Tyson brand that sells it already cooked and diced for you in the frozen food aisle.

lentils are good, as well as navy beans. Piglet has a terrific curried lentil recipe that her husband makes. i can post it for you if you'd like.

or maybe try this one.....30 oz bag of shredded hash browns mixed with a can of cream of celery soup, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup of milk, salt pepper and one cup of shredded cheese. place this mixture into your greased slow cooker. then place 4-6 browned chicken breasts seasoned with salt pepper, garlic and whatever else you like. cook on low or high....i like low for several hours....i'm not sure of an exact number! the last 10 minutes, sprinkle some more shredded cheese over the chicken if you'd like.

diced chicken with some broth, diced tomatoes, chicken, a small package of frozen spinach and some cheese tortellini is also good.
#7 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaby3
lentils are good, as well as navy beans. Piglet has a terrific curried lentil recipe that her husband makes. i can post it for you if you'd like.
Yes please! Thanks for all of your others suggestions too!
#8 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 08:22 PM

Ok, here is Piglets DH's recipes for absolutely delicious curried lentils!

~*Here is the recipe for 1 lb of lentils (I like red lentils the best for this dish, though you can make it with green ones, too):

1 eight oz can coconut milk
1/4 cup curry paste
1 tbsp of your fave asian hot sauce (I like Sambal Oelek myself)
1/4 cup brown sugar

Boil the lentils until tender, add the coconut milk first, then stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer until you reach the desired consistency.

DH doesn't use measurements when he cooks, so you might want to adjust for taste. He usually makes a big batch so I can use it for 3 or 4 days. I never seem to get tired of it, lol.

It's so simple, but it tastes fabulous! I eat it over rice (brown or white). *~

If Piglet reads this, i am so happy i have this recipe!!!
#9 of 14 Old 04-30-2004, 05:28 AM

I like to put frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot, coat with taco seasoning. When done (few hrs. on low) shred chicken and add a can of black beans. Serve on tortillas with cheese, onion, tomato, salsa. Chicken tacos! Very easy.
#10 of 14 Old 04-30-2004, 08:59 AM

The chicken-taco recipe sounds yummy. I will have to try that, soon.

I'm posting again, however, to second the recommendation for Piglet's lentil curry. I made it last week, LOVED it, ate all the leftovers, and am dying to make another batch. The only downside is that it made DP a little, how shall we say, unpleasant to be under the covers with? Anyone know how to cut down on the flatulence factor? 'Sokay, I will happily make and eat it all myself in the future... !

~nick
#11 of 14 Old 04-30-2004, 09:05 AM

Jengi33, we make the same recipe, only with pork. We eat chicken a lot and so sometimes we want a break. It's great for shredded pork tacos!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#12 of 14 Old 04-30-2004, 02:09 PM

That Curried Lentil recipe looks YUMMY! Now, is it done in the crockpot? Do you cook the lentils first, then mix it all together to simmer in the crock? Advice?

Also, I've always read to cut down on gassiness with beans, add them gradually to your diet. We eat beans a lot, so I don't really notice. It can be more of a problem if you suddenly introduce a lot of beans into a previously bean-light diet. Anyone else heard this?

#13 of 14 Old 04-30-2004, 02:14 PM

this is quite a boring use, but I love my crockpot baked potatoes. Wash each potato, wrap in foil, and stand them on end in the pot. For 4 baking size potoatoes, on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6. They come out not dried out, and perfect.
#14 of 14 Old 04-30-2004, 02:22 PM

Oh yes! I do potatoes, too. BUt I don't even wrap them in foil. I just wash, poke a few holes (don't know why, but growing up, we always poked 'em before baking) and place them in. I keep them in all day, but I like them a bit mushy, so the longer the better for me. My dh thought I was crazy when I first did it, but was impressed by the results!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page